Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems ZCW haven't been installing new chargers for some time now and little in the way of published activity.

Are they now effectively dormant?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
As a fellow trustee of ZCW, let me just add that @Lee Howard is correct, we have to raise donations to be able to give away free charge points.
Currently we have a few charge points which are being scheduled for install, but need to rebuild some funds for further donations.
There is a network of some 600 charge points around the country at present, and the question really becomes one of where ZCW can best expend our efforts ?
Does it make sense to continue rolling out a free network of charge points, or does it get to a point where we are effectively competing with the might of Chargemaster, etc (which is hard to sustain on donations alone)?

As a focal point of the EV community, what are the thoughts of the SpeakEV membership on whether they actively choose a ZCW location for their holiday, etc ?
As we continue to fundraise and develop the network, where are preferred locations for people ?

I'm not promising that we will necessarily supply chargepoints to those locations, just trying to ensure that the next round of donations are directed to the locations that will get a high level of usage.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
2,580 Posts
I think you have it right. Stick them where where people will be stopping for an extended stay. I booked Tiverton Best Western on my summer hols on my way down on the basis it has a charge point. One of yours I believe. They even stuck a cone out for me. If every hotel in the country has a pair of 7kw and could do cones it would be a good start. Get them at moderately priced eateries too and you can get a half decent charge while eating. Ideally somewhere with a bit of shopping too so you can stretch a stop to 2 hours and get 2/3 fill up. Shame 22kw AC isn't standard fit on all cars as the pod cost increase is negligible.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I think you have it right. Stick them where where people will be stopping for an extended stay. I booked Tiverton Best Western on my summer hols on my way down on the basis it has a charge point. One of yours I believe. They even stuck a cone out for me. If every hotel in the country has a pair of 7kw and could do cones it would be a good start. Get them at moderately priced eateries too and you can get a half decent charge while eating. Ideally somewhere with a bit of shopping too so you can stretch a stop to 2 hours and get 2/3 fill up. Shame 22kw AC isn't standard fit on all cars as the pod cost increase is negligible.
Thanks, good to know that it's working well :)

·
Banned
326 Posts
It seems that the Founder has resigned his Directorship and Trusteeship!

It will be hard to maintain the momentum without KS?

I doubt that his contribution (sometimes controversial) to establishing EV Infradpstructure has been fully acknowledged?

·
Registered
274 Posts
As a newbie entirely to EVs, I have discovered the existence of ZCW. I really like the idea of chargers in hotels and other leisure destinations.

However - and I expect this is me - what I haven't found is a searchable list of where they are. Obviously I fully understand there are plenty of maps that show charging points - that's not what I need. I need something where I can say "I want a trip to so-and-so this weekend. Is there a B&B to stay at and a tea room and a museum all with chargers please?"

At the minute, as best as I can tell, I have to look on a map, find chargers, then look at each to see what they are attached to and decide if I want to visit.

I guess I'm really asking for Trip Advisor or something similar to add charging info to their entries, or for ZCW to get their data onto Trip Advisor listings in some magical manner.

I expect someone will tell me it's already there now and I can filter Trip Advisor results by charger and I'm just being dumb.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
It seems that the Founder has resigned his Directorship and Trusteeship!

It will be hard to maintain the momentum without KS?

I doubt that his contribution (sometimes controversial) to establishing EV Infradpstructure has been fully acknowledged?
Kevin has plenty of other projects to keep him busy, but you are absolutely correct, his contribution to EV infrastructure is certainly not as well known as it probably should be. However, that is most likely through choice as much as anything else.
Myself and the other trustees of ZCW are intending to carry on with Kevin's good work, and grow it to encompass our own ideals as well.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
As a newbie entirely to EVs, I have discovered the existence of ZCW. I really like the idea of chargers in hotels and other leisure destinations.

However - and I expect this is me - what I haven't found is a searchable list of where they are. Obviously I fully understand there are plenty of maps that show charging points - that's not what I need. I need something where I can say "I want a trip to so-and-so this weekend. Is there a B&B to stay at and a tea room and a museum all with chargers please?"

At the minute, as best as I can tell, I have to look on a map, find chargers, then look at each to see what they are attached to and decide if I want to visit.

I guess I'm really asking for Trip Advisor or something similar to add charging info to their entries, or for ZCW to get their data onto Trip Advisor listings in some magical manner.

I expect someone will tell me it's already there now and I can filter Trip Advisor results by charger and I'm just being dumb.
Unless I am mistaken you are not being dumber all, as this doesn't exist, but this is a great suggestion.
ZCW do have a map of our supplied chargepoints on our website, but I take on board your idea of a list of local attractions.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks. I guess a filter on the map would start to do it - we already have filters on various maps for things like charger type, power, etc. I'd like a set of filters for "hotel" or "museum" etc is all. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If I'm planning a UK trip/holiday one of the first things I do is check for ZCW locations. Any longer-term destination is a good location, such as hotels, B&Bs, entertainment spaces, etc.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I have chosen ZCW locations purely because they have a charger, but it does appear that many are in hotels at the higher end of the hotel price scale....and that often includes Best Western. I'd prefer to see more in hotels around the £100 a night mark.

I appreciate the work Kevin has done in 'setting the ball rolling'. He's obviously a very busy guy and his personal thoughts on EVs (particularly BEVs) may well have played a part in his decision to step down...but his contribution shouldn't be under-estimated.

I've occasionally stayed in private hotels that have allowed me to plug in to an external 13 amp socket. It would be a shame if such establishments weren't encouraged to offer an L2 charger, either on environmental grounds, or being more realistic, as a means of offering competitive advantage.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not clear why the like of Best Western and Marriott require a charitable donation of charge points - surely if they see this as a way of attracting customers (like free-wifi etc.) then they could justify the few hundred pounds they cost to purchase (which is negligible for the likes of these big chains)?

Charitable donation of chargepoints may make more sense for small B&Bs but even for them a few hundred pounds purchase cost (+installation) is not a massive amount in the scheme of things in terms of providing a competitive advantage.

This is particularly the case now where donations are being sought from the public rather than previously when presumably it was mainly the founder of ZCW that donated most of the equipment.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Have you spoken to any hotels or B&Bs lately about installing car charging? Their businesses are generally such that even a few hundred quid is difficult to justify unless they can see a clear effect on business. I have spoken to owners/management of several hotels recently (past 6 months) where they say that installing a charger has made no difference at all to visitor numbers and most have seen it as a waste of time.

Obviously this will change as EV ownership picks up but at this stage in the take-up it will be difficult for hotel and B&Bs to justify installing. Like there are a few early adopter EV owners (us) so there will be early adopter charging installations but I would expect that we will need to wait for EVs to be much more mainstream before hotels see it as important so anything that can be done to encourage them to install, like free hardware from ZCW, is going to help.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you spoken to any hotels or B&Bs lately about installing car charging? Their businesses are generally such that even a few hundred quid is difficult to justify unless they can see a clear effect on business. I have spoken to owners/management of several hotels recently (past 6 months) where they say that installing a charger has made no difference at all to visitor numbers and most have seen it as a waste of time.

Obviously this will change as EV ownership picks up but at this stage in the take-up it will be difficult for hotel and B&Bs to justify installing. Like there are a few early adopter EV owners (us) so there will be early adopter charging installations but I would expect that we will need to wait for EVs to be much more mainstream before hotels see it as important so anything that can be done to encourage them to install, like free hardware from ZCW, is going to help.
That may be true for small hotels/B&Bs etc. as I said, but I cannot see why the likes of Marriott, Best Western and the big chains need to rely on charitable donations from the public to install low cost chargers if they thought it would attract (possibly higher earning) customers.

Perhaps the model for ZCW going forwards should be to focus on small, family owned businesses where it would be easier to justify asking donations from the general public.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I cannot see why the likes of Marriott, Best Western and the big chains need to rely on charitable donations from the public to install low cost chargers if they thought it would attract (possibly higher earning) customers.
As I see it it is because the managent at those chains do not consider it worth spending anything right now as they would not expect much business.

Management of large companies are not in the business generally of spending on things, even relatively small amounts like we are talking about, if it is not going to have an impact on business.

BTW I think that it was a good move to partner with Best Western. They have done more to promote the use of the ZCW network than any other single organisation and even if I did accept that they can afford it themselves I would still say that the decision to install at Best Westerns was a excellent one for ZCW and for EV drivers.

Perhaps in future more larger chains will perceive some benefit and do it themselves.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,563 Posts
ZCW's donations (and the Tesla Roadster HPC network) overcame the inertia of the hospitality industry to doing this. Furthermore, they provided a location where hoteliers and B&B owners could go to to get no-nonsense advice about what is needed rather than some salesman trying to flog them an expensive back office and a maintenance contract.

Most of these big hotel chains are run either on a franchise model or as self-contained local units. Either way, the manager on the ground has his or her own small budget to manage and so if other suppliers start coming along trying to tell them posts cost 5000k, what do you think happens.

Now that the initial batch of ZCW sites are installed, it is up to us to show them it is worth it. Then word will spread. I'm sure many of us have heard the old "ooh you're the first person to use that" thing when we know it isn't true. So make sure the hotel in question knows you went there because of the ZCW point, either on twitter or directly.

I've definitely booked places because of ZCW's work so long may it continue.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Without wishing to beat the same drum, I wonder if that is in part because it's slightly hard to find that they have the chargers anyway? I imagine that if Mr Blibbins has a B&B and is then able to see a map or list somewhere that showed that Mrs Pumphrey up the road has a charger, and she is getting reviews on a website that shows her establishment as "EV Friendly" he might be inclined to think about it.

Substitute B&B for "some other leisure category" and the ball might roll a bit in those areas too.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
As a focal point of the EV community, what are the thoughts of the SpeakEV membership on whether they actively choose a ZCW location for their holiday, etc ?
I always check the zeronet/plugshare/zapmap/ocm when choosing a UK short break.
Most of them claim its the first time that has been used etc etc, good job I have a commando evse :)
A few months back my wife won us a couple of nights stay in a location, I was very pleased to find that on arrival it had a nice rolec in the corner of the carpark :)

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I've definitely booked places because of ZCW's work so long may it continue.
@dpeilow makes a good point. We must use these places now that they are installed. I recently went to Ambleside for a couple of days... where did I stay? The hotel that had ZCW charging! :) I did get the "no one has used it in the past 6 months" thing but I posted about my stay and they got a bit of free publicity. This is what we must do IMO.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts