Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time at a supercharger to make sure it works ok. Is the speed you can expect if not preconditioned at a starting charge of around 65 percent? The charger set it to 80 percent. Maybe I should have moved it to see if it speeds up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Kinda normal if the battery is cold, how many miles did you drive to the supercharger and what's the outside temperature?

Moving the percentage up won't change the speed, the state of charge would affect it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kinda normal if the battery is cold, how many miles did you drive to the supercharger and what's the outside temperature?

Moving the percentage up won't change the speed, the state of charge would affect it.
Only travelled about 10 miles plus stopped for an hour beforehand. I thought the supercharger slows down the nearer to the finish line?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Only travelled about 10 miles plus stopped for an hour beforehand. I thought the supercharger slows down the nearer to the finish line?
It will slow down nearer full, setting the line at which you want it to charge to won't impact that.

Yeah that sounds like a cold battery to me so unfortunately/(or fortunately) 17 kW is certainly in the realms of normal.

Try it again with 15% state of charge, on a mild/warm day after having been driving and pre-conditioned for 30 minutes beforehand and you can expect to be seeing close to 170kW or more if you have the Long Range.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Seems weird to me that there are suggestions this is normal for a cold battery, looks ludicrously slow.

As you're trying for the first time, I guess this is a fresh of the boat from China model, so with LFP ( not making any assumptions, just stating)

What was the outside temperature?

SR+ or long range?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems weird to me that there are suggestions this is normal for a cold battery, looks ludicrously slow.

As you're trying for the first time, I guess this is a fresh of the boat from China model, so with LFP ( not making any assumptions, just stating)

What was the outside temperature?

SR+ or long range?
Yes it’s the new LFP. Outside temp was about 5 degrees and it’s a SR+

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yes it’s the new LFP. Outside temp was about 5 degrees and it’s a SR+
Yeah that's normal for my 2019 Model 3 SR+

Just a little more driving beforehand, a little less full battery or a couple of degrees higher temperature and you could be seeing double that speed.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,635 Posts
Of course if the OP had left it for a few minutes, the charging speed would increase due to the pack temperature increasing.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,901 Posts
We were charging at a supercharger a couple of weeks ago, a guy a couple of stalls away in a 21 plate approached us and asked what speeds we were getting.

I told him and enquired as to his, and with a frown he replied it was only just into double figures. When I asked how full the battery was he said it was just over 80%, and had only popped out to ‘check it was working’. Somehow he was expecting a lot higher.

When you really need a charge, on a long trip or when your battery percentage is low it will be a lot different.

·
Registered
111 Posts
enabling climate from the app will precondition the battery. Also if you set the supercharger as the destination in the sat nav it will precondition.
If you have dots on the regen display then this is a clue to cold battery
Pic

·
Registered
105 Posts
Clearly my assumption was wrong!

Good to know what is normal, and that it would go up. ( I don't have a model 3... yet)

I'm much more used to the Ioniq's power curve ( max power up to 77%) however I suppose that's always after a long trip so it would be toasty, and I've never tried cold.

This curve (from ABRP on Twitter) suggests that in optimal conditions power should be up to ~60kW at 65%, so more than triple what OP is getting. Is this consistent with what people see?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Clearly my assumption was wrong!

This curve (from ABRP on Twitter) suggests that in optimal conditions power should be up to ~60kW at 65%, so more than triple what OP is getting. Is this consistent with what people see?
View attachment 143316
Yes that's right if the battery had been warmed and preconditioned prior to charging, but as the OP had barely driven to the supercharger it was basically an asleep battery in cold conditions so you won't get the highest possible speed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My first Supercharger experience was a quick 24 mile drive to the nearest location. I think it was September or October so not particularly warm and I had enabled the destination so it pre-warmed. The battery was below 50% and I only saw 24kw on two stalls. Separate V1 cabinets so I knew something about charging.

Later after watching Bjorn vids and installing Scan my Tesla I began to learn how the battery temp was managed. Simply facts are a cold battery can take a long to time to warm to even mid-20s which is no where near the 40C+ temp target that Tesla sets for optimum charging.

The average temp in the UK is only 10 C so half the year you might struggle to get the battery up to an ideal temp without a long pre-heat, 30 mins of supercharger pre-heat or hammering it like Bjorn to arrive with 3% and a very hot battery!

I'll have to re-check but I think if the regen dots are between N & D on the display then the battery is in the low 20S for temp and they disappear by 25 DegC.

EDIT: The display changed so my previous rough measure is defunct now.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Here you can see what you can expect if you've been driving for 32 minutes (fairly briskly-if you drive slowly the battery won't warm as quickly) whilst preconditioning the whole journey, also the outside temperature is quite a bit warmer. But possibly the most crucial factor, I started charging with about 17% state of charge as you can see I'd already added 23kWh by the time I reached 65%

Also you can see setting the target limit doesn't affect the charging speed.

But I have certainly seen the low figures that the OP has under the same circumstances as him.

·
Registered
371 Posts
enabling climate from the app will precondition the battery. Also if you set the supercharger as the destination in the sat nav it will precondition.
If you have dots on the regen display then this is a clue to cold battery
Pic
is there any way to precondition the battery when in the car without navigating to a supercharger? Like you’re driving to your parents house but might pop into a supercharger on the way, or you’re navigating to a third party charger?

·
Registered
111 Posts
is there any way to precondition the battery when in the car without navigating to a supercharger? Like you’re driving to your parents house but might pop into a supercharger on the way, or you’re navigating to a third party charger?
I'm not sure. But here's a link that may help

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
No, well maybe drive it like you stole it as that would generate heat. The P models of the MS and MX you can turn on battery heating but thats not an option on the M3

·
Registered
1 Posts
The key here that nobody has mentioned is that the op says the charger set the limit to 80%. This only happens at a V2 installation where more than 50% of the stalls were being used, therefore i suspect the op was sharing a stall. The first car to plug in gets as much charge as it needs and the second car 'gets what's left'. Whilst some of the reduction is likely a result of a cool battery i suspect the majority is because of stall sharing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts