Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I was driving along the motorway, and suddenly a fault occurred with my car that made it considerably less safe. After driving without a hitch for over a year.

Luckily, I was near a services, so I pulled in to diagnose the fault, had to hunt around to find the bonnet release catch, a quick poke around under the bonnet, and replacement parts sourced. Ten minutes later, all fixed and I was on my way.

The screen washer was empty. After fixing it, I was able to see clearly through the salt spray.

An observation: There's plenty of empty space under the bonnet of a Leaf.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Now, if you had had a hydrogen powered car that wouldn't have happened, because you would have had an infinite supply of screen washer from the water out of the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The screen washer was empty
Mine's on life support too, only has to last 36 hours then the car is in for a service.

Surely the least they can do for £99 and three hours is top up the screen wash after plugging the laptop in? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I think the goal is to turn up for the service with "---" on the GOM and no screen washer fluid, to extract the maximum value for money from your £99

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,430 Posts
FWIW, one small, but cumulative, 'plus' in my book for the Ampera is that the washer bottle is around 6 litres. It is enormous! It'll swallow a whole gallon of premix so you don't have half-empty bottles kicking around.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think the goal is to turn up for the service with "---" on the GOM and no screen washer fluid, to extract the maximum value for money from your £99
When I put my car in for a service, it had 12 miles GOM, when I got it back it had 12 miles GOM, was not impressed. Also with the valet they didn't bother cleaning the boot, I left leaves in there specifically for them to clean, but just the front of the car cleaned.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Now, if you had had a hydrogen powered car that wouldn't have happened, because you would have had an infinite supply of screen washer from the water out of the exhaust pipe.
But, sadly, this water will be so pure :) that there's absolutely no ions/soap-residue/... to wash that nasty diesel-layer off the screen, so you'll have smears! :(

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
But, sadly, this water will be so pure :) that there's absolutely no ions/soap-residue/... to wash that nasty diesel-layer off the screen, so you'll have smears! :(
Well, some suitable chemicals could also be added at each £99 service

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Of course, proper EV nerds have their cars covered in techno-nano-ceramo-wrap coatings so the dirt slides off the glass noiselessly with no smears at all (y)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I ran out of screenwash on A1 last month; similarly I was near services and fortunately sales chap was friendly cos I was about to buy unmixed instead of pre-mixed. Oops!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Of course, proper EV nerds have their cars covered in techno-nano-ceramo-wrap coatings so the dirt slides off the glass noiselessly with no smears at all (y)
Such a great feeling too when that ceramic coating makes the shit that bird intended for your car bouncs back off the roof to end on the windshield of the Chelsea tractor following you.

Got me some new Tefal ceramic coated pans, and now I really want the same available for my car.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,430 Posts
Is that sarc, or does it exist already? Can't really tell these days....

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
There are all sorts of coatings for cars these days @donald it's been a revelation to me, from acrylic coatings to basically make the car easier to clean to ceramics which offer paint protection from stones to entire film wraps which offer the best protection as they cover the whole car - you can change the car colour at the sometime of course!. Anywhere from £300 quid to a couple of £k depending how paranoid you are.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I ran out of screenwash on A1 last month; similarly I was near services and fortunately sales chap was friendly cos I was about to buy unmixed instead of pre-mixed. Oops!
Nothing particularly wrong with that. My old BMW (from 1997) had two screen wash reservoirs, one for mixed and one for concentrate, and you could choose which one to use. The concentrate works really well for dissolving that oily film that can be a struggle for the regular mix and always clears up the screen beautifully.

I sometimes wonder why this arrangement is not more common. Indeed, I don't know what other cars may be using this approach?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts