Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't have an isolation switch, but I thought that was something the DNO had to do.
It has to be done by your electricity supplier. This was what I was told when I was first told I needed a switch, and I also rang Northern Powergrid who told me the same thing.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't have an isolation switch, but I thought that was something the DNO had to do.
No, DNO can't touch it, as it sits between the meter and the consumer unit. DNO responsibility ends at the meter input. Only your 'leccy supplier can install it. Or an electrician with approval to pull the main fuse.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Oh I thought it sat between the incoming fuse and the meter, so the meter could be changed by the supplier without having to pull the fuse.
You would think so wouldn't you? I asked that exact question to the installer, who said nothing is allowed to be put in between the main fuse and meter. Presumably to prevent easy access for someone trying to bypass the meter?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Oh I thought it sat between the incoming fuse and the meter, so the meter could be changed by the supplier without having to pull the fuse.
That would be ridiculous. The meter is fitted by the mop (meter operator), who is an agent of the supplier (pretty much all the agents are due to the principle of supplier hub). All mops are authorised to break seals and pull cut out fuses, once the meter is changed the then seal everything up and get on their way.
An isolator goes between the meter and "the" consumer unit, this placement allows consumer unit to be changed etc without the need to break either meter or cutout seals. If those seals are missing and a fiddle is detected or a reverse polarity comes to light you might find yourself with explaining to do!

God knows how the gas supply is related to any of this, or any supplier thinks it might be.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts