Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Does such an adaptor exist, ie a plug changer for a tethered j1772 ?
Adapters are prohibited by the IEC standards and I suspect they will become 'illegal' when the EU clean fuel directive starts mandating standards compliance.

Obviously, this doesn't prevent anyone from buying an adapter if one is made available on the grey market. My biggest worry would be personal liability following a fire :(

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@Kevin Sharpe Do you know the rationale behind banning adapters? Is it not very similar to plugging into a socket on a charging pod only the socket is on a tethered cable?

·
Registered
i8, e2008, i3, eNV200
235 Posts
Both a type 1 to type 2 and a type 2 to type 1 adaptor will save people having to change their tethered home charging points when they change vehicles that have a different connector.

It will be interesting to see if anyone brings these out in the coming months...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it would be a shame to throw away a prefectly good type 1 charger just to replace it with a type 2 because of a change of cars. I know I can get a type 2 charger for free but I really dont want to scrap a perfectly good charging station.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tesla apparently make a type 1 to US tesla S plug converter, but given UK model S will come with a type 2 on the car it wont be any use

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
@Kevin Sharpe Do you know the rationale behind banning adapters?
I think safety and the need to comply with national standards is whats behind this requirement. Here's the most relevant section from the IEC 61851-1 Standard;

IEC61851-1_Adaptors.png

Today this standard is not incorporated into UK law. However, once we have an EU directive we will be obliged to meet its requirements and I have no doubt that IEC 61851-1 will be one of the many referenced standards.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
it would be a shame to throw away a prefectly good type 1 charger just to replace it with a type 2 because of a change of cars. I know I can get a type 2 charger for free but I really dont want to scrap a perfectly good charging station.
I think many people will simply have the tethered cable replaced. Personally I think OLEV should have mandated Type 2 socket Charging Stations but that would have required shuttered sockets for UK standards compliance and they are single sourced today :(

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently not an option today, I was told they would replace the whole unit, seems a terrible waste

·
Registered
i8, e2008, i3, eNV200
235 Posts
Is there any reason why a user can't attach a 5 pin female commando socket onto their home charger's tethered cable ...and then just make a short male commando to type 2 cable, and also a commando to type 1 cable - so that they can interchange it with a type 1 or type 2 for whatever type vehicle they are using?

·
Registered
i8, e2008, i3, eNV200
235 Posts
You are free to do whatever you want... the fundamental issue is liability when things go wrong.
Sure, but my question was more from a technical standpoint as to whether there is anything that would technically inhibit a user doing this eg the wiring for type 2 7 pin vs type 1 5 pin etc

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Sure, but my question was more from a technical standpoint as to whether there is anything that would technically inhibit a user doing this eg the wiring for type 2 7 pin vs type 1 5 pin etc
Both the Type 1 ("J1772") and the Type 2 ("mennekes") single phase cables have four conductors - Live, Neutral, Earth, Pilot - obviously you could use any suitable connectors you wish if you're not interested in standards compliance.

Type_1_Pigtail_Cable.JPG

·
Registered
i8, e2008, i3, eNV200
235 Posts
Both the Type 1 ("J1772") and the Type 2 ("mennekes") single phase cables have four conductors - Live, Neutral, Earth, Pilot - obviously you could use any suitable connectors you wish if you're not interested in standards compliance.
Great, thanks - so that could be a good workaround in the future for those who end up with the wrong type of tethered connector on their home charger.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get the ZCW type 1 to 2 cable ASAP?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I think safety and the need to comply with national standards is whats behind this requirement. Here's the most relevant section from the IEC 61851-1 Standard;

View attachment 263

Today this standard is not incorporated into UK law. However, once we have an EU directive we will be obliged to meet its requirements and I have no doubt that IEC 61851-1 will be one of the many referenced standards.
Strangely, my reading of that section means that a Type-2 to Type-1 cable (as was sold by ZCW) counts as an adaptor and as such must be specifically approved my the vehicle manufacturer or EVSE manufacturer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, great discussion on here.
I have a Polar Chargemaster 16-Amp tethered home charger (British Gas install) for a planned purchase of a Volvo V60.
My employers have now withdrawn the option of leasing the Volvo and I'm now looking at the new Mitsubishi Outlander. The charger currently has a J1772 socket attached, the cable below appears to convert this to a 62196 connector which would connect to the Mitsubishi. Is this correct or am I misunderstanding these connections?

Complete newbie so apologies if I've asked anything thick!!

Cheers

Scot

http://evconnectors.com/Type-2-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Cables-and-Sockets/Type-2-Connectors-16-amp/Type-2-16-amp-Plugs-and-Cables/j1772-to-62196-2-16-amp-plugs-and-cable-dsi-dsiec-ev16p

1 - 20 of 70 Posts