Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have already posted our Kona is poorly, waiting at Tilbury for a new Drive Battery, This is going to take 2 to 5 months. in the mean time we are putting miles on a Loan Kona from Hyundai.

So we have to make a choice (Bearing in mind our previous experience making choices and moving from a Kona to a Model 3 turned out to be a decision we hated despite it being fairly 50/50 on our Pros Cons List.

So this time we have a few more choices

1: Stay in the Loan Car till our Kona is fixed and then go back. to our car with a new battery

2: Do a Rejection on our Kona, take what they will offer us and move to another brand

3: Hyundai have offered us an Ioniq5 Premium RWD 73kw With V2L in Black will buyback our Kona and we pay a so far unknown extra amount to upgrade to the Ioniq5 waiting for Finance Dept to make up a figure (I would prefer the Ultimate buts its A: Money and B: None Available.. Hobsons Choice take the one we have or dont.

4: We asked Hyundai to upgrade us to a New Kona Facelift Ultimate, but they just dont have any, there are some Exdemo ones on Autotrader so again we could do the Rejection or Buyback and go after one of those.

Bearing in Mind we bought our 70Reg Kona PSE as an Exdemo car with a few miles and months on it for a discounted price of £31k and Hyundai know that they aint going to offer top dollar.

So knowing the above and knowing I love the Kona and what it does, and the only thing that draws me to the Ioniq5 is the fast charging. I am stuck in a head spinning circle of what to do.. Stay Upgrade move on.. (It has been over 3 years since we got our first kona now)

What it must do,
250 miles all year all weather. Faster charge a bonus
Price (Tight Northerner So £40k ish max. Can throw £10k or so on top of whatever they give for the Kona), NO MORE

ID4 looks OK, but price.
Mustang Looks OK, But Price.
MG5 LR, Range and Price are OK, but spec uwww
If anyone says Tesla I will find you and beat you with a stick!

A lot will depend on what the offer on the ioniq5 but its not setting me alight which is not a great thing.

All Ideas considered (Subject to the rule above about Telsas). No matter how leftfield..

Thoughts!

·
Registered
Kona 64
739 Posts
You are the expert at testing Kona’s to destruction! I would go with the courtesy car for the duration. Thats miles added in someone else's car and whilst yours is sitting at Tilbury its not adding miles. By the time they fix it, it could be 2022, what a thought. That makes it look like I will not get my replacement battery this year. I almost envy you, though you probably do not see it that way.

As for a replacement, there will always be ex demos around, another Kona still within its 5 year warranty, you could go for the triple? As you pointed out in your review, the Kona is more ‘fuel’ efficient though the Ioniq5 is a lovely car. By then there will be ex demo Ioniq5’s

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I was in your position and the additional cost was fairly reasonable I would definitely opt for the Ioniq 5. There doesn't seem to be any car like it in terms of tech and on paper it seems to be future proofed so should retain its value as the technology on it is 1st class.
Tech is one of the issues, the Kona has all the same Tech (More if you compare the 43k Premium Ioniq5 to the Premium SE or Ultimate Kona) The only think the Ioniq5 seems to offer on that side is much faster charging when using a suitable rapid.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are the expert at testing Kona’s to destruction! I would go with the courtesy car for the duration. Thats miles added in someone else's car and whilst yours is sitting at Tilbury its not adding miles. By the time they fix it, it could be 2022, what a thought. That makes it look like I will not get my replacement battery this year. I almost envy you, though you probably do not see it that way.

As for a replacement, there will always be ex demos around, another Kona still within its 5 year warranty, you could go for the triple?
Yes am adding miles for them. 4k added so far, and a 1500 mile round trip to the North of Scotland for next 2 days,

The time is also is an issue (Winter is Coming as they say) and this loan car does not have heated seats. SWMBO is already wrapped up in a blanket in the passenger seat at 4am this morning heading to London, That is going to turn into a massive moan when it starts to get colder!!!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
We asked Hyundai to upgrade us to a New Kona Facelift Ultimate, but they just dont have any, there are some Exdemo ones on Autotrader so again we could do the Rejection or Buyback and go after one of those.
They're apparently about to get my Surfy Blue ultimate on a 21 Plate and 900 miles on it. That will be making its way down to head office in the next few days. For some reason the dealer has told me its getting sent to Hyundai because they want it rather than them being able to simply sell it on... Maybe they've already got a future planned for it already, but it's worth asking. I've barely used it but in the time I had it I can at least say it doesn't appear to be cursed!

In terms of brand new the dealer was showing me the availability just a few hours ago. Unless you get lucky and find a canceled order there's no new 64kWh Konas until the second week of December.

Depending on what sort of offer they make, the Ioniq 5 probably makes the most sense really. For your mileage the extra space and faster charging can probably only be seen as a good thing.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just read the various comments about lack of rear screen wiper, in this thread Ioniq 5 no rear wiper. Is this a problem?.
Food for thought!
No Vicky never uses the mirrors let alone the Rear window.. (Dent on Rear Bumper of Tesla Model 3 from reversing into a Rapid charge to prove it ;-) ).

She feels thats what blind spot alert and parking sensors are for., More fool you if you stand behind her.

·
Registered
Kona 64
739 Posts
Tech is one of the issues, the Kona has all the same Tech (More if you compare the 43k Premium Ioniq5 to the Premium SE or Ultimate Kona) The only think the Ioniq5 seems to offer on that side is much faster charging when using a suitable rapid.
I am currently in France, here charging prices are by the minute, that makes the Ioniq5 much, much cheaper to charge than my Kona (maxed out at 79kW) . Hence I tend to disconnect once the charging rate drops below 60kW. 60kW charging rate and above, adding 1kW per minute seems to be the sweet spot.

For the UK or most countries in the EU the charging rate on the Ioniq5 whilst impressive, confers no cost advantages. Yes time advantages but not cost and if you have the smaller battery you loose range. If I could justify an equivalent spec Ioniq5 to my Premium SE I would probably go for one,

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,608 Posts
Just seen the Ioniq 5 in the flesh. You’d be a fool not to.

If you say it’s ‘too wide’ then you’ll have to hand your man-card back in.

It has lounge chairs for seats, so would suit your lifestyle. (Sitting at chargers I mean).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,608 Posts
I am currently in France, here charging prices are by the minute, that makes the Ioniq5 much, much cheaper to charge than my Kona (maxed out at 79kW) . Hence I tend to disconnect once the charging rate drops below 60kW. 60kW charging rate and above, adding 1kW per minute seems to be the sweet spot.

For the UK or most countries in the EU the charging rate on the Ioniq5 whilst impressive, confers no cost advantages. Yes time advantages but not cost and if you have the smaller battery you loose range. If I could justify an equivalent spec Ioniq5 to my Premium SE I would probably go for one,
Which chargers were those?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,790 Posts
Scanky old model S and enjoy repair costs and the central dash display ? ;) But seriously it's an impossible choice. Put them all in hat and pick one out? I don't think there is a right answer. Rejection costs are based on use not value so you lose out in a rising market and with the mileage you do.

If you keep the loan car longer as there's nothing affordable with the spec you want that's available they may offer a better deal in the coming weeks. Or get yours fixed faster as you're hammering their loan car.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just seen the Ioniq 5 in the flesh. You’d be a fool not to.

If you say it’s ‘too wide’ then you’ll have to hand your man-card back in.

It has lounge chairs for seats, so would suit your lifestyle. (Sitting at chargers I mean).
The Premium does not have the nice seats I am afraid the interior is more plasticy than the Kona, and Ultimate is out of price range and not available till next year

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,608 Posts
The Premium does not have the nice seats I am afraid the interior is more plasticy than the Kona, and Ultimate is out of price range and not available till next year
Odd, I sat in what I thought was a Premium. (They have different names on the Continent)

Didn’t have an issue with the interior, far better than the Kona I drove this summer.

Interesting what you say about the Ultimate. We have an option on an ex demo Premium, so might just go for it. Life is short.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Odd, I sat in what I thought was a Premium. (They have different names on the Continent)

Didn’t have an issue with the interior, far better than the Kona I drove this summer.

Interesting what you say about the Ultimate. We have an option on an ex demo Premium, so might just go for it. Life is short.
Yeah in the UK the Premium is stripped down. No HUD, No Cooled Seats, No Electric Passenger Seat Adjust, No Mood Lighting, NO All round camera or Blind Spot Camera, only a 2x2 Speaker audio system, its £42k here the Ultimate is £46k+

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,866 Posts
Drive the loan Kona, wait for the numbers to upgrade to Ioniq5. Then, hopefully you will have a better picture and an easier choice.

Without the real numbers... it is difficult, let's call it Stageshoot's choice.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts