1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
6 month extension for anyone whose MOT expires from 30th March.
Anyone whose MOT expires in the next few days however must either find a test centre that is still open or if they can't or are self-isolating must register it as SORN and not use it at all until they have tested it.

Is the government making this up as they go along?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got to be honest, I think this is a mistake.

There are a lot of people who use the MOT as a make-shift check of the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is due on 29th March and I cancelled it earlier in the week to avoid non-essential travel . Booked in for tomorrow now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,205 Posts
That's utterly hilarious. These neutrotypicals just throw new ideas in and don't think about the wording and the ramifications of what they put.

So, basically, cars now have 18 month MoTs ... forever ... do you see why?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think this is a good idea and a necessary step, you can't have vulnerable people worrying about risking their health or breaking the law, and in effect force people to be out getting car repairs and MOT tests. Also in the current situation it isn't like most drivers will be doing significant mileages as almost everywhere is closed.

Giving everyone a one-off 18 month MOT reverting back to normal in 12 month time seems a reasonable way to remove the immediate issue then spread the demand for tests when things are back to normal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's utterly hilarious. These neutrotypicals just throw new ideas in and don't think about the wording and the ramifications of what they put.

So, basically, cars now have 18 month MoTs ... forever ... do you see why?
It really isn't that hard a concept to get...and yet, the wording completely fails to encapsulate what was (presumably) the intent. Someone will notice eventually.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My mother-in-law's car MOT is due on 29th March; I booked in with our local Formula One autocentre, they came and collected car, MOT tested it (it passed with no advisories) and brought it back for £27.50 (half price special offer) with zero contact and us not needing to leave the house - fantastic service!

·
Registered
149 Posts
... and your reason for assuming that is ...?
Because the legislation for this extension to MOTs is time limited to 12 months. It is a temporary change. Why did you assume it was a permanent change?

Legislation will be introduced on 30 March 2020 and will come into immediate effect for 12 months, following a short consultation with key organisations. Drivers will still need to get their vehicle tested until the new regulations come into place, if they need to use it.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
My mother-in-law's car MOT is due on 29th March; I booked in with our local Formula One autocentre, they came and collected car, MOT tested it (it passed with no advisories) and brought it back for £27.50 (half price special offer) with zero contact and us not needing to leave the house - fantastic service!
Zero contact and a virus contaminated car.

Leave in the fresh air and sunshine with the windows open for a day???

Am I being paranoid?

Otherwise a great concept.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Am I being paranoid?
Not at all! I told her to clean the key and wash her hands after putting the paperwork away (which they left on her step). She won't touch the car for at least the next week until she needs to make a shopping trip, and I told her to clean door handles, steering wheel, seat belts, controls and any thing else that might have been touched by the mechanics with a disinfectant wipe before she does use it again.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I think its ahead of a tighter clamp down on transport from next week. as the PM now has the manflu(JOKES!) peoples movement will be much more restricted.

·
25,205 Posts
Why did you assume it was a permanent change?
Because the information presented had no termination date on its effect.

(y)

OK, right, an example of 'distributed' information where you have to look at multiple locations to figure out its meaning.

Fair enough, you explained your basis.

·
25,205 Posts
Because he used @donald logic, which is far superior to you Earth-based logic.

You may now kiss the ring.
No, dumbo, because I read what I am presented to read, and it didn't contain that additional 'important' fact.

Ergo, I asked a person why they thought that? They answered and satisfactorily presented the additional information to make sense of it.

I understand this sort of logic, where one person has a question and another answers it, is a bit tough for you this time of day. Get off with you to your siesta.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
No, dumbo, because I read what I am presented to read, and it didn't contain that additional 'important' fact.

Ergo, I asked a person why they thought that? They answered and satisfactorily presented the additional information to make sense of it.

I understand this sort of logic, where one person has a question and another answers it, is a bit tough for you this time of day. Get off with you to your siesta.
Are you feeling OK? What’s your temperature?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,717 Posts
My brother is a lead MOT tester. When I told him about this he smiled and said that it comes with catches. The elephant in the room is the phrase about your need to keep the car roadworthy. He says that if you do anything wrong, break the law, have an accident, etc. the fact that you have an MOT past it's date may go against you. He also said that your insurance may require you to prove road worthiness before they will pay out. It's a bit of a Curate's egg.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts