Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
If it a fault in some Leaf's systems that causes the low voltage, and Nissan cannot be bothered to try and identify what is causing the systems to fail to keep the 12v battery properly charged, then Nissan should bear the cost of replacing batteries killed by their faulty design/quality control [maybe Nissan have decided it is cheaper to replace under warranty those 12v batteries that fail than to go to the trouble and expense of trying to identify the cause of a potentially elusive intermittent fault].
I absolutely agree. Nissan's failure to identify and rectify the elusive glitch means that they should honour the guarantee and replace a dead 12v battery caused by their inability to deal with the situation in a professional manner. And you are probably correct in your assumption that they have decided that this is the cheapest way to deal with the problem. All well and good.

However, standing on your dignity and demanding replacement batteries is no compensation for the severe inconvenience caused by being locked out of the car - or unable to start it - or being late for work - or getting wet on an 'orrible dark winter night. We know from experience that ranting at Nissan and demanding replacement batteries eventually resolves the situation. As it should.

The point is that the glitch is well documented. And happens to quite a few cars. Many escape the problem. It has proven to be very elusive. And random. But over time we have discovered that spending a few minutes a month when kicking tyres and filling screenwash bottles to pop it on charge for a longish period reduces the problem to a minor irritation rather than a major disaster. When I owned a Leaf I invested that charge connection/disconnection time regularly and the car never again let me down. I consider that to be a result.

Others prefer to risk falling into the same trap as before and deal with the aggravation of recovering from a stranding and a subsequent service visit to replace the battery. It's a matter of personal choice over how to deal with the Leaf 12v saga.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
This isn't about the battery itself. ...
It may well be, at least in part. The Which? car guide 2019 lists the Qashqui as being in need of recall (a list titled 'Cars that we think should be recalled and haven't been") due to higher than normal levels of battery failure. Apparently, UK made cars had European made batteries fitted which have proved problematic. Nissan says that they have swapped to a different battery now. I'd guess they fitted the same make to the Leaf.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
It may well be, at least in part. The Which? car guide 2019 lists the Qashqui as being in need of recall (a list titled 'Cars that we think should be recalled and haven't been") due to higher than normal levels of battery failure. Apparently, UK made cars had European made batteries fitted which have proved problematic. Nissan says that they have swapped to a different battery now. I'd guess they fitted the same make to the Leaf.
You could be right. Part of the problem could indeed be a bad choice of equipment driven by price. But the car's charging regime is mostly at fault. If a poorly designed battery is not 'maintained' by the charging system it will fail earlier than a more robust battery. This poorly designed charge regime was spotted many years as evidenced by this forum thread from 3 years ago.

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=22752

·
Registered
62 Posts
New to Leaf life, so forgive me if this thought has been aired: on my old Skoda Roomster, there was a known issue with a poor glovebox light switch, which could cause a slow battery drain, also on my car the boot light could stay on if the hatch wasn't slammed firmly shut, handily one could spy the bootlight through a gap betwixt parcel shelf and OSR interior trim. With the glovebox, one simply removed the bulb, job done!
My Leaf, 30kWh Acenta. Touch wood, at 3.5yrs, its 12v battery seems to be holding up ok. Thoughts? Btw, how much would a suitable smart charger cost, is there a spec to help select a goodun? Bringing the 12v indoors once a month to trickle charge overnight, last done with mk1 Astra 1.6 diesel 1987-1996, inadequate starter motor feed cables apparently the cause, I learned later!

·
Registered
62 Posts
New to Leaf life, so forgive me if this thought has been aired: on my old Skoda Roomster, there was a known issue with a poor glovebox light switch, which could cause a slow battery drain, also on my car the boot light could stay on if the hatch wasn't slammed firmly shut, handily one could spy the bootlight through a gap betwixt parcel shelf and OSR interior trim. With the glovebox, one simply removed the bulb, job done!
My Leaf, 30kWh Acenta. Touch wood, at 3.5yrs, its 12v battery seems to be holding up ok. Thoughts? Btw, how much would a suitable smart charger cost, is there a spec to help select a goodun? Bringing the 12v indoors once a month to trickle charge overnight, last done with mk1 Astra 1.6 diesel 1987-1996, inadequate starter motor feed cables apparently the cause, I learned later!
Only needed in winter, indirect injection, long glowplugs wait, big drain.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This very thing happened to my env200 last week , what a panic . Had to leave it a work and came to it the following morning and out of the blue it worked. I was thinking it was the dcdc converter.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
FWIW, I took advantage of eBay 20%-off offer and ordered this Exide Premium for £50.33 delivered: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-012-Car-Battery-5-Years-Warranty-53Ah-540cca-12V-Electrical-Exide-EA530/401725541662

Exide Preimum is said to charge 1.5x faster than their £40 standard battery. Good for EV's 12v charging regime right?
£50 for a beefier battery than originally fitted seems an excellent deal.

Fits my Gen 1.5 '64 reg 24 kWh Leaf Tekna.
My car was at service in October and was told battery tester showed 12v could only do ~230 amps instead of rated 400+ amps. Not a big concern for EV but does show the battery is on its last legs. So changing it sooner rather than later, then I don't have to worry my wife getting odd behaviours mentioned earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Happened to me a few days ago! Went to the car one morning and....nothing....couldn't get in...coiuldn't do anything. Used the proper key thing to gain access, totally dead. Popped the bonnet and tested the battery 4.9 v.

Charged it up and could get the car going but it wouldn't hold charge, so replaced. Got a Yuasa for approx £65 fitted, so quite reasonable.

Didn't like that sinking feeling though that morning of the whole car being dead! Didn't initially know what had gone wrong and i assumed the worst! I think the battery may have been on the way out for a while, but the act of me charging the car on most evenings had kept it going. Then...one night, i didn't charge it...and it was very very cold too...and....thats what showed it up.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
There is a difference between the battery going bad and you letting it go bad (which is usually called 'damaging it').

If I deliberately drove over a bunch of screws dropped on the road because "I shouldn't have to avoid it, they should not be there" and end up with a load of punctured tyres, then personally I'd say "I have damaged these tyres" not "these tyres have gone bad".

Each to his own, I can't fathom how some people think. Do whatever .....
You really are one of the most obtuse people on the net. When you go to the car and the battery has gone flat say after 2 or 3 days of no use (of its own accord) and thus is now buggered, I fail to see how I damaged it. Its not like I left the lights on or anything to cause it to go bad.

I rarely read what you type these days, most of the time its not accurate. Not because your unintelligent, simply because your blinkered. Good day !!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,669 Posts
You really are one of the most obtuse people on the net.
Is that a complement?

Do you mean I am right and stick to my guns, despite people trying to infer I am not?

(Of course, saying I am obtuse is not the same thing as saying I am wrong.)

So, OK, I'll take that. Thanks.

When you go to the car and the battery has gone flat say after 2 or 3 days of no use (of its own accord) and thus is now buggered, I fail to see how I damaged it.
If you walked away from the car when the battery was ooooonly just adequately charged and you knew it, then, yeah, it is your fault.

If you did not know it was only just charged at that point, and would therefore go flat, then of course you cannot be expected to have done anything about it.

But therein the last part of that last sentence is the clue; if you could have been expected to do something about it, then what?

You know all the details now. Feel free to kill your battery as you wish, and waste your time to the dealer multiple times.

If you consider someone who refuses to charge up their battery manually once a month just because they shouldn't have to, then complains when the battery goes flat, I will take it on advisement if I am more obtuse than that person. Personally, I would say someone who refuses to do something they really should do to avoid problems, then complains about the consequences of them not doing that, is far more obtuse than I could ever boast of being.

Good luck. Hope you don't find you jump pack flat in the glovebox just when you need it .....

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Sorry to interrupt, chaps, can someone advise me what sort of make or spec I should be seeking, re smart 12v trickle charger. Thanks.
CTEK have a great reputation but are fairly expensive. There are cheaper alternatives that perform just as well.

Mine is a TorQ EBSC0012 which has proved to be reliable and effective for four years. Again, there are cheaper alternatives if you search for smart 12v DC chargers.

https://www.diy.com/departments/torq-12a-amp-car-battery-charger/258249_BQ.prd

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
NP Richard. One thing though. You may notice from other buyer comments of such units that they won't work if a battery is completely dead. They analyse first and if they find no reading they have no data to configure a charging regime so just refuse to start. It's like attaching the leads to a turnip. That has no residual charge either. The answer is to apply jump leads to another good 12v battery and run that car for ten minutes. Then attach the smart charger which will now have a reading to start operations. But, of course, even a full 24-hour conditioning charge may not revive a totally dead battery that has had cell degradation. The key is to use a smart charger regularly whether it seems to need it or not. That will avoid sulphidation and prolonge the life of the battery. Also, reduce the possibility that it could let you down at an inconvenient time and place.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Is that a complement?

Do you mean I am right and stick to my guns, despite people trying to infer I am not?

(Of course, saying I am obtuse is not the same thing as saying I am wrong.)

So, OK, I'll take that. Thanks.

If you walked away from the car when the battery was ooooonly just adequately charged and you knew it, then, yeah, it is your fault.

If you did not know it was only just charged at that point, and would therefore go flat, then of course you cannot be expected to have done anything about it.

But therein the last part of that last sentence is the clue; if you could have been expected to do something about it, then what?

You know all the details now. Feel free to kill your battery as you wish, and waste your time to the dealer multiple times.

If you consider someone who refuses to charge up their battery manually once a month just because they shouldn't have to, then complains when the battery goes flat, I will take it on advisement if I am more obtuse than that person. Personally, I would say someone who refuses to do something they really should do to avoid problems, then complains about the consequences of them not doing that, is far more obtuse than I could ever boast of being.

Good luck. Hope you don't find you jump pack flat in the glovebox just when you need it .....
No what I mean is that you are a person that is so full of them self you cant see anyone else's point other than your own. There is no compliment - the fact you take it as one is evidence enough. Suffice to say I guess there is a reason you come on a forum and spout your rubbish lol. You need help...

Oh and on another point this is precisely the reason why I refused to help you via PM that time.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,669 Posts
No what I mean is that you are a person that is so full of them self you cant see anyone else's point other than your own. There is no compliment - the fact you take it as one is evidence enough. Suffice to say I guess there is a reason you come on a forum and spout your rubbish lol. You need help...

Oh and on another point this is precisely the reason why I refused to help you via PM that time.
Ok, so maybe you are right I can't see people's point sometimes. I don't doubt it, just like people don't see mine (often) . Not maybe in this case, you are right, I can't see the point you're trying to make.

Meanwhile, just because I can't see someone else's view still doesn't mean you are saying I wrong.

Why can't you see my point? : You haven't yet said if you think I am wrong about something?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts