Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had issues Rapid charging their E-Niro?

Just taken delivery of the MY2020 E-Niro and have encountered an issue where the Car seems to charge for 10-15 minutes before stopping.

The EH chargers barely last 10 minutes before the session stops, and the Polar charger I tried at a BT petrol station lasted around 15 minutes before it stopped and cited 'communication issue with Vehicle' as the fault.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Nope but to be fair, the range is so good, I hardly charge on rapids nowadays. The EH is never a good test as they always used to be so flaky anyway. I usually go for Instavolts and have never had an issue.

How many have you tried and failed on?

What SoC were you at when you tried?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the range is outstanding...can't quite get over how accurate the rangemeter is.

I'd say both were around 50% (high I know but wanted to get some experience using them)

So I've used three. 2 EH and 1 Polar Charger

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,277 Posts
That was a fairly high SOC to start a rapid charge at, but there is absolutely no reason for it to fail as a result.

Ecotricity chargers have a bad reputation but they have recently gotten a lot better, and cars like yours should now be reilably charging on CCS without any problems at this point.

Take a look on Zap Map and see if you can find a charger on another network. Instavolt is a good option since they work with a simple contactless credit or debit card, and there are typically 2+ chargers at one location. See how that goes as they are some of the most reliable chargers out there. If you have no problems then I would say you were probably just unlucky. But if you also get an error or a premature end to your charge session at an Instavolt then it may be worth speaking to the dealer at that point.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I presume you have checked the DC charging limit on the car is not set low, e.g. at 60%?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I presume you have checked the DC charging limit on the car is not set low, e.g. at 60%?
Wouldn't that trigger the message "Charge session ended by vehicle" rather than an error message to say that there was a communication problem? I Know this is the case with the Ioniq and LEAF when they hit a SOC limit.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
275 Posts
Has anyone else had issues Rapid charging their E-Niro?

Just taken delivery of the MY2020 E-Niro and have encountered an issue where the Car seems to charge for 10-15 minutes before stopping.

The EH chargers barely last 10 minutes before the session stops, and the Polar charger I tried at a BT petrol station lasted around 15 minutes before it stopped and cited 'communication issue with Vehicle' as the fault.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Any help would be appreciated!
In my first 5 weeks of EV (Kia Soul) ownership I haven't yet needed to Rapid charge.
Is EH same as Ecotricity (why 2 names!)
I've got Maingau card to use with Ionity & signed up with Shell Recharge. Seen a couple of Instavolt chargers which seem the easiest to use.
Is that sufficient for UK road trips?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
In my first 5 weeks of EV (Kia Soul) ownership I haven't yet needed to Rapid charge.
I've got Maingau card to use with Ionity & signed up with Shell Recharge. Seen a couple of Instavolt chargers which seem the easiest to use.
Ecotricity is the energy company. Their EV Charging brand is the Electric Highway (EH)
Yes. Unless you are driving into an area with a regional network (like Scotland which have their own Chargeplace Scotland network) then what you have will easily be enough for your needs. If you do find yourself needing other chargers most of them have apps you can download on the go even if they don't take contactless payment, so you shouldn't ever really be stranded.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
So I've used three. 2 EH and 1 Polar Charger
Presume you checked ZapMap / PlugShare to see if those chargers had been successfully working recently?

For peace of mind, took mine to an EH today, worked fine.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
275 Posts
Ecotricity is the energy company. Their EV Charging brand is the Electric Highway (EH)
Yes. Unless you are driving into an area with a regional network (like Scotland which have their own Chargeplace Scotland network) then what you have will easily be enough for your needs. If you do find yourself needing other chargers most of them have apps you can download on the go even if they don't take contactless payment, so you shouldn't ever really be stranded.
Thank you. Good to know it's not as complicated as it looks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was a fairly high SOC to start a rapid charge at, but there is absolutely no reason for it to fail as a result.

Ecotricity chargers have a bad reputation but they have recently gotten a lot better, and cars like yours should now be reilably charging on CCS without any problems at this point.

Take a look on Zap Map and see if you can find a charger on another network. Instavolt is a good option since they work with a simple contactless credit or debit card, and there are typically 2+ chargers at one location. See how that goes as they are some of the most reliable chargers out there. If you have no problems then I would say you were probably just unlucky. But if you also get an error or a premature end to your charge session at an Instavolt then it may be worth speaking to the dealer at that point.

Yeah looking back, it was a high SOC.

Tried it again at around 20-25% on two different Chargemaster points and both worked completely fine.

Guessing this was either specific Ecotricity charger issue or just their network really isn't that good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Presume you checked ZapMap / PlugShare to see if those chargers had been successfully working recently?

For peace of mind, took mine to an EH today, worked fine.

Checked this out after reading this, and yes issues had been reported on one of these. But using 2 different Chargemaster points subsequently (both working and charging normally)
Probably just an EH issue.

Pump failed and mysteriously kept resetting itself......very strange

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Haven't tried out the instavolt chargers yet, so can't comment.

But from what I've read they seem decent. Been meaning to try out a shell charger as they seem to get good reviews and cruicially seem reliable. The Chargemaster points also have been reliable and easy to use.

Maybe plan a day out so you can rapid charge? Sounds silly and a waste of time but that's what we did just for the trip!

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
560 Posts
If you visit the West Yorkshire Yorkshire area, checkout Chargepoint Map | ENGIE Chargepoint Network
They have quite a few chargepoints around here and they are all apparently FOC to use until October next year!
I have just ordered their RFID card for £9. You can do it without the card via the website from your phone but the card seems like a slicker way to me. When I get my car next month, my first attempt at a public charge will likely be an Engie one.
Peter

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
97 Posts
If you visit the West Yorkshire Yorkshire area, checkout Chargepoint Map | ENGIE Chargepoint Network
They have quite a few chargepoints around here and they are all apparently FOC to use until October next year!
I have just ordered their RFID card for £9. You can do it without the card via the website from your phone but the card seems like a slicker way to me. When I get my car next month, my first attempt at a public charge will likely be an Engie one.
Peter
We spend a lot of time in West Yorkshire as the wife’s folks live in Wakefield so saw your post and went to sign up but it seems they tie into the Genie network as my email was already registered so interested to see if it works with a genie card. Good to know at least it’s free charging until October next year!

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
560 Posts
Yup. “Owt for nowt” 😂
Just beware that it’s 100% free up to 75 mins but if you go just one minute over there’s a £10 surcharge slapped on you. Yikes😱

No idea if your Genie account will work. Something tells me it won’t but I’m a complete newbie and still an EV virgin so what do I know. I noticed the Engie site said you can use any other brand RFID card with their chargers, but you must first register it to your Engie account on the web site.
They have a couple of Engie chargers at my regular swimming pool, and that was another little trigger For me to want an EV. Every time I went swimming I was longing to plug in and suck out some free juice, but didn’t have an EV. So I finally took the big plunge And ordered E-Niro 4 on Friday. I should have it in 3-4 weeks. I can’t wait frankly. I won’t be able to access the pool chargers as gates are locked due to Covid lockdown grrrrr. I'm really missing my swimming, but then again don’t fancy getting Covid either.

Peter

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
97 Posts
My card hasn’t arrived yet but I presume I can use the app. Might try it sometime next week If my card comes as we’re only in Sheffield. That said, if any RFID card will work, not sure how accurate it will be. Any excuse at the moment to drive the car and experiment with chargers as we’ve only had the car 2 weeks!

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
93 Posts
Havent used Polar in a couple of months, tried today and get a fiesta of faults ! First, contactless wast working and as i dont have polar card its a biggie..
Man on the phone did reboot, after 2mins i see contactless icon good!
Do all until connecting the car, starts charging and Boom, after 15secs disconects.. Tried again and same result.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts