Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took delivery of my Ampera there was this little plastic bag with a bracket in the boot.
On investigation it seems that this should have been fitted to the car as part of the PDI. Has yours been fitted?
It is to stop us end users taking the cap of the bottle. :?:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,059 Posts
Mine was in boot where the warning triangle should have been ;-)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello Ray,

I've assumed that Ampera owners have researched extensively on the Internet the path the Chevy Volt has followed here in the USA but perhaps not. The Chevy Volt blog will give you access to the complete story.

The bracket you are discussing is part of GM's improvement of the Volt as originally manufactured. I don't know at what point the US made Volts started to have this bracket added on the production line but I had assumed any Volt/Ampera produced after April, 2012. In the transition period from January to April here in the USA however these parts were first sent to dealers when they did the enhancements of the early production Volts and then for a short while just added to the shipped production cars with this bracket placed in the boot or front floor area of the car.

I was surprised any Ampera cars at all didn't already have this as Ampera production was delayed as you know presumably to have these items added during production before shipping to Europe not post production.

The following are some posts by others explaining a little about the purpose of the bracket and how it relates to the Volt/Ampera

“As for the tamper-proof cap, I think this is just a good opportunity to do something they should have done in the first place. Since the battery thermal system is very sensitive and requires deionized water and a special coolant, you don't want oil change places, shade tree mechanics or unknowing owners putting stuff in there, such as tap water or windshield washer fluid.”

“I've posted this before, but it's worth posting it again in this thread.

Interesting fact in the NHTSA site documentation: If the new level sensor detects low battery coolant level, the Volt's control system will run the battery down to a very low level as you drive and will not allow charging.

So, the sensor is not just level indicator. It is used for significant automatic control action that will quickly take your battery offline and leave you solely on under-powered ICE electrical generation. It will motivate all but a small percentage of owners to bring their car in for immediate servicing. Based on this, you have the believe that GM engineers have determined that low battery coolant level is a possible precursor to a very serious future event.

My view (as a professional engineer who has dealt with safety matters): Follow GM's advice and make this change.”

"The second involves adding a sensor that detects excessive HV battery coolant loss, and control system software that then alerts the driver and prevents recharging of the HV battery. When the battery cannot be recharged, it will be depleted to a lower energy state as the vehicle continues to operate on the internal combustion “

Hope this helps your new owners.

Ross

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I shall be calling my dealer tomorrow to get confirmation that the battery mod has been done on my car especially as the bracket is missing.

Thanks REB for the heads up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dealer sent a technician out to fit the bracket on mine a week or so after I picked it up. The bracket was in the boot when I got the car.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More like 15-20 mins as they have to take the whole of the cover off the car - the bit of plastic in front of the coolant bottles that goes between the wings about 8 or 9 clips IIRC. Then it is a bit of a fiddle with a ring or open ended spanner to release the bolt then put the bracket, bolt and cover back on. At least that what it was in my case. You may be lucky :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts