Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an e-Niro 4+, but I think these issues will be the same for all e-niros?
Problem 1. The car is charging and I switch the power on to do something - input some destinations into the satnav, listen to the radio, or whatever. I cannot then switch the car off. If I press the power button it says remove the power cable before driving off, but the car stays switched on. I don't want to drive off, I just want the car to power down. So I have to stop charging, switch the power off, and then plug the cable in again to restart the charging. Anyone any ideas about how to switch the car off without stopping the charging, or how I should switch it on in the first place to sidestep this issue?
Problem 2. How to stop the charging process before the charging limit has been reached. The easiest way is to use the UVO app to stop charging. That is assuming you've got your phone. If you haven't you can lock/unlock the car - apparently unlocking the car stops charging for 30s so you can rush round to the front and unplug the cable. Anyone know a less clunky method?
Problem 3. Follows on from problem 2. I plug the car into a rapid DC charger and want to go away to get a coffee/toilet break etc. So I lock the car. When I come back I want to get into the car out of the cold, so I unlock the car. This stops the charging for 30s. The rapid DC charger then refuses to restart charging, so I have to drive away with less charge than I need. Anyone know how to sidestep this issue without leaving the car unlocked - apart from always having to travel as a pair?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Problem 1. The car is charging and I switch the power on to do something - input some destinations into the satnav, listen to the radio, or whatever. I cannot then switch the car off. If I press the power button it says remove the power cable before driving off, but the car stays switched on. I don't want to drive off, I just want the car to power down. So I have to stop charging, switch the power off, and then plug the cable in again to restart the charging. Anyone any ideas about how to switch the car off without stopping the charging, or how I should switch it on in the first place to sidestep this issue?
Have you tried using utility mode rather than just switching the car on? To get into it put the car into drive and find convenience settings in the centre of the dash display. Select "utility mode". That is good for the 12volt battery as well. I think you would have to put it into utility mode before you started the charge. I am not sure whether switching it off would stop the charge - but you could leave it on in utility mode without using much power - unless you want to lock the car which I think can then only be done by the UVO app which might not be working! And if it is working to lock the car you would be really stuck if you were unable to use it later to unlock the car!

·
Super Moderator
7,455 Posts
For 1), press the "off" button (make sure your foot is not on the brake) then open the drivers door get out and close it, the dash will turn off by itself.

For 2), don't know, I have tested rapid charging but never walked away from the car/actually had to use it so only charged for like 2 mins. But, I think that the "pause charge" behaviour only happens if you use the unlock button on the key fob. If you unlock using the button on the drivers door handle it doesn't pause. I think.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Problem 2. How to stop the charging process before the charging limit has been reached. The easiest way is to use the UVO app to stop charging. That is assuming you've got your phone. If you haven't you can lock/unlock the car - apparently unlocking the car stops charging for 30s so you can rush round to the front and unplug the cable. Anyone know a less clunky method?
Problem 3. Follows on from problem 2. I plug the car into a rapid DC charger and want to go away to get a coffee/toilet break etc. So I lock the car. When I come back I want to get into the car out of the cold, so I unlock the car. This stops the charging for 30s. The rapid DC charger then refuses to restart charging, so I have to drive away with less charge than I need. Anyone know how to sidestep this issue without leaving the car unlocked - apart from always having to travel as a pair?
Going to have to play to see (1) but sometimes the car looks on but isn't.
Don't know if you've noticed but when you stop and switch off, a load of the cluster is still active and even the music can still keep playing.
Close the door as @Edd Beesley says and the dash goes off.
Note the red led on the gear fob will still be lit (for a while).
Press lock on the fob and that will switch off immediately.

For (2): You can just walk to the front of the car and then use your key fob to unlock the car. Sorry if that sounds obvious!

(3) is very interesting. I've never noticed that behaviour but then I haven't rapid charged all that much.
It might be specific to some brands of rapid. What rapid was this on?

·
Registered
66 Posts
For 2), don't know, I have tested rapid charging but never walked away from the car/actually had to use it so only charged for like 2 mins. But, I think that the "pause charge" behaviour only happens if you use the unlock button on the key fob. If you unlock using the button on the drivers door handle it doesn't pause. I think.
That would make sense, you use the unlock on the fob to release the cable from the car - it's likely there would be a pause in the charging as nobody particularly wants to be pulling out a high voltage cable whilst live.

I only ever lock/unlock via driver's door handle button and this definitely doesn't interupt rapid charging.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
947 Posts
I believe the pause in charging, where it drops to 500w, happens regardless of how the car is unlocked. I didn’t think this happened on a rapid since the charge mechanism is completely different. I also haven’t tested this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So for (1) I need to make sure my foot is not on the brake when I switch off. Probably my foot has automatically gone to the brake pedal! For (2), get ready by the cable when I press the fob to unlock the car - simples! But I think unlocking the car by pressing the door handle also unlocks the cable and stops the charge? Hence the problem about locking the car on a rapid charge. I'm out and about now, but when I get home I can charge it and see if unlocking the car using the fob or the handle do the same thing and stop the charge.
Of course at home it will start charging again after the 30s interval. For (3) I was using a GeniePoint rapid charger with the app (not an RFID card) and they used to have a fixed fee plus a usage charge to top up. They have stopped the fixed fee now and it is only the usage charge of 35p/kWh, but possibly if a charge is interrupted it then becomes a new charge and their system won't allow me to restart the charge - because I would have to pay the fixed charge again which is irrelevant now it is 0p, except to a computer a fee of 0p is not irrelevant - it still has to be processed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today I repeated the rapid charge at the same GeniePoint rapid charger (CCS 50 kW DC), as I needed an extra 50 miles of range. I kept the car unlocked for half an hour whilst the car charged, just in case, and when it was done I played around trying to stop the charge (it was at 66% and still charging to a target of 80%) by locking and unlocking the car. Idiotzoo is correct above: "I believe the pause in charging, where it drops to 500w, happens regardless of how the car is unlocked. I didn’t think this happened on a rapid since the charge mechanism is completely different." I couldn't interrupt the rapid charge by unlocking the car either with the fob or using the handle, instead I could only do it by pressing cancel on the GeniePoint app. It all worked as it should. The only thing that was different today was the app was more responsive, less waiting time, than 2 days ago. But really I have no idea why it previously stopped charging (it was nowhere near the 80% limit).
Incidentally, if your phone breaks and you do need to stop the charge I guess you could go into charge management settings and set the charge limit to a level lower than the current SOC?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Today I repeated the rapid charge at the same GeniePoint rapid charger (CCS 50 kW DC), as I needed an extra 50 miles of range. I kept the car unlocked for half an hour whilst the car charged, just in case, and when it was done I played around trying to stop the charge (it was at 66% and still charging to a target of 80%) by locking and unlocking the car. Idiotzoo is correct above: "I believe the pause in charging, where it drops to 500w, happens regardless of how the car is unlocked. I didn’t think this happened on a rapid since the charge mechanism is completely different." I couldn't interrupt the rapid charge by unlocking the car either with the fob or using the handle, instead I could only do it by pressing cancel on the GeniePoint app. It all worked as it should. The only thing that was different today was the app was more responsive, less waiting time, than 2 days ago. But really I have no idea why it previously stopped charging (it was nowhere near the 80% limit).
Incidentally, if your phone breaks and you do need to stop the charge I guess you could go into charge management settings and set the charge limit to a level lower than the current SOC?
Yes, that works.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
865 Posts
........Incidentally, if your phone breaks and you do need to stop the charge I guess you could go into charge management settings and set the charge limit to a level lower than the current SOC?
Nope, (from my unreliable memory) I don’t think you can get to that setting whilst it’s charging. Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts