Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Leaf 30 needs its first MOT and another service. Before I roll down my pants and bend over in front of my (terrible) local Nissan dealer in Bridgend, can anyone tell me if there's anyone else in the area who can 'service' my car at a more reasonable rate? Anywhere in the South Wales area would be fine..

Mr R.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Is the lure of franchise dealer servicing worth the cost? Yes you get the breakdown cover, but otherwise look for a Hevra approved garage. Alternatively Newton Motors in Cwmbran are OK.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To be honest, if you look at what they do most is covered by the MOT anyway (in terms of checking safety related stuff) as there is very little to "service" on a leaf. From memory the bits that aren't are:
  1. Fitting a new pollen filter - Fairly straightforward DIY job
  2. Rotating the tyres (i.e. swapping front to back) to even the wear - I have never seen the point in this on a 2wd car, once the front ones have worn out I swap the backs to the front and put a new set on the back.
  3. Changing the brake fluid - Nissan schedule this every two years (in fact that is the only difference between a major and minor service) but I use a brake fluid tester (a proper boiling point one, not the resistance type which are renowned for being hopelessly inaccurate) to see whether it actually needs to be done. Any halfway decent garage will be able to do this for you.
  4. Doing the battery report - and this is where they have you by the goolies, because in order to keep the battery guarantee you need to have this done each year. You could try asking the dealer if they will just do a battery report for you.
  5. Any recalls - you can check on the Nissan website to see if any are outstanding on your car.
  6. A very quick wash and vacuum
Effectively what you are actually paying for is the extended battery guarantee and the work on the car is incidental.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Major service seems to be £209 from every main dealer. Called a couple of HEVRA dealers and they also seemed to offer the same service for the exactly same price but without the breakdown assistance etc. Not sure what the point of that is.
IS there anyone cheaper anywhere for a major service or should I just shut up and pay?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Is the lure of franchise dealer servicing worth the cost? Yes you get the breakdown cover, but otherwise look for a Hevra approved garage. Alternatively Newton Motors in Cwmbran are OK.
SO if you have your leaf serviced at a main dealer (even a second hand one) then you get breakdown cover? Does this include running out of... erm.. juice..?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,697 Posts
Major service seems to be £209 from every main dealer. Called a couple of HEVRA dealers and they also seemed to offer the same service for the exactly same price but without the breakdown assistance etc. Not sure what the point of that is.
IS there anyone cheaper anywhere for a major service or should I just shut up and pay?
Yeah, this is a big problem at the moment. I called every HEVRA mechanic within a reasonable distance of me, and most were the same as a dealer (one was MORE!). One worked out cheaper, but not by enough to justify it once you take into account that I'd need to buy breakdown cover separately.

Yes, Nissan main dealer servicing comes with a year's breakdown and accident recovery - including running out of electricity. It's provided by RAC - I had call to use it last week when a pothole destroyed my tyre and it was very much worth it!

We need more mechanics to learn EVs! It's going to become a bigger problem than public charging was before the networks realised they had to expand on private investment.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have just booked my minor 3rd. year service £159. Have resolved that it is better to just pay and accept its a rip off. As a trainee Yorkshire man this is not easy:)
Breakdown cover is handy and hopefully will not need it. Main dealer service stamp will help when selling. Car gets a clean inside and out.
Had my MOT done at my local National tyre centre £35. Passed with no advisory. Have used them in past for MOT oil and filter change tyres and exhaust on my previous ICE cars and had good value service.
Asked about changing pollen filter on leaf and kick the tyres but Head office say dont touch EV's.
Talking to service guy today he said dont know what we are going to do when everybody has electric. I said its not gonna happen for a few years and cars will still need tyres and brake service just no exhaust.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Doing the battery report - and this is where they have you by the goolies, because in order to keep the battery guarantee you need to have this done each year. You could try asking the dealer if they will just do a battery report for you.
Can anyone actually confirm this is true, or is this just presumed wisdom and here say ?

How can Nissan legally refuse a battery warranty claim due to a gap in "servicing" the car when there are no service items which have any material impact on the health of the traction battery or other warranted high voltage items ?

Sorry, but "Doing the battery report" does zero except give them a nice paper printout of the current status of the battery. This is not "servicing".

Has anyone had a battery warranty claim turned down or challenged this nonsense in court ? They're not the only one to do it though - Peugeot do exactly the same with their completely useless "extended battery warranty" for the Ion, which depends on regular servicing of items not pertaining to the traction battery or high voltage system. And they don't even bother to check the traction battery health during a service! Just a joke.

·
2,697 Posts
I have just booked my minor 3rd. year service £159. Have resolved that it is better to just pay and accept its a rip off. As a trainee Yorkshire man this is not easy:)
Breakdown cover is handy and hopefully will not need it. Main dealer service stamp will help when selling. Car gets a clean inside and out.
Had my MOT done at my local National tyre centre £35. Passed with no advisory. Have used them in past for MOT oil and filter change tyres and exhaust on my previous ICE cars and had good value service.
Asked about changing pollen filter on leaf and kick the tyres but Head office say dont touch EV's.
Talking to service guy today he said dont know what we are going to do when everybody has electric. I said its not gonna happen for a few years and cars will still need tyres and brake service just no exhaust.
Yeah - for the potential saving (of zero), I determined that it's worth sucking it up just for the perceived value when I come to sell it and the breakdown recovery.

Also means I don't have to worry about the battery warranty if I need it. I'm confident it'd be fine, but I haven't got time for messing around arguing over such details.

I toyed with getting it MOTd elsewhere, but again for £20 it's more hassle than it's worth. I'd spend the money I save dealing with the associated admin and keeping life going around it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can anyone actually confirm this is true, or is this just presumed wisdom and here say ?
It is what the paperwork for the warrantee said when we bought the car, before I even came onto forums about it. I think they would be on a sticky wicket if they said you had to have it serviced by them every year to maintain the warrantee, but by saying you have to get the battery checked (so we can check on any issues before they get bigger and make the repair more expensive m'lud) they effectively work around it as they don't list a battery check as a separate service. I know people have talked about asking Nissan to just do a battery check but as yet I don't know anyone who has tried it. Given the local dealer bu66ered things up so badly last year that I had to have it recovered back to them as it couldn't be driven I am reluctant to let them touch anymore of it than they have ot this year.

·
Registered
268 Posts
On my second service I asked if they could check the 12 volt battery condition, as I had read that there had been some failures at inopportune times leaving you stranded.
Yes sir that will be an additional £70 for us to have a look. Cant print my response.

·
2,697 Posts
On my second service I asked if they could check the 12 volt battery condition, as I had read that there had been some failures at inopportune times leaving you stranded.
Yes sir that will be an additional £70 for us to have a look. Cant print my response.
Bargain! My dealer want £96 just to investigate why my charge port door doesn't pop up when you release it.

The problem is literally not worth more than £20 given the pitiful extra effort required to work around it!

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
UK and European legal position on service work required to maintain warranties is that ANY VAT registered garage can do the work. End of...

·
2,697 Posts
UK and European legal position on service work required to maintain warranties is that ANY VAT registered garage can do the work. End of...
They must still be suitably qualified - that's the difficult bit for an EV component specific warranty.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
They must still be suitably qualified - that's the difficult bit for an EV component specific warranty.
Except, there is no "servicing" of the high voltage EV specific parts of the car being done.

That is the con. Changing brake fluid and pollen filter and rotating tyres is not EV specific.

And plugging in a diagnostic tool and printing out a "battery health" report is not servicing.

If they were doing something like changing battery coolant you might have a point.

·
2,697 Posts
Except, there is no "servicing" of the high voltage EV specific parts of the car being done.

That is the con. Changing brake fluid and pollen filter and rotating tyres is not EV specific.

And plugging in a diagnostic tool and printing out a "battery health" report is not servicing.

If they were doing something like changing battery coolant you might have a point.
Various battery tests are part of the service schedule. You might consider servicing to only be of mechanical things, I don't.

You're welcome to do as you wish - personally, I don't see any advantage to having a third party service my car at all, given the ones who are actually qualified to work on EVs are price gouging worse than main dealers are at the moment.

Maybe Nissan would pay out a battery warranty claim without any evidence of the regular testing having been done - I don't know, and frankly I don't have the time to waste finding out.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Various battery tests are part of the service schedule. You might consider servicing to only be of mechanical things, I don't.
Various battery tests, such as ? Measuring the state of health ? Why should measuring the state of health or not every year have any bearing on whether they honour their battery warranty or not ? If they won't replace the battery until the SoH is below 70% what does it matter if it was 80% the year before and 85% the year before that ? They have a set of criteria that will result in a battery replacement, (age, mileage, SoH) if the criteria are met at the time the claim is made it should be honoured, plain and simple.

Trying to say the warranty is invalid if you don't do yearly servicing is just a con to get you to take your car to their expensive "servicing", and I doubt it would stand up in court if anyone took it that far.
You're welcome to do as you wish - personally, I don't see any advantage to having a third party service my car at all, given the ones who are actually qualified to work on EVs are price gouging worse than main dealers are at the moment.
I don't want 3rd parties servicing my car either. I'd rather do it myself, especially on an EV where there is almost zero to be done. I'm fully capable of doing any servicing it needs. People need to understand that the "servicing" done on an EV is child's play compared to that needed by an ICE.
Maybe Nissan would pay out a battery warranty claim without any evidence of the regular testing having been done - I don't know, and frankly I don't have the time to waste finding out.
If you're OK being conned by Nissan that you must take it to them to service to "maintain" the battery warranty, go right ahead.

If I buy a 3 year old Leaf then I will be taking it to them for the yearly service as well - but under extreme protest and only to "maintain" the battery warranty - for no other reason.

Another point to this issue - when shopping for a second hand Leaf, do you need to be sure the servicing history has been kept up before buying it, and how can you tell ? Has anyone bought a Leaf with missing service history who has then been told their battery warranty is invalid ? That's a pretty major point isn't it ? Does buying a 2nd hand Leaf via a Nissan dealer "magically" reset the service history so the battery warranty is valid again ? Lots of unanswered questions surrounding the validity of the battery warranty on a 2nd hand Leaf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts