Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 156 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,575 Posts
As per earlier in the thread, winter conditions bring denser air (harder to push) thicker fluids in your reduction gear, stiffer tyres so higher rolling resistance, and damp roads which also increase rolling resistance, and colder batteries which store and release less energy. None of these appear in ancillary usage, because they are not!

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
First properly cold morning today around 0 degrees - I got a reading of about 75 on the GOM and after a 24 mile commute reading 36. Mostly eco-pro but I did get bored and had a little bit of fun ;)

Seems perfectly acceptable to me - I should also add I am not really doing anything to try and conserve range, so I have heating and everything set to normal levels (22 degrees AC)

·
BMW i3 Rex
216 Posts
This sort of range reduction is much the same as we had with the Leaf. Perhaps I see a little more with the i3, but with the Rex we don't try to be economical with the heating.

Incidentally the Leaf's GOM would show a much larger ranger reduction with heating on - perhaps as much as 15 miles. The i3 shows much less. I suspect the former is pessimistic, the latter optimistic.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,599 Posts
Why no joy? Which one?
Knutsford North CCS DC unit faulty and IKEA Warrington other DC unit faulty so Nissan Leaf on unit with CCS so did not get chance to try it but it was broken last week, I travel around fixing stuff so can only stop for 15 mins except on lunch break so if map not up to date then monitoring not working is a bit frustrating when info no good.

BTW the Leaf just got there same time as me, should of seen how quick grabbed the Chademo as apparently lives nearby and uses it everyday so knew other unit not working.

They should have doubled up on all connectors having only one with CCS is no good, BMW and VW need to put more money into public rapids and start adding more now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The sooner Leaf become inline with the EU standard of CCS the better for everyone. Mixed Charging standards are setting the adoption back.

Q Leaf drivers....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Yes this is precisely my experience. Tomorrow I am doing one of my "standard" journeys which previously has alway had 10 miles or more left on my return home. According to the winter predictions I will be 10 miles short. Hmmmm... Always useful to have real world data.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes this is precisely my experience. Tomorrow I am doing one of my "standard" journeys which previously has alway had 10 miles or more left on my return home. According to the winter predictions I will be 10 miles short. Hmmmm... Always useful to have real world data.
Do you have a heat pump?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The sooner Leaf become inline with the EU standard of CCS the better for everyone. Mixed Charging standards are setting the adoption back.

Q Leaf drivers....
The Ikea chargers are part of the EU rapid charge network.

If you look on their website they say that Nissan "lead" on funding - which I take to mean they are giving more cash.

Nissan had already committed to Chademo before the EU decided to adopt ccs as a standard last year - hard to expect them to suddenly switch now and would not be fair to existing Leaf / imiev / outlander / ion drivers.

Would hope we can look at contention of rapid chargers without blaming / judging other brands.

Chademo equipped cars remain the biggest selling segment of ev's in Europe though according to an article on Clean Technica yesterday.

And ccs remains the eu standard.

So suspect we will live with all 3 till inductive charging comes that can rapid charge. Then we need to press for standardisation.

In the meantime, would suggest we see queues as a positive - more ev's on the road.

And following the advice of the Serenity prayer, the things we CAN change are

1.) Drive as economically as possible while staying safe. Good for the planet, your pocket and minimising queues.

2.) Work for more 32 amp 6 kw charging. Many Leafs, i3's and Zoe's get 30 miles charge an hour from these. As cheap as £500 installed when suppprted by zero carbon world and if these points are at your destination can remove the need for rapid charges - and seem for the moment more reliable.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The Ikea chargers are part of the EU rapid charge network.

If you look on their website they say that Nissan "lead" on funding - which I take to mean they are giving more cash.

Nissan had already committed to Chademo before the EU decided to adopt ccs as a standard last year - hard to expect them to suddenly switch now and would not be fair to existing Leaf / imiev / outlander / ion drivers.

Would hope we can look at contention of rapid chargers without blaming / judging other brands.

Chademo equipped cars remain the biggest selling segment of ev's in Europe though according to an article on Clean Technica yesterday.

And ccs remains the eu standard.

So suspect we will live with all 3 till inductive charging comes that can rapid charge. Then we need to press for standardisation.

In the meantime, would suggest we see queues as a positive - more ev's on the road.

And following the advice of the Serenity prayer, the things we CAN change are

1.) Drive as economically as possible while staying safe. Good for the planet, your pocket and minimising queues.

2.) Work for more 32 amp 6 kw charging. Many Leafs, i3's and Zoe's get 30 miles charge an hour from these. As cheap as £500 installed when suppprted by zero carbon world and if these points are at your destination can remove the need for rapid charges - and seem for the moment more reliable.
I know and agree with you totally.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well I am sorry to say the range checks out. I started with 62miles and at about that distance the REX kicked in. This is 12 miles from the end of the journey & usually I have 12 miles left when I finish, so I have lost about a 25% of the battery capacity. Helpfully I will know in about a week whether there is a fault in the battery or whether this is "normal" for winter.

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
Well I am sorry to say the range checks out. I started with 62miles and at about that distance the REX kicked in. This is 12 miles from the end of the journey & usually I have 12 miles left when I finish, so I have lost about a 25% of the battery capacity. Helpfully I will know in about a week whether there is a fault in the battery or whether this is "normal" for winter.
Going to guess its normal, our Volt in summer gets nearly 50 miles but today we got only 31 miles.:(

·
Registered
465 Posts
Trick cyclist - could you check in the settings menu the SOC percentage figure stated under the Range Extender sub menu? If you could check that at the time when the REX kicks in that would be great. The purpose of this is to see whether the Rex is kicking in too early due to the GOM miles estimate showing a low range. I have a theory that the GOM (miles remaining readout) is wildly inaccurate this past week in particular, showing low available miles, but high /normal SOC% as the attached pic shows!. Today mine returned to normal again despite lower temps! I can trust the SOC percentage figure to be much more accurate in my case at least whilst trying to ignore the miles remaining figure.

Attachments

·
BMW i3 Rex
216 Posts
Trick cyclist, much of this drop is temperature related - air density etc. Some is battery capacity and efficiency drop at low temperatures. 20-20% total drop in range when ambient is around 0C is much the same as we experienced with the Leaf over three years. It's one of the reasons we switched to an i3 with Rex.

During the summer we had 4.6 m/kWh overall. Now we are getting 3.9 - a drop of 15%. This is not due to battery capacity - just the cold and/or wet weather.

·
Registered
465 Posts
A 15% drop perhaps tolerable.
A 30 to 35% electric range drop is disproportionate for a vehicle with a winter pack - especially after using preconditioning. Or does the heat pump option on the BEV model prevent such a harsh drop?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I get around 500 miles out of a tank in my boggo Prius in summer, now it's more like 420. That can't be battery related with a massive 400Wh on tap....

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Super Moderator
7,575 Posts
A 15% drop perhaps tolerable.
A 30 to 35% electric range drop is disproportionate for a vehicle with a winter pack - especially after using preconditioning. Or does the heat pump option on the BEV model prevent such a harsh drop?
For me in the Leaf with old fashioned heater, it uses about 15% of range, with general "winterness" seemingly another 10-15%. I plan on my Leaf doing about 380wh/mile, 2.6 mpkwh in these conditions, so my max winter range is about 55 miles. This is because I drive at 70 and use the heater. If I had the heat pump my winter range would probably be about 65 miles.

·
Registered
465 Posts
For me in the Leaf with old fashioned heater, it uses about 15% of range, with general "winterness" seemingly another 10-15%. I plan on my Leaf doing about 380wh/mile, 2.6 mpkwh in these conditions, so my max winter range is about 55 miles. This is because I drive at 70 and use the heater. If I had the heat pump my winter range would probably be about 65 miles.
Thanks that's really useful. Though I'm not sure about whether adding the heat pump, in addition to the winter pack. would significantly improve things on the i3. (But with any luck, it might do) Anyone have a BEV i3 that could share any figures?

41 - 60 of 156 Posts