Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,888 Posts
Do they actually mean 'all electric' or just that all of their cars will have hybrid drives?

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
106 Posts
Do they actually mean 'all electric' or just that all of their cars will have hybrid drives?
All electric. What caught my eye was this quote “The problem is, electric cars cost more to design and build than conventional models, meaning it is currently hard to make a profit from them”. Really?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
All electric. What caught my eye was this quote “The problem is, electric cars cost more to design and build than conventional models, meaning it is currently hard to make a profit from them”. Really?
They've managed to build them sub contracted into a high labour cost country presumably without making too much of a loss. Things can only get easier!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,888 Posts
“All Jaguar and Land Rover nameplates to be available in pure electric form by end of the decade; first all-electric Land Rover model in 2024”

So no, not all of their cars sold will be fully electric by 2025.

·
Registered
618 Posts
“All Jaguar and Land Rover nameplates to be available in pure electric form by end of the decade; first all-electric Land Rover model in 2024”

So no, not all of their cars sold will be fully electric by 2025.
All “Jaguar” cars will be fully electric, the LR range are coming up the rear.....it’s a bit more difficult for the LR range.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,888 Posts
All “Jaguar” cars will be fully electric, the LR range are coming up the rear.....it’s a bit more difficult for the LR range.
‘Available in’ - so they will still be selling ICE albeit in hybrid form to meet fleet emissions standards.

Weasel words.

·
Registered
320 Posts
For a comparative minnow like JLR to make a profit with EVs throughout their range, they will probably have to share a platform with another manufacturer. It'll be interesting to see who that partner will be, and if they can do it without being swallowed up/asset-stripped by that company.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
323 Posts
‘Available in’ - so they will still be selling ICE albeit in hybrid form to meet fleet emissions standards.

Weasel words.
From now until 2025 all Jaguar's will have an "electric option". So yes does include Hybrids, but also Hydrogen and full BEV's. From 2025 all Jag's will be Electric (Hydrogen or Battery).

All Land Rovers will have an electric option from 2025, with the fleet replaced by all electric by 2036 (a bit odd as the UK can't sell ICE from 2031 - so I assume other markets like America).

While the Land Rover announcement isn't as impressive ... I suspect they are just waiting for battery tech to get that low they can get 200kW batteries inside them to keep their range decent and/or until Hydrogen is more readily available.

Still the Jag announcement is exciting.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
68 Posts
Lots of research and development into hydrogen, seems the way forward for many large luxury heavy carmakers. It’s been a non starter for many years but now seems to have real traction as a potential problem solver - weight. Land Rover rather than Jaguar would benefit more due to the size of their vehicles, but just read an article where a hydrogen powered car got the same range as a Tesla on only a 5kg tank. JLR knows the long term future isn’t BEV, carting round huge heavy capacity batteries for large cars. Plenty of work to do but certainly exciting times, I thought hydrogen had been written off!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,888 Posts
Still the Jag announcement is exciting.
How is it any more exciting than say that of FCA, who are doing the same thing with Fiats and Maseratis?

Hardly groundbreaking. I think they're just stating what they're forced to do.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Making higher end luxury vehicles must give them an advantage. If battery technology advances at a similar rate as it has been makers of large vehicles should be able to eek out enough range to keep their prospective customers happy.
It's the brand that service the small family hatchbacks, or offer a wide range of vehicles who are going to have their work cut out.
Joe Bloggs doesn't want a car that can only do a maximum of 200 miles even though they only drive further a couple of times a year, consumers want the full fat option as soon as possible.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I did. Which bit did I get wrong?

I do hope you didn’t think they would stop selling ICE equipped cars by 2025.
"New CEO Thierry Bolloré has set a target for the British firm, owned by the Indian Tata Motors group, to become a net-zero-carbon business by 2039, including a major shift to electrification. By the end of the decade, every Jaguar and Land Rover model will be offered with an electric-only version.

Bolloré said that there are currently no plans to close any manufacturing facilities.
All Jaguar and Land Rover models will be offered with an electric powertrain by the end of the decade, with Jaguar becoming an electric-only luxury brand from 2025 onwards".

Seems clear to me............

1 - 20 of 29 Posts