Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'd been reading CleanTechnica posts about Europe EV sales (Source) thinking
Yay! Well done Renault Zoe.
Seeing 4,189 Zoe sales in one month (June) alone. 17,146 sales in the "Year To Date" (which as the new model only came out this year and that's what most people are probably buying now.. fair enough).

The August Edition reporting 18,739 Zoes in Europe. Vastly outselling Leaf (12,189) which admittedly a lot of people would have been holding off for the new model.

So I think it's all taking off...

Then I find a site that lists UK registrations that another user arguing about the Leaf reports.

I ordered a Sig i Nav R90..

...*tappity tap*
yeah, so there's 11 Signature Navs in the UK currently registered (there's no i listed.. so either it's wrapped into that number or they don't actually exist and I'll be the only UK person with one).

Sorry let me say that again.. ELEVEN.

I remember most of the people in the Q90 vs R90 thread saying the Q90 is superior and to paraphrase "anyone with sense goes for quick charge".. yeah, only 3 of those... THREE! Probably the same 3 people on this forum?!

Replacing "quick charge" and "rapid" with the right model numbers:

Dynamique Nav ZE40 R90 : 302
Dynamique Nav ZE40 Q90 : 11
Dynamique i Nav ZE40 R90 : 38
Dynamique i Nav ZE40 Q90 : 5
Signature Nav ZE40 R90 : 11
Signature Nav ZE40 Q90 : 3

So 370 in the UK but 18,369 in the rest of Europe?!

Is the UK really trailing behind or am I missing something here? Am I coming on here thinking EVs (in particular Renault ones with the best range short of buying an expensive Tesla) are bigger than they are and this is one big massive echo chamber?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well you can add another Dynamique i Nav ZE40 Q90 as of last week, a 20% increase! But yeah whilst Dundee is heaving with Leafs (there are 30+ Leaf Taxis a few council vehicles) Zoes are relatively thin on the ground.

I think interest is picking up but for better or worse the battery rental does complicate things. If Renault just adjusted their retail prices to reflect the reality that an i with discount is about the same as a battery rental without I think they'd do a lot better.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think they're banking on the fact that somebody somewhere will pay full retail price and they'll net themselves £6k of profit. In my opinion though (granted Renault probably know a thing or two about selling cars than I do) it's putting people off "What, £26k for a car that my friends won't bow down to as I pass them? No thanks"

I also question how many of these are business Zoes. I reported before that Cornwall had 20 of them in their fleet.

I've also reported (/ moaned) about how long mine is taking to arrive. Perhaps the sales are promising but the production rate is severely lacking?

Meanwhile let's say Leaf 30KWH (I'm no leaf expert but I imagine 30KWH is a reasonable comparison):
LEAF TEKNA 30KWH 3.1k
LEAF ACENTA 30KWH 2.1k

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
The howmany left figure taken from DVLA data is only up to Q1.

Until Q2 is released it's hard to say as there was some technical issue with a load of them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Howmanyleft runs with a lag, it's only reporting to the end of March. When it updates to show to the end of June there should be a few more!
Aha. I'd missed that very crucial detail (not really noticing that when I clicked into the breakdown and only focusing on the headline figure).. and the ZE40 only came out around that time.

So when the data is available there should be a more significant portion of the 18.7K being in the UK than the 300ish I'm seeing now.

So a fair comparison is against these figures which would be 9,127 in Europe. Making the UK still a pretty small market but then I suppose one would have to offset that with how long each sale then took to deliver and show up in the 2017 Q1 DVLA stats.

Well you can add another Dynamique i Nav ZE40 Q90 as of last week, a 20% increase! But yeah whilst Dundee is heaving with Leafs (there are 30+ Leaf Taxis a few council vehicles) Zoes are relatively thin on the ground
I see about 1 Zoe every week. Usually not a ZE40 though. As EVs account for around 2% of all cars in the UK I'd say over a week of seeing cars that's probably about right.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats got to be wrong, I have had a Signature ZE40 i R90 since March.
Yep, seen the error of my ways now VEH0120 (which is the site's data) only runs until March at present. While ZE40 kicked off in 1st November 2016, orders probably weren't delivered until start of March.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
Just under 7000 i3s listed as newly registered for the same quarter.
54 Soul EVs.

2016 had 1800 Zoes newly registered.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The Zoe is mad expensive. I mean most of us Leaf 30 Tekna owners are paying £199 a month, the cheapest Zoe I could find was like £345+ and it's a smaller car with fewer options.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
They're under £200 a month again on PCP but with £2500 deposit. Dealer contribution is £5k. So with the PICG they're selling them just above half price again.

http://offers.renault.co.uk/cars/zoe/renaultselectionszeaccess?offer=387

Optional final payment is £4100. Renault do realise they're worth virtually nothing at the end. They've discounted them massively from the start. £13k pretty much all in for the car. No wonder the battery owned cars can be bought for about £16k. The leased ones you've paid £15.5k by the end but you have to fork out another £900 a year.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,390 Posts
The ZE40 ('90) models only started to be delivered in February in the UK. A month earlier in France and the Netherlands.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
There are some listed as new registrations Q4 2016 so there were some deliveries before 2017. I'm assuming only dealer demos though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The Zoe is mad expensive. I mean most of us Leaf 30 Tekna owners are paying £199 a month, the cheapest Zoe I could find was like £345+ and it's a smaller car with fewer options.
If all you do is look at the PCP deals, then that distorts the picture somewhat. The GFV of a Leaf at 199 a month is around £12k. The GFV of the Zoe is 4k. RCI are basically subsidising the Leaf, and letting the Zoe stand on it's own 2 feet.
In actual cash up front terms, you can get a new Leaf 30 for around £16-17k, and you can get a Zoe Dynamique for around the same price. The Zoe has fewer options than the Tekna, but it does have a significantly bigger battery.
If you have the cash, then you pays your money and you takes your choice. If you're reliant on the PCP deal, the sensible thing to do is to take the Leaf due to the subsidy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sorry, but I fail to understand what the purpose of the question is.

Anyhow, I remember there were delays in deliveries mainly because of the brake issues; orders were taken, but deliveries were not fulfilled.

In addition, I believe that, in France, a customer returning a diesel engine can get up to 7000 euro off the car and adds on top the Ecological bonus of 5000 euro, so the car is 12.000 euro cheaper than advertised, which leads to high demand and Renault might have prioritized French deliveries because of the recent pollution levels there.

I guess it's not very easy to identify what's in the heads of the Renault strategists without getting them drunk and high.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,390 Posts
If all you do is look at the PCP deals, then that distorts the picture somewhat.
We're being a bit inconvenient aren't we? ;)
I am not very familiar with the nitty gritty of the UK PCP's, but on top of what you stated we have seen on this forum the end of PCP's of insanely subsidized ZOEs that were handed out the last few years. The way I read it those lucky drivers feel pretty much cold showered now as there are no new subsidized deals to be had and RCI flat out refusing to cut them another lovely deal buying the car. Add in maintenance skipping and a Mannheim inspector in a bad mood and I've already read the "Never a PCP again!". I would think this is something of a lesson to be learned about jumping in a heavily subsidized PCP deal. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts