Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having periodically a curious problem when charging my 2013 Zoe 22kW on public chargers. I use the app from the network I'm using to charge to give realtime charging info, so I can tell whether it is still charging or not, and total kW delivered. (I dont use the Zoe own app)

I have a pretty good idea how long it shoudl take and how much it should charge. Sometime, when returning to the car, the dash shows 100pc charged but the blue light still shows energy transfer. The app correlates with this as it says it is still charging. Once I disconnect, and start up, I get the ususual yellow "check electrical system" error message, and it always goes away before I next use the car.

I have just replaced the 12V aux battery as that needed doing, but still get the error messages.

In about 80 per cent of the charges on street it doesnt do this and automatically stops charging when full.

Any ideas please?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have been having periodically a curious problem when charging my 2013 Zoe 22kW on public chargers. I use the app from the network I'm using to charge to give realtime charging info, so I can tell whether it is still charging or not, and total kW delivered. (I dont use the Zoe own app)

I have a pretty good idea how long it shoudl take and how much it should charge. Sometime, when returning to the car, the dash shows 100pc charged but the blue light still shows energy transfer. The app correlates with this as it says it is still charging. Once I disconnect, and start up, I get the ususual yellow "check electrical system" error message, and it always goes away before I next use the car.

I have just replaced the 12V aux battery as that needed doing, but still get the error messages.

In about 80 per cent of the charges on street it doesnt do this and automatically stops charging when full.

Any ideas please?
Has no-one at all any suggestions??
 

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
Joined
·
569 Posts
One possibility might be that on the 20% of times that it still appears to be charging it is balancing the cells (so is still charging, but very slowly). On the other 80% of times it isn't trying to balance the cells and just turns off, as you expect.

You say you get the usual "check electrical system" error message every time. But in my 3 year experience (with a ZE40) you should never get this error message, unless there is something wrong.

I've never charged to 100% on a public charger so can't check the behaviour you outline. Has the car had the BMS update?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to regularly get the 'check electrical system" error message until I realised that the 12V auxialliry battery was low state of health (I bought the car second hand last year and - as far as I can tell - had never had the battery replaced).

The car has never had a BMS update, so am thinking of doing that. The traction battery SOH is at 78%.

I think your suggestion is plausible, but it doesn't explain why the error message comes up.

Can you explain why you never charge to 100% on a public charger? Is it that you are concerned with damage to the battery?
 

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
Joined
·
569 Posts
I don't charge to 100% on a public charger because:

(i) I have a 7kW home charger and

(ii) I only use 22 kWh public chargers on long journeys and tend to charge from about 10% to about 80%. After that, the charging rate slows down a lot and its best to drive on and charge again at 10%, rather than waiting a long time to get closer to 100%. Getting to 100% would be a long wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I see. In my case, I get free charging at one of the two 22kw chargers in my village, so leave it there reguarly to charge to full, while I sit at home. I also dont yet have a wallbox at home. As mine has low range compared to the larger battery model, it is always sensible to charge fully.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top