Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Are BMW importing Chinese built cars for the European market?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I guess so. I've just had an email from BMW telling me about the forthcoming iX3, including how much testing it had on Chinese roads. They don't seem to be hiding the fact.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am not in the market for one but I’m not so sure that is a great selling point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got to be honest. £25k ish for a Chinese product (MG) is probably about right. £60k for a Chinese BMW is laughable.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
"First previewed at the 2018 Beijing motor show, the iX3 breaks new ground by being the first BMW to be produced in China for export to key world markets."

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Why do people feel that a BMW built in China by presumably predominantly Chinese workers, using BMW build methods and quality processes will be a poorer product not worthy of its price tag?

I’m sure if BMW didn’t think it would stand scrutiny in Western markets they wouldn’t sell it?

Genuine questions.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Why do people feel that a BMW built in China by presumably predominantly Chinese workers, using BMW build methods and quality processes will be a poorer product not worthy of its price tag?

I’m sure if BMW didn’t think it would stand scrutiny in Western markets they wouldn’t sell it?

Genuine questions.
Recall what happened when some Merc models shifted production from Germany to South Africa. Terrible quality problems as a consequence for a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Recall what happened when some Merc models shifted production from Germany to South Africa. Terrible quality problems as a consequence for a long time.
I remember the outcry when the 190/W217 was replaced, was that the same time period?

A quick Google suggests that the SA plants rank very highly.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I remember the outcry when the 190/W217 was replaced, was that the same time period?

A quick Google suggests that the SA plants rank very highly.
Yes it was. It has all come good now but it took a long time for MB to recover from the reputational fallout. Lots of suspension and transmission problems. Wealthy friend had an MB in that era and after five years of expensive repairs he said never again and went and bought a BMW. And that proved to be a pile of ..................

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
My father had a 190 estate as the family workhorse back in the day, I don’t think he ever forgave them for discontinuing it!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
There is a design clue with BMW. If it has an oversized grill it is intended first and foremost for the Chinese market where the bigger the front grill the better the car will sell. In European we find the styling hideous but MB and BMW have enough confidence that the badge alone will sell the car.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
My father had a 190 estate as the family workhorse back in the day, I don’t think he ever forgave them for discontinuing it!
That was a problem for MB, they were too good and lasted too long. The car would last for ever, 300k miles was possible. The body was so stiff and strong they felt as if they had been carved out of stone and had no problems coping with bad roads anywhere in the world. .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts