Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
441 - 460 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'll be back in Scotland on Friday mainly in Stirling and Falkirk districts. Are all ChargePlace Scotland chargers still on free vend and responding to any old RFID card?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,282 Posts
I'll be back in Scotland on Friday mainly in Stirling and Falkirk districts. Are all ChargePlace Scotland chargers still on free vend and responding to any old RFID card?
Some of the DC chargers at Castleview hub Stirling are working and there is a Gridserve 50kw at the nearby Moto MSA just down the road which accepts contactless payment. (there's also an M&S Food, Costa and Greggs.)

All are still on free vend and work with any rfid card as far as I know. (could change at any time and we probably will not receive any advance warning by CPS)

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 ·
In that neck if the woods, you have network options other than CPS ( SWARCO). I would make sure you have other Apps, Cards etc and know where to find them. CPS are not to be relied on at the moment (IMHO of course).
Can I recommend WattsUp as a really good App for finding Rapids.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks. I know where the Instavolt and Osprey alternatives are if necessary but fancied a bit of freeloading :devilish: The Forthside CPS chargers will be most convenient for me.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,282 Posts
Thanks. I know where the Instavolt and Osprey alternatives are if necessary but fancied a bit of freeloading :devilish: The Forthside CPS chargers will be most convenient for me.
Stirling Council chargers are still free anyway.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,343 Posts
Stirling Council chargers are still free anyway.
Free because they've been SWARCO'd or free because Stirling has dropped the fees they introduced earlier this year?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,282 Posts
Free because they've been SWARCO'd or free because Stirling has dropped the fees they introduced earlier this year?
Not so sure that STirling did introduce charges because:

According to Zapmap, 'free to use' and the CPS live map is also showing them 'free to use', eg Castleview hub, nearby Strathallan House and Forthside.

Unlike Falkirk which did introduce charges (25p /kwh is showing in the live map and Zapmap)

Of course the data from CPS could well be incorrect....

Just to add that I've used both the Castleview and Strathallan House chargers and never been billed. (nor anywhere else since Swarco 'took over'.)

I am currently badgering BP Pulse, Gridserve, Osprey and Instavolt to expand their networks across Scotland.

They are 'working on it' and as the era of free charging is coming to an end, they won't have any unfair competition.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I tend to use the rapid in Denny a lot which is Falkirk District. Last time I was in Scotland in August it was on free vend but had a sticker on it saying the charge should be 25p per kWh.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Stirling has not introduced charges to the best of my knowledge. As a bonus, I found out the other weekend that neighbouring Clacks still seems to be free also.

·
Registered
661 Posts
By next spring, you might find that there are sufficient other networks in place to keep you topped up. As usual it depends where you visit and how big your battery is. I guessing you are heading for Aviemore and not Ben Nevis?? (Eastern Cairgorms?)
:) Nooo, not going skiing in Scotland, visiting friends in Falkirk, Kinross and then heading North/West for a mooch. I've a few Scottish skiing friends from my time in the Alps: they have a joke about some publicity for the Nevis range - a photo of blue skies and gorgeous snow... "I was there that day"...

I've an MG ZS, so summer range is say 150 so I have to be a bit careful.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
:) Nooo, not going skiing in Scotland, visiting friends in Falkirk, Kinross and then heading North/West for a mooch. I've a few Scottish skiing friends from my time in the Alps: they have a joke about some publicity for the Nevis range - a photo of blue skies and gorgeous snow... "I was there that day"...

I've an MG ZS, so summer range is say 150 so I have to be a bit careful.
Ah Falkirk, my birthplace 😂

·
Registered
41 Posts
The FREE charging a round Falkirk are in STIRLING, CUMBERNAULD TOWN and VILLAGE,CASTLECARY, CROY, GLASGOW and LANARK AREA.
Happy Charging.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,282 Posts
The FREE charging a round Falkirk are in STIRLING, CUMBERNAULD TOWN and VILLAGE,CASTLECRAY, CROY, GLASGOW and LANARK AREA.
Happy Charging.
It'll be free in Falkirk as it seems to be throughout Scotland as Swarco's back office systems don't work.

i honestly wouldn't surprised if Transport Scotland announced another network operator was taking over.

Swarco only have about 150 rapids and 100 AC posts in England so have no experience whatsoever of managing a large network and this shows.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·
It'll be free in Falkirk as it seems to be throughout Scotland as Swarco's back office systems don't work.

i honestly wouldn't surprised if Transport Scotland announced another network operator was taking over.

Swarco only have about 150 rapids and 100 AC posts in England so have no experience whatsoever of managing a large network and this shows.
Does this mean that SWARCO are being paid to go to school and learn, while in the meantime costing taxpayers and private charger (business) owners large sums of cash, generally degrading the service and blocking private investment. Seems worst of all outcomes.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Is it just me or has the ability to use any RFID card been turned off including CPS branded cards? Contactless worked fine but rules out using destination chargers...

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,282 Posts
Yep, they've turned off free vend and the app wasn't working either for a while.
More updates on this threaD:
App login still not working - error 401 so it's useless.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yesterday charged fine at my local CPS rapid using the CPS RFID card as I have been doing with little or no problems in the last 22 months of use. Today CPS RFID card was not authorised at the same rapid. A first in 22 months.

I called the CPS number and after 12 minutes got through, and after verification checks they said my RFID card had a activation date of August 2022. There has apparently been a software update where the dates were incorrectly entered. The operator confirmed that they would change the activation date of the card back to August 2021.

They then started the charge remotely for me. I called back half an hour later and after 14 minutes on hold, the operator stopped the charge remotely. They confirmed that my RFID card will be active again within 24 hours.

Both operators were empathetic, friendly and understanding of the problems, and both very helpful in reactivating my RFID card and providing a charge. I told them I would not be using the app for some time as it was as yet unfit for purpose.

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Zoe Devotee
9,343 Posts
Well I tested my CPS card tonight. It wasn't showing on the website, and my subscription date is set to late 2022. And yet I managed to activate a rapid, and I see the successful charge on my account. £2.74 for the privilege of testing it.

441 - 460 of 513 Posts