Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally perplexed, as I can't use my 3 pin Delphi charger (SMART EQ) in my garage as the charger unit fails to start charging (blue light flashes a couple of time then goes off). Oddly it works fine with an extension lead from my house? I've checked the sockets in the garage using an earth plug checker and all is correct. Garage cable runs from a 32amp MCB to a separate 100am board in the garage, with 2x 8 amp and 1 x 16amp mcbs. Everything else in the garage works fine, including my tumble dryer. HELP???

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Unless you have an unusually expensive socket tester it probably only checks for the existence of an Earth and not what the impedance of the circuit is. Given the additional wiring and RCB in the circuit you probably have too high an Earth impedance which the Delphi "granny" doesn't like.
The only sensible advice is to get the correct testing kit and someone that knows how to use it and check each component. It may be a loose connection or the additional components.
Whilst your tumble dryer may work currently it isn't safe to continue to use anything like that with a potential Earth hazard until correctly checked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts