Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far, I've experienced a number of really irritating issues, and yesterday I gave my list to the dealer with a deadline to resolve them. Here's my list;

1. Satnav crashes periodically and brings the whole centre console down with it - Usually when least convenient. The only resolution is to park up, turn off, get out and walk away for 15 minutes. The satnav stays lit up on the console for a while, but eventually powers down and you can get back in and carry on.

2. Climate just does what the crap it wants from time to time - again usually when you need it. None of the controls except FAN seem to have any effect and so your stuck with cold or hot and it blowing out of whatever vents it wants. Solution is same as above.

3. Loosing presets, settings and addressbook. Does this from time to time, get back in and its all reset. Not critical, but irritates the hell out of me.

4. Radio favourites don't select the right channel, have to click on another one, back again, sometimes twice to get the right station.

5. USB sometimes tells me my device (iphone) isn't compatable and sometimes the phone just doesn't pair up and when it does, the contacts are blank.

6. The Chirp (which is one beep for charging, two for delayed charge, three for fob inside the car) Can't be disabled. Which is stupid. See below...

7. The car mistakenly detects the key is inside when closing the drivers door (with the key and myself definitely outside). This generates three load chirps, usually at about 4AM right outside the bedroom window whilst people are asleep. Brilliant. I don't want it making *ANY* noises after 11pm and before 8am regardless!

8. Lights... No fracking idea. How do I get the side lights on when I park it in an unlit place... Even the dealer couldn't reliably make this happen.

9. The 'bag' that covers up the hole between the rear seats, doesn't stick any more. Good idea, bad implementation. Fix it!

10. Range - When using HOLD/MOUNTAIN it sometimes all goes to hell. If I use mountain, which charges the battery incidentally if its low, then when I switch back the range indicator 'sometimes' comes up with 10m, sometimes 0m but drives for 10 on electric whilst still showing the ICE.

11. Charge Door Sticking periodically, Charge door self opening periodically.

12. Voice recognition don't recognise. No way to record voice tags for contacts, that it doesn't recognise (most of them).

13. When it does break and has to be serviced; they tried to give me a corsa as a loan car!

Obvious failings (but not really faults):

SATNAV = Pants.
BOOT DESIGN = Pants.
TEATOWL Luggage cover = Pants.
BT AUDIO = Pants.
HEADLIGHTS = Pants.

Apart from that, its BRILLIANT and I love it. I do however fully intend to force the dealer into resolving most of these, which I don't believe is unreasonable. I think the list is fairly complete, but if anyone has any others that they want to add, please do. If you've had any of these, I suggest you contact your dealer and give them your list and insist they resolve them.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have similar complaints but I am not sure I am up for the fight to get them all resolved. I bought the car to use, not to fight with the dealer over and to be honest, most of these aren't manufacturing faults... they are crappy design faults and are going to be very difficult to get Vauxhall to even admit to let alone to change. The SatNav is the main issue for me because that I spent extra money to get and it is rubbish and not fit for purpose. The others things I would love to see fixed but think it unlikely we will be able to do much about it as most of them will require some kind of redesign. We'll see.

I have marked in red the issues I have also seen or agree with...

Richard said:
1. Satnav crashes periodically and brings the whole centre console down with it - Usually when least convenient. The only resolution is to park up, turn off, get out and walk away for 15 minutes. The satnav stays lit up on the console for a while, but eventually powers down and you can get back in and carry on.

2. Climate just does what the crap it wants from time to time - again usually when you need it. None of the controls except FAN seem to have any effect and so your stuck with cold or hot and it blowing out of whatever vents it wants. Solution is same as above.

3. Loosing presets, settings and addressbook. Does this from time to time, get back in and its all reset. Not critical, but irritates the hell out of me.

4. Radio favourites don't select the right channel, have to click on another one, back again, sometimes twice to get the right station.

5. USB sometimes tells me my device (iphone) isn't compatable and sometimes the phone just doesn't pair up and when it does, the contacts are blank.

6. The Chirp (which is one beep for charging, two for delayed charge, three for fob inside the car) Can't be disabled. Which is stupid. See below...

7. The car mistakenly detects the key is inside when closing the drivers door (with the key and myself definitely outside). This generates three load chirps, usually at about 4AM right outside the bedroom window whilst people are asleep. Brilliant. I don't want it making *ANY* noises after 11pm and before 8am regardless!

8. Lights... No fracking idea. How do I get the side lights on when I park it in an unlit place... Even the dealer couldn't reliably make this happen.

9. The 'bag' that covers up the hole between the rear seats, doesn't stick any more. Good idea, bad implementation. Fix it!

10. Range - When using HOLD/MOUNTAIN it sometimes all goes to hell. If I use mountain, which charges the battery incidentally if its low, then when I switch back the range indicator 'sometimes' comes up with 10m, sometimes 0m but drives for 10 on electric whilst still showing the ICE.

11. Charge Door Sticking periodically, Charge door self opening periodically.

12. Voice recognition don't recognise. No way to record voice tags for contacts, that it doesn't recognise (most of them).

13. When it does break and has to be serviced; they tried to give me a corsa as a loan car!

Obvious failings (but not really faults):

SATNAV = Pants.
BOOT DESIGN = Pants.
TEATOWL Luggage cover = Pants.
BT AUDIO = Pants.
HEADLIGHTS = Pants.

Apart from that, its BRILLIANT and I love it.
I would also add that when I have left the car at the dealer they did not charge it and I had to drive the 50 miles back on petrol... kinda contrary to the idea don't you think!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Most of these issues sound like software to me, as I think you've mentioned in various posts Paul. I'm bound to encounter many of them, I expect, so initially , like Richard, I intend to make a noise about them - the ones I expect to be fixable (not the headlights, for example, which are design). I don't see any technical reason why at some point we should not expect to see a new software update to address the bugs, as with all cars, but admittedly the low number of cars will be a factor in GM deciding how much programming resource to apply! It's possible they'll wait until the next 'refresh' in the USA to push out a new software level for all cars I suppose.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) Unlike Paul, I am up for a fight if it gets to that, at least on the more serious faults. I'm not spending 39k on a car only to have it not work right. I don't care how many vauxhall are making, its not my problem. *IF* I'd been told about these issues BEFORE I purchased the car, then its my bad, but I wasn't, so its their problem. If you bought a new TV and it kept freezing up, wouldn't switch channels sometimes, or lost all the channels periodically, would you just put up with it? - I wouldn't. Just because it works *most* of the time doesn't make it of merchantable quality.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) Unlike Paul, I am up for a fight if it gets to that, at least on the more serious faults. I'm not spending 39k on a car only to have it not work right. I don't care how many vauxhall are making, its not my problem. *IF* I'd been told about these issues BEFORE I purchased the car, then its my bad, but I wasn't, so its their problem. If you bought a new TV and it kept freezing up, wouldn't switch channels sometimes, or lost all the channels periodically, would you just put up with it? - I wouldn't. Just because it works *most* of the time doesn't make it of merchantable quality.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good new thread Richard, and agree with hopackguy. I've had some of these issues:

Climate
Losing presets, settings and addressbook.
Radio favourites
The 'bag' that covers up the hole between the rear seats
Voice recognition
I'm not looking forward to other issues appearing, but have only had the car for three weeks.
I can see that Paul has become quite frustrated with reporting issues. Can I say to Paul, as I haven't seen it elsewhere, a massive thank you for the fantastic work he has done in relation to the forum. It is excellent to have the opportunity to share experiences and problems and to benefit from some of the expertise and experiences of other members. Great work Paul, really appreciated.
On the bag issue, my car was the demonstrator from Luton. The back of one of the rear seats was a hell of a mess and the Velcro was detached causing the bag to flop about. Have taken it out all together temporarily. However, the dealership has been excellent. They took photos, reported it and are going to completely replace it. (What I would expect). Hopefully, with growing numbers of users and the communication of this superb forum we will gain a united voice to address the software side of things.
Finally, on a different tack, It is good that some of the threads are positive. Despite the frustration with software and one or two other things, we Ampera members are at the cutting edge of new technology which will be a step to addressing the inevitable future shortage of fuel and the development of greener power. I just love getting into and the drive, especially on battery but with the knowledge that I have no worries over the last bit of a longer journey, which was why I bought it! Provided it will not let me down. A great car! :D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
This forum could do with a 'thumbs up' type button on posts like some other fora! :)

Well said MK Amp, I havent been on this forum long but already I appreciate the work and contributions of Paul in particular. Hope I can begin to contribute myself shortly!

·
Registered
68 Posts
As a response to HQ (my ampera address) I got the following:

The re-set of the radio may be a slight software glitch, but if this has happened more than once or twice, I would recommend that you allow your local Ampera dealership to take a look into it for you. It is not a concern which we know of, so the dealer can investigate further.

2) The SatNav system has been under careful review recemtly, as we have received a lot of feedback about it. Currently we are waiting on finalised proposals regarding what is to be done, and hope this will be communicated in the next couple of weeks.

It indicates to me that if owners are reporting back to the dealership, OK, as that is where the point of contact and repair is, but is the bigger picture getting back to the manufacturer?
Perhaps as the user base grows we need a more formal way of letting GM know of issues. Let's work on the basis that we are all on the same side. Great car, some production release problems. We are in a way testing the product in the field, there are bound to be problems. If they are significant they must e sorted. Keeps the model alive and if nothing else the resale value of our investment

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I am absolutely convinced that the dealers ARE reporting back to Vauxhall but they continue to deny that the problems exist. I am pretty sure that all my issues were reported to Vauxhall by my dealer as I have sent a letter refusing the car under the sale of goods act and they informed me by letter that they reported my issues to Vauxhall and a solution is being devised. I am not convinced.

Everytime someone reports something to MyAmpera they deny knowing about it yet most of these issues have been reported to them by members of this forum.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Vauxhall keep saying they have not heard of the radio reset issue. That is BS. I reported it months ago.

The climate is disappointing but I do think it works. It feels like it is blowing out cold air when set on 21 deg C but if you put it on 23 then it does warm up gradually. My old car worked fine at 19 deg C. I think this is some kind of calibration error.

You can add random change of settings from imperial to metric to the list.

I know that Vauxhall are aware of the unsatisfactory velcro bag between the back seats arrangement, but not sure if or when there will be a fix.

On a slightly different note, I really want to have the smartphone remote control to turn the heating on before arriving at the car. The key fob is all well and good, but it does not reach my garage from my flat and it is of course useless if you are parked in a public car park, like I was yesterday while watching Skyfall. I'm convinced the modem hardware is in the car (as the Volt has it) and this is just a lack of SIM card being installed.

So perhaps we should send a joint submission on all of this. I'm sure they will take notice if we they are aware a significant chunk of the owners population is acting in unison.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yesterday I was loading items in my boot when the door crashed down and hit my head. Ouch.Could anybody help and let me know if the boot door on their Ampera with just a light touch does this. It closes with a loud bang.I suspect my gas struts are faulty. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Struts sound faulty, it absolutely shouldn't do that, no problem with mine.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
OUCH!

Just an observation on the OP...

Have any of those original issues been resolved yet? It was almost a year ago to the day and as far as I am concerned... nothing has changed on any of those.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My tailgate doesn't take much to close it but I've never had it close on it's own.

Is it possible the wind might have "assisted" it to close? I'm told it's been quite strong in some parts!!!!

Big Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
Took my ampera into the dealers yesterday.They checked the gas struts and found both had leaked the damping oil and were going to replace both. These are excluded from the warranty but as both must have been faulty at manufacture it would still be covered.I also asked them to grease charging door as it was sticking again and they changed that unit completely, again under warranty .
I couldnt ask for better than that. My dealer is Skurries of Swindon

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,499 Posts
My car was in recently for some niggles on delivery and they carried out some rework issues, one of which sounds like the charging flap. Mine used to open with ease but has resorted to sticking and will not open using the interior button as the solenoid retracts the locking pin but the flap has not released passed the locking location by the time the pin returns and so is locked again before I get round to it so I end up using the fob.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts