Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says, I found out today that I can drive Evie without having the keys in the car with me! Managed a nice jaunt up the A24 at around 60mph quite happily. Arrived at my destination and couldn't find my keys.

Eventually it dawned on me that the last place I'd put them was on the bonnet between the windscreen (yep that nice new screen of mine) and the plastic trim. So my keys had travelled 15 miles on the outside of my car. :eek:

I'm guessing Evie would have stopped quite suddenly had they fallen off! Quite scary that it's possible for me to be that stupid though! :oops:

Anyone else managed it?

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
23 Posts
As title says, I found out today that I can drive Evie without having the keys in the car with me! Managed a nice jaunt up the A24 at around 60mph quite happily. Arrived at my destination and couldn't find my keys.

Eventually it dawned on me that the last place I'd put them was on the bonnet between the windscreen (yep that nice new screen of mine) and the plastic trim. So my keys had travelled 15 miles on the outside of my car. :eek:

I'm guessing Evie would have stopped quite suddenly had they fallen off! Quite scary that it's possible for me to be that stupid though! :oops:

Anyone else managed it?
Believe it or not but even if you had left the keys at home the car won't stop.
Once it's started it worn cut out without the keys , but if the batteries die or you switch it off , it won't restart until the keys are within range .

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Believe it or not but even if you had left the keys at home the car won't stop.
Once it's started it worn cut out without the keys , but if the batteries die or you switch it off , it won't restart until the keys are within range .

Good grief! What idiot designed that system? That's almost as stupid as me! I'd have had no chance if finding them if they had fallen off then!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Rather less dangerous to keep going if they fall off than design it so the car cuts out (no steering, no brakes) while you are doing 70 in the outside lane of the M25.

At least with the way it is, you'll still be alive to phone hubby for the spare set of keys.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rather less dangerous to keep going if they fall off than design it so the car cuts out (no steering, no brakes) while you are doing 70 in the outside lane of the M25.

At least with the way it is, you'll still be alive to phone hubby for the spare set of keys.
I have to say Blackleaf, I hadn't envisaged it just cutting out. Rather a warning and then gradual loss of power. Although how I thought that would work I've no idea. I'm not a techie at all ;)

I was very lucky, no lost keys, no power cut off, no accident and no shamefaced call to hubby for rescue :)

Unfortunately however it's a regular thing for me to do putting the keys there so it was only a matter of time before it happened. Just need to think of a way that I won't forget the keys or drop them in the mud if I take them down the fields with me.

This new car thing has been a very steep learning curve ;)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
It will warn you "key not detected" if you get out while the car is still turned on with the keys in your pocket. Ask me how I know ...

But they don't cut the power, gradually or otherwise, as there is no way to predict how long to make "gradually" last for it to be safe to cut out - you might be hammering past one of those nose-to-tail lorry convoys and losing power would leave you falling backwards into the BMW/Audi that is generally found attached to one's rear bumper.

Easiest option, besides retraining yourself :-0 would probably be to wrap your keys in tinfoil so they can *just* be detected when inside the car but not when outside - getting that balance right will be a serious challenge though. Don't forget that the keys don't need to be inserted anywhere, so you can just leave them in your pocket. I'd keep the Leaf "key" separate from all the other ones so you can do just that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will warn you "key not detected" if you get out while the car is still turned on with the keys in your pocket. Ask me how I know ...

But they don't cut the power, gradually or otherwise, as there is no way to predict how long to make "gradually" last for it to be safe to cut out - you might be hammering past one of those nose-to-tail lorry convoys and losing power would leave you falling backwards into the BMW/Audi that is generally found attached to one's rear bumper.

Easiest option, besides retraining yourself :-0 would probably be to wrap your keys in tinfoil so they can *just* be detected when inside the car but not when outside - getting that balance right will be a serious challenge though. Don't forget that the keys don't need to be inserted anywhere, so you can just leave them in your pocket. I'd keep the Leaf "key" separate from all the other ones so you can do just that.

You're right of course. Retraining myself is the most sensible option. Especially since, unless it's really really cold and I need a coat I don't have any pockets in my horse sorting out gear :( didn't matter before as the Subaru needed the key in the ignition.

Retraining is the only option! :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The first time we took our car out was to show it to some other eco-nuts from Friends of the Earth. My wife had one set of keys, my son had the other. There were five of us in the car.

We went to one pub but they were too crowded and we hadn't booked. My son drove. After that, I took over the driving and everyone got out of the car whilst I manoeuvred it for parking. It told me immediately that the key was not detected so I had to holler at my son to come back again and give me the key.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I remember trying to lock my Leaf with my wife's spare key in her bag in the boot. Drove me nuts for quite some time, cursing the car for not wanting to lock. I forgave the car but will never forgive the wife.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
So if you're in proximity to the car, say uncoupling at a charger, and someone jumps into the drivers seat with the intention of making off, then they can not only do so... but the Leaf won't cut out when it 'realises' the keys aren't within sensor range...

Not a very reassuring amount of security on the part of Nissan!
It's on the windscreen so probably well within the range that the LEAF thinks is "inside" the car. If you're next to, in front or behind the car it knows the keys are not there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It probably won't go if the key is that far away. Time to conduct an experiment.
It will, they all work like that (keyless ICE's too). Its surprising at first but when you really think through all the different scenarios it makes sense.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tested the range of the key, even a couple of feet outside the car means it won't start. If you get out with the keys in your pocket (which I do to open the garage doors) it beeps madly at you, but doesn't cut the engine, so fair warning is given.

·
Registered
330 Posts
yes my experience (not with a Leaf though) is that "inside" the car really means that, not just close by.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts