Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is your local council introducing a £1.60 connection charge plus 15p/kWh..
And when you move off the charger you then need to pay for parking!
This move does nothing to Encourage EV use and ownership!
It means that you are cheaper to drive a gas guzzler pollution creating vehicle.
IF this strategy works ... Will your council follow this same model?
So please consider that your council could be next!!

This policy is a retrograde step.
It is unfair on small battery EVs and hybrids will be better burning fuel than paying the charges!!

Is this going to have a positive business, environment or visitor impact on Fife. Imho. NO!

Is this the most expensive Council run charge network in the UK?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
This has come up before, my 2 pence worth...

In East Lothian, for example, who also charge, the network is all-new, reliable and plentiful. Though no use to me as I live there, lol.

In Edinburgh, where charging is still free, things could not get any worse. It's absolutely shocking for Scotland's capital city. I don't think Glasgow is any better. The same with the Borders region, sporadic single site rapids that may work for you...

I'm happy to pay for a reliable service, even if I do think the CPS system has become a disjointed mess with an outdated app.

Cheers

·
Registered
185 Posts
The charges seem not unreasonable to me but...The Scottish have a reputation for being "careful with their money" (Tight) 😂
At least your council is providing chargers, those, (and there are very few of them anyway), I would use in Birmingham are all out of service. Consider yourself lucky!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The glory days if relatively few EVs and reliable free rapids is well and truly over. Any free rapids that do happen work have become makeshift taxi ranks. Even electric courier vans are now hogging free public chargers. Happy to pay for a service as atm all long journeys are done in the old diesel.

Talking of which... I love to change the diesel for either a Golf GTE or MG but as it would be the main family car I’m thinking GTE.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
It's the fact that if you are in an EV you pay to charge then you pay to park!
If they were being forwarded thinking why would the cost of ICE parking not be increased? Increased income then gets used to install more EV parking and charging infrastructure.

The fact that they are charging would be ok... But the kWh charging rate and the connection cost is not related.. ie it's a flat rate connection fee regardless of charger type or speed?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,885 Posts
And penalising ICE could be seen as a form of regressive taxation as the average EV is more expensive than the average ICE.

A bit like charging per unit of alcohol rather than on the cost of the product - oh, they do that in Scotland already.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The charges seem not unreasonable to me but...The Scottish have a reputation for being "careful with their money" (Tight) 😂
Yep, Agile should only be for Scots 😂

Besides, when public charging it’s common to find a few coins on the ground to subside the cost of the rapid, lol!

·
Registered
205 Posts
And penalising ICE could be seen as a form of regressive taxation as the average EV is more expensive than the average ICE.

A bit like charging per unit of alcohol rather than on the cost of the product - oh, they do that in Scotland already.
Alcohol minimum pricing in Scotland is not additional taxation AIUI - the duty is the same as in the rest of the U.K.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,885 Posts
True, but it means more to the drinker of Buckie than a drinker of Champagne. Interestingly the health argument could be applied to penalising ICE rather than EVs, but I hope that there is no intention of forcing us all to drink Champagne - foul stuff (as I suspect Buckie is but I've never tried it).

·
Registered
232 Posts
I assume this charger is a rapid charger as that would be taking the piss if it only gave 3kW.

Polar Instant have a minimum charge of £1.20 and I have seen charges of 25p/kWh. So not miles away from them

For the few times a year you need to use them it paying what ever they as for is just going to be the cost. Would you rather not have the option to charge the car?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Gotta pay for all that free charging you Scots leached previously
Indeed, reckon I save £4k+ in petrol money :ROFLMAO:

But to be honest, with Go/Agile charging is peanuts. So no longer have to camp out at free rapids late into the night in the middle of winter with no heater, lol!

Reactions: Maffewem

·
Registered
650 Posts
Indeed, reckon I save £4k+ in petrol money :ROFLMAO:

But to be honest, with Go/Agile charging is peanuts. So no longer have to camp out at free rapids late into the night in the middle of winter with no heater, lol!
yeah I wish I could get agile but love in rural area so can’t get smart meter

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
yeah I wish I could get agile but love in rural area so can’t get smart meter
Yeah, could not get a smart meter at my last house as deep in the countryside and in a dip so zero signal :) Did have solar on the original FIT & RHI though :) Swings in roundabouts. Some lucky bu99ers have both, lol.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, could not get a smart meter at my last house as deep in the countryside and in a dip so zero signal :) Did have solar on the original FIT & RHI though :) Swings in roundabouts. Some lucky bu99ers have both, lol.
Heeeeeyyy, I resemble that remark. :cool:

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, charging the actual normal retail price of the leccy and adding £1.60 for use of the charger, then.

They're not going to get rich on that are they?
No but neither will it encourage EVs to move off the chargers at 80% or before. Or you then have to pay for parking as well as your charge and connection.
It means PHEVS are now cheaper chucking out fumes than charging up?
If you have a large battery I guess it's not so bad but small battery EVs and PHEVS will be disadvantaged. Or will just park on the charges all day to avoid parking fees..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Subsidised motoring was never going to last, nor should it.
Even ICE is subsidised with government investment and subsidies for oil companies as well as tax breaks.

I'm not looking for subsidy. I'm looking for equality!
Fast or slow chargers are still £1.60 connection fee.
Hogging a charge point will now be advantageous.. ie if you are plugged in you are not having to pay the additional parking costs. So sitting in a charger all day and night now makes more sense Vs doing the right and proper thing if letting another EV or phev plug in?

Or just drive a car with emissions and you only pay for parking.. multiply the parking savings across a year and a diesel or petrol could now make more sense!
That's just not right is it. Or am I simply wrong and it should be ok if EVs just plug in all day and night to save parking fees?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts