Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article is for Kia Soul, but also mentions e-Niro as only available in one trim level, like Soul, in UK.
The e-Niro arrives in March costing £33,000 after the £3,500 Government grant. One 64kWh battery, one trim grade, just pick a colour. Simple.
Finance from £389 a month. I know. Ouch. But less than a tenner for a full tank. Sweeeet.

It’s the sun so take with a pinch of salt, but seems to be a common thread in media info at the mo.

Kia Soul has long-range electric battery and is cheaper and chunkier than rivals

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
I could live with that as long as the spec is good and it includes an app. Back in the day a top spec Tekna Leaf 24 was around £300 even with the deals Nissan was doing.

·
Registered
896 Posts
This article is for Kia Soul, but also mentions e-Niro as only available in one trim level, like Soul, in UK.
The e-Niro arrives in March costing £33,000 after the £3,500 Government grant. One 64kWh battery, one trim grade, just pick a colour. Simple.
Finance from £389 a month. I know. Ouch. But less than a tenner for a full tank. Sweeeet.

It’s the sun so take with a pinch of salt, but seems to be a common thread in media info at the mo.

Kia Soul has long-range electric battery and is cheaper and chunkier than rivals
Yes, I expect that it will be from £389/month, but with about £4-£5K down and 3 years like the Hyundai Kona. So thats about £530/month for 8-10K miles pa.

When the Jag i-Pace was available at the best deals, this worked out £500/month all in for 10K p.a. inc deposit etc for a £62K car. Just to put some perspective on it.

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
Yes, I expect that it will be from £389/month, but with about £4-£5K down and 3 years like the Hyundai Kona. So thats about £530/month for 8-10K miles pa.

When the Jag i-Pace was available at the best deals, this worked out £500/month all in for 10K p.a. inc deposit etc for a £62K car. Just to put some perspective on it.
That was lease though, so you get nothing at the end. With PCP at least you will probably have a quite significant trade-in.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
But can you get one of those deals now? They were only there for a short while.

For me, I'll switch from the Kona to the Niro for £33k, and this isn't the only report I've seen, I think it was Drive Electric suggesting the Niro will be the same or less than the Kona

·
Registered
896 Posts
But can you get one of those deals now? They were only there for a short while.

For me, I'll switch from the Kona to the Niro for £33k, and this isn't the only report I've seen, I think it was Drive Electric suggesting the Niro will be the same or less than the Kona
JLR is in a complete mess at the moment. I can't say too much, but I expect that these deals may be back at some point. It will depend on how quickly you need a car.

I have had a few meetings in the last week with Auto HQ's and the car market is in turmoil. Many companies are not making any profit at all in the UK or very low levels of profit. They are racing to make EV's and sell them at a profit.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
They are racing to make EV's and sell them at a profit.
Whether they're making much profit on them or not, the Kona and Niro are selling at list price, and the Kona price even went up, which must be a new and even weird experience for a business where discounts and deals are the norm.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,135 Posts
A lot of people are going to look at a £32,000 Korean car and then look at the equivalent petrol car, which can be found pre-reg for £16,000. That's well over 100,000 miles worth of petrol difference.

...People are going to have to really want electric cars....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
A lot of people are going to look at a £32,000 Korean car and then look at the equivalent petrol car, which can be found pre-reg for £16,000. That's well over 100,000 miles worth of petrol difference.

If it was just fuel, yes. Fuel, road tax, and maintenance improve the equation but still not enough. It's going to be cities that exclude ICEs or levy daily charges that will swing it for some.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

My man maths says it does work out. Fuel difference over 100k miles is £10k, resale difference will probably be the rest of it and then there's the other savings, road tax, repairs, mots etc.
£16k doesn't buy an equivalent ICE, that would be a lot lower spec, unless you've seen something I haven't.

But I am ordering so I may be biased. I am very tight though and my man maths usually works out!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,135 Posts
I don't disagree with either of the last two posts, but it's not me looking at the immediately visible numbers, it's other people who need persuading and it doesn't come across as persuasive.

Similarly it could be by PCH so there is no question of resale value and repair costs. You can get a Kona for £200 pm on the same basic terms as the BEV for £450pm. That buys 25,000 of fuel a year.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts