Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

just signed up after discovering this forum.. did not realise there were so many posts already on the GTE (probably should have read some of them before buying one!)

I have a June 2015 GTE with the navi pro but without car-net/mirror link and i have spoken to VW who have confirmed it is impossible to retrofit the WLAN facility.

That aside, i booked a repair with VW in April 2016 about the stock sound system which was playing up. The audio was fine at low levels, but when i raise the volume, the knob keeps turning (red line goes across) but the volume stops increasing after about 40% of the red line and wont go any louder, it just distorts and muffles the low end frequencies. to put this into perspective, imagine a person talking with a slightly raised voice and they could talk over the audio comfortable.

I also noticed after numerous journey's, that the audio system sometimes works perfectly and raises the volume to the level where the speakers cant actually take it any more and then start to distort (normal stock audio).. this seems to happen at around 85-90% of the red line which indicates volume.

I then realised, after much messing around, that if you 'soft reset' the navi pro system (hold down power button for around 20-30 seconds), the audio issue mentioned above would resolve and get back to normal on the second 'boot'..

So the car is with VW for a day, problem demonstrated on drop off and the engineer says it looks like a software update. VW then returns the car the next day, citing that VW are aware of the fault and there is no resolution, and i should 'wait a few months and then try again'.... Rather annoyed, i tried taking this up with VW head office who asked me 'what they wanted me to do about it.. if there is no fix.'

Sorry to ramble, my question is... has anyone else experienced this and had it fixed by VW or been given alternative advice?

I have been trying to get in touch with my local VW dealership since Monday to see if the issue is resolved to get that 'software update' they are so keen on, but i have not managed to speak to anyone who is competent enough to look into it..!

will keep you updated..

p.s. i have a video file to demonstrate the fault also, but as it is quite large, if anyone wants it PM me.

Thanks

Amish

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi.. it was an ex demonstrator from VW through Das Welt..

re sale of goods act, will look into that, ive had the car for around 2 months though so i dont know what i can do now..

Is no one else having this problem? or maybe just unaware? VW had said that they have come across this before and are working on the fault.. and as all MK 7 Golf's work on the same Navi Pro, i would think that others would have had it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine is a late MY15 NAV and i have had no trouble with it at all.

You can reject it under sale of goods as 'not fit for purpose' at any time. even after a few years.

You usually take this route when they are not sorting out the issues, saying we know but there is no fix as yet is frankly not good enough.

Well in that case then i would like to reject the car as 'not fit for the purpose it was intended'

Dealer principle will shit a brick and they will fit you a new head unit.

We just did the same over a faulty electronic park brake in a very early production model (non nav GTE) funnily enough as soon as we mentioned 'OK then we would like to reject the car as not fit for purpose' they changed everything, switch, calipers, etc etc. Funny its all fixed now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you very much..!! so you took it back to where you bought it or where you booked it in for the fault? i bought mine from quite far but local dealer is who i took it too for initial diagnostic..

·
Registered
80 Posts
With it being Das Welk you should get the fully warranty and VW customer service should take up the case and sort it for you. In my experience they have been very good and I will drop you a PM with some info.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've had that (where the volume won't turn up and sticks at red line about 40% up). I've lived with it as it resets after switching off the car.

However if it was a regular occurrence I'd be kicking off too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I wonder if it's a wiring issue and it thinks the reversing camera is active - that leads to a drastic volume cut.

I think twice I've hit a bug it where it's been completely silent playing MP3s, that was solved for me just by pressing MEDIA repeatedly unless it changes back to MP3 mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update:

spoken to my local VW dealer, who has initally reported no fix as of yet. they are 'speaking to VW head factory' and are supposed to get back to me today.. i will be extremely surprised if i get a phone call back this week, if ever!

i will be threatening them with the sale of goods act subject to the outcome of the above..

regarding the fault, its actually something to do with the Nav Pro in built amplifier which causes the unit to modify the equaliser and volume once you reach around 40% volume.. at which point the audio is generally clear but the volume wont go very high and the low frequencies are almost muted out.. (if you are playing a song with a heavy bass beat for example, you will notice a dipped muffle whenever the bass would normally thump.. if you put the volume up to 100% you will hear this very clearly..)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts