Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 37 days, I finally collected the new ID3 - all I can say, it was well worth the wait.

I was worried about the colour, but the silver and black look great

Not sure why, but the drive just seems better - steering seems to have more feel, regen seems stronger, ride smoother.

I love the glass roof, nice that there’s no glare.

The HUD is probably the best I’ve experienced, there must be some serious processing going on in there.

Travel assist - much better than anticipated. No drama, no bongs going off, it was just there in the background.

Sadly, CarPlay is still a bit prone to stuttering, but definitely better. It’s also nice to get the added stutters from the rear.

I’ve a minor key related problem, but that’s for tomorrow.

Had some issues with We connect, but I think it’s sorted itself out now, although it’s now showing range in Km rather than miles

Also had an interesting time with POI category’s in NAV, they were all in German, but then when I went back later they’d changed to English

Will try things out properly tomorrow - so far pleasantly surprised and happy, but I’m not telling VW - they can stew a bit longer.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It’s also nice to get the added stutters from the rear.
Haha... [curses you] :LOL:

Really, the CarPlay stuttering is my only remaining issue now. I did work out that if you remove the car from the CarPlay settings in your phone (settings > general > CarPlay > select your ID.3 under 'my car' > select 'forget my car') and then reconnect it to the car via a cable, your iPhone will allow you to set up the connection to the car as being wired only. When in wired mode, there is no stuttering at all. I still think scrolling through CarPlay menus has a bit more lag than it has had in other cars I've owned, but it isn't the end of the world.

The problem with that, though, is that the ID.3 still tries very hard to connect to your phone wirelessly and doesn't give up on it easily. So you get a load of repeated errors that you have to click through on the ID.3 when you get in about failed CarPlay connections until you plug your phone in.

So it's choose your annoyance really... are the error messages more annoying, or is the audio stuttering more annoying? I think for me, I might go for the wired option on long journeys, but stay wireless and live with the stuttering on day-to-day local journeys.

Or, VW could just fix it so that the stuttering goes away. That would be nice too :)

But yes, otherwise, it is a cracking car really... no real complaints anymore!

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,750 Posts
Can you use plain bluetooth to do audio? It's worth checking to see if that stutters as well. Then for short journeys you could use bluetooth audio/music and plug in using carplay for longer ones.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Can you use plain bluetooth to do audio? It's worth checking to see if that stutters as well. Then for short journeys you could use bluetooth audio/music and plug in using carplay for longer ones.
Yes you can, but you'd have to have set up CarPlay on your phone so it is wired connection only, which means you'd still get all the errors as the car tries to connect CarPlay wirelessly and fails. But then you could use the bluetooth wirelessly for the music if you wanted to, and I've used it before and it doesn't stutter.

Must be said with wireless CarPlay as well, it's not just the stuttering. Scrolling through lists within the CarPlay interface is horrifically slow and laggy. It's always been smooth as butter in every other car I've had. It is less laggy when connected by wire, but still not exactly smooth. So I think it's general CarPlay (and especially wireless CarPlay) performance issues... and the audio stuttering is just the most obvious symptom of that.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
It's strange that people are having issues with wireless carplay as our ID3 works perfectly connecting quickly and no issues at all with sound or interface.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
@loggamatt, I suspect, if I experience the same, that CarPlay is going to be an ongoing irritation for me also.

I’ve not got the car yet so I don’t know the ins and outs of the menus but is there not a way to disable the wireless CarPlay from the car end? I have no issue using a cable if it‘s more seamless and responsive, that’s how I connect with my other motors, but continual error messages from failed connections is going get old real quick.

Mind you, that said, I’m not that much of a music person and generally listen to podcasts and audiobooks where the odd stutter will possibly be less jarring than music.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,750 Posts
Might be worth collecting a phone model and iOS version and id.3 software version for those that both do and don't have issues with stuttering on Wireless car play.

Does it do the same stuttering on android auto?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It's strange that people are having issues with wireless carplay as our ID3 works perfectly connecting quickly and no issues at all with sound or interface.
It is strange that some people seem to report no problems. I will say mine also connects quickly, and swapping between CarPlay screens is fine. It's just scrolling down a long list, and the audio stuttering. I have two theories... one is that some people just don't listen to music enough to notice. I mean, the other day I went through 3 songs with not a single stutter, but then I got 2 stutters in the next song. So you do have to have the music cranked up to really notice it. If you're just listening to music in the background I suspect you wouldn't pick up on it. And if you're not very into listening to music in a car, you're probably not scrolling through long lists of music to notice lagging with that either.

The other theory is that, as @srichards suggests, it is only an issue with some iPhone models / some iOS versions. I have an iPhone 12 running on iOS 14.4.2 and my ID.3 is on software 0792.

@loggamatt, I suspect, if I experience the same, that CarPlay is going to be an ongoing irritation for me also.

I’ve not got the car yet so I don’t know the ins and outs of the menus but is there not a way to disable the wireless CarPlay from the car end? I have no issue using a cable if it‘s more seamless and responsive, that’s how I connect with my other motors, but continual error messages from failed connections is going get old real quick.

Mind you, that said, I’m not that much of a music person and generally listen to podcasts and audiobooks where the odd stutter will possibly be less jarring than music.
I haven't found a way to select 'wired only' from the car end, but I do need to do some more exploring in ID.3 menus on this at some point. I do think you're right that it would be much much less annoying or noticeable with spoken word than with music.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yeah, re: the ‘is it a bother?’ element of this. It should be said that I am often in the car alone, and I love music. So on a long trip I tend to have the music cranked up, singing along, drumming on the steering wheel, that sort of thing. On average for me it is maybe 1-2 brief stutters per song. It’s just that when that stutter is right in the middle of your favourite part of the track, and where you expected to hear a vocal hook you instead suddenly hear your own terrible singing of that hook, it is irritating 😂

So if you’re really into your music, it is at the level of mild annoyance that grates on you over time. If you’re not really into your music, I expect you’d barely notice it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I wonder if the head unit is doing something else at the time of each stutter and the additional processing power required is just enough to interfere with the music playback?

I’ve not been able to use Carplay yet as I didn’t have the right software, but I’ve been very happy with the car’s playback over the Bluetooth connection and there has been no stuttering at all. If it wasn’t for wanting to use Waze I’d probably not bother with Carplay.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,750 Posts
Is there an update charge points or similar activity that can be set to do it a lot or not very often? I've definitely had that in a car when it was set to keep doing updates. I set it to only do them when the car was first started and whatever weird behaviour it was causing went away. Might have been the Leaf. The Zoe would often stutter in one particular location as well. It was about a minute after driving away from home.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts