Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ID.3 has developed an intermittent rattle that's strong enough to be felt through the steering wheel and floor. I'm pretty certain it's the climate control compressor which has come loose. It's a bit of a safety hazard as it's the vibrations enough to change the cruise control settings. I've had a few instances where I've had the cruise control set at 50 mph and it's changed itself to 25mph and rapidly slowed down. Last night the cruise control turned itself on at 15 mph and when I lifted my foot from the accelerator to gradually slow it was like I'd slammed the brakes on. Currently trying to book it in with my dealership to get it fixed.

The vibration stops when I turn climate control off. The compressor moves easily by hand, reaching between the pipes in the bonnet compartment!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's booked in tomorrow, hopefully the securing bolts are still there and haven't dropped out completely or have damaged threads, otherwise I could be in for a wait while they get replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Sorry to hear and bear in mind that legally in first 30 days you don't have to accept a repair on a car that has a fault, so decide on what basis you will give them one chance to fix.

Clearly a loan ID3 or maybe eGolf is required while they investigate and fix, do not continue to drive it with that fault due to safety concerns. If they really can't offer an EV, then insist they pay for fuel and offer a petrol Golf.

I also suggest you make it clear how long they have to fix before you will reject the car - maybe 14 days? Below is article on your rights.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry to hear and bear in mind that legally in first 30 days you don't have to accept a repair on a car that has a fault, so decide on what basis you will give them one chance to fix.

Clearly a loan ID3 or maybe eGolf is required while they investigate and fix, do not continue to drive it with that fault due to safety concerns. If they really can't offer an EV, then insist they pay for fuel and offer a petrol Golf.

I also suggest you make it clear how long they have to fix before you will reject the car - maybe 14 days? Below is article on your rights.

This is good advice.
I was delivered a brand new Peugeot a few years back which rapidly developed a fault. I insisted they replace the car.
The manager actually gave me his high end company car in the interim!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My VW dealership had the car for 4 days (Friday to Monday, but they don't do investigations at the weekends). I didn't insist on a courtesy car as I haven't sold my old Zoe yet. Unfortunately I needed to get it back as my Wife's car (3 months old) has also developed a fault in the auto braking system which means you can't do a hill start without rolling back a bit. VW were unable to reproduce the fault, but I could get it to do it as soon as I got home. I'll book it in again next week if I can and will insist that I demonstrate the fault to the technician when I drop it off.

VW technical support still haven't managed to sort out the problem with the VW connect ID app that I have got so I still haven't been able to register the Ionity charging card and I can't access any of the connected services for the car such as pre heating, charging status and Online traffic info. I'll be insisting that the clock on them both only starts ticking when they get them working, not on the delivery date of the car.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
So you have two faulty VWs and one is brand new? Doesn't shower the brand with the "quality" image many on here like to claim.

Very kind of you to let VW off hook with courtesy car. I would have insisted on one because it adds internal pressure to resolve. They can now take as long as they like to fix.

I made sure I sold my Zoe before my lease ZE50 arrived as needed to use the NCD on it, I guess you must have a multi car policy or something.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, one new VW, the app's stuck on wanting me to complete the registration of a car that isn't mine, I can't complete the registration for that car as the car generates a QR code to scan and the app won't let me delete it. It's let me register my car but that's as far as I can get. If I login to the on-line my Volkswagen website, neither car is shown.

With regard to the old Zoe, I was reluctant to sell it before getting the new one and have now been advertising it for a couple of weeks but no joy so far. I'll probably reduce the price and see if that helps. I've paid an extra £35 to remove the NCD cover from my old car so it can be used on the new one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You say that compressor move easily by hand? And they couldn't see this? I was thinking it is the compressor needing just some bolts tightening.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
With regard to the old Zoe, I was reluctant to sell it before getting the new one and have now been advertising it for a couple of weeks but no joy so far
I got zero enquiries on AT for my immaculate ZE40 and sold it to an independent EV dealer. I think when cars are in good supply people mainly buy from dealers, especially if they need to trade in or get finance.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My ad has had lots of views, but I've only been contacted by 2 people, on was really asking me about ev's in general and it sounded like he was at the early research stage. The other did the same then offered me £1200 less than I was asking, saying there was another one he knew of 100 miles away that was going to come available in a couple of weeks at that price and said it was on AT. I looked and could only find expressions at close to that price. We buy any car offered me £5K, before the usual deductions for a small scratch here and there which they probably inflate to £2k when they've had a good look. I've dropped the price a bit and will see if I get any serious buyers, The car's insured until the end of November so have a while to sell it.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
My ad has had lots of views, but I've only been contacted by 2 people, on was really asking me about ev's in general and it sounded like he was at the early research stage. The other did the same then offered me £1200 less than I was asking, saying there was another one he knew of 100 miles away that was going to come available in a couple of weeks at that price and said it was on AT. I looked and could only find expressions at close to that price. We buy any car offered me £5K, before the usual deductions for a small scratch here and there which they probably inflate to £2k when they've had a good look. I've dropped the price a bit and will see if I get any serious buyers, The car's insured until the end of November so have a while to sell it.
Yeah, I got heaps of views but no enquiries, although at >£12K it was always going to be a harder private sale than an older, lower cost Zoe. Be careful with WBAC value as they only buy battery owned and their value assumes it is. Good luck, but with a lot of Zoe around you may want to just cut your loses and sell to an EV independent.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sold the Zoe for 37% more than the VW dealer offered me for a trade in, and more than WBAC had offered. Faster payments was a bit of a disaster, the new owners bank's fraud department stopped the payment, refunded the money to her account and then put a block on her bank account so she had to go to her branch to sort it out the following day! It got a bit less than I thought it would go for but once I'd reduced the price enough the enquiries started to come in.

Meanwhile my ID.3 has been in VW for the whole of this week. They've now got around to thinking it's the climate control compressor which was my initial thought. They've taken the car to their sister branch as their tech's aren't trained to work on the HV stuff yet. At present I have no idea when I'm going to get it back. I just hope they fix it and don't damage anything in the process. They've given me a new Golf petrol automatic as a courtesy car. It's not bad but I much prefer the ID.3. The Golf has a head up display and I've ended up turning it off as I find it quite distracting having it projected into my field of vision, which is interesting as I thought I would really like a HUD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts