Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am looking for SUV that will usually be driving in urban areas.
I-PACE is very ice in my opinion.
But who are the competition in the urban EV SUV segment ?
and how much would you consider I-PACE a SUV ?

·
Super Moderator
11,714 Posts
But who are the competition in the urban EV SUV segment ?
Tesla Model X
BMW iX3 (due later this year)
Mercedes EQC
Audi e-Tron

Tesla Model Y maybe ????

Others, like the Kia e-Niro and the MG eZS are a lot less expensive -- not in the same segment at all.

·
Super Moderator
11,714 Posts
realistically, in terms of quality, availability and price, at the moment its just the e-tron
Yeah. It depends on what criteria we choose.

iPace is roughly £65,000 to £80,000 but there have been lease deals.

Model Y Long Range should be less expensive than the iPace. UK prices aren't out yet and Tesla do not discount. Deliveries just started in the US. UK? I have no idea.

If sheer size matters, the e-Tron is larger than either of the above.

Model X is even larger than the Audi and starts around £86,000.

We shouldn't go by specs alone though. I found the LEAF hard to manoeuvre for the size. An Outlander was just a hard / easy to park even though it is bigger. So much depends on design as well as dimensions.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The I-PACE (in my view) is not an SUV. it’s a raised saloon car. It’s a fantastic car I accept -and I have one, but it’s not a mud plugger, can’t tow and has 5 seats.
It does have AWD and does go very fast and is the best car I’ve ever owned. To replace it, I’ll be looking at the model 3 LR, polestar and model y. I’m not interested in the ETron or Mercedes

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
The I-PACE (in my view) is not an SUV. it’s a raised saloon car. It’s a fantastic car I accept -and I have one, but it’s not a mud plugger, can’t tow and has 5 seats.
Interesting view. A lot of Range Rover products fall into the same category with the exception of being able to tow which I believe in the case of the i-Pace is mainly related to range anxiety rather than ability. In both cases the mud-plugging is limited by the tyres rather than the suspension or transmission. I appreciate that Jaguar are trying to differentiate their product in the marketplace, and the i-Pace is an English rather than American take on the concept, but to me it is an SUV as originally they were just raised saloon cars with a door at the back.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,925 Posts
Interesting view. A lot of Range Rover products fall into the same category with the exception of being able to tow which I believe in the case of the i-Pace is mainly related to range anxiety rather than ability. In both cases the mud-plugging is limited by the tyres rather than the suspension or transmission. I appreciate that Jaguar are trying to differentiate their product in the marketplace, and the i-Pace is an English rather than American take on the concept, but to me it is an SUV as originally they were just raised saloon cars with a door at the back.
View attachment 128876
Surely that old red American car would have been called Station Wagon.

The iPace is designed to reflect Jaguars performance heritage. The four wheel drive is for best performance and handling. Not mud plugging or towing.

So it was never meant to be efficient either!

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
So it was never meant to be efficient either!
So after all the bragging pre-launch that JLR did about the efforts they went to to make a car that you can drive properly and have decent range, you say they never meant to make it an efficient car?

I’m confused.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,925 Posts
I think that their priority is always performance. They thought that they had provided enough battery to give enough range.

If you want efficiency, you can buy something else.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
From the Jaguar website:

Jaguar I-PACE’s highly efficient heat pump harvests heat from the outside air and electronic components of the vehicle. The warmth is transferred to the cabin via the heating and ventilation system, reducing the power demand from the battery while maximising range.
Not sure why they went to the trouble of adding a heat pump if they weren’t interested in efficiency.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
The iPace is designed to reflect Jaguars performance heritage. The four wheel drive is for best performance and handling.
Marketing BS covering the fact that they are following fashion.

How does a
a raised saloon car
reflect performance heritage? Jag's from day 1 (as SS) were low and relatively aerodynamic. Four wheel drive has little effect on handling - the Mitsubishi EVO and Subaru STi have fantastic grip and power but poor handling, and let's not go into the world of Series Land Rovers. Apart from Lamborghini few supercars use four wheel drive, and a Model S 85 Performance with only rear wheel drive will still beat an i-Pace in a drag race let alone on a track.

By the way, the picture was the Granddaddy of all SUVs, the 1935 Chevy Suburban - truly a Utility Vehicle that could carry passengers, goods, luggage etc.

Edited to add - the i-Pace is an excellent example of the breed, and compared to the E-Tron or M-B EQC is the best.

·
Leaf lover
4,411 Posts
Given the turmoil the world is in with CV it could well be Tesla will build RHD model Y's sooner rather than later, who knows but it does look worth waiting for. And their exclusive supercharger network is a huge consideration.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Why would you even consider an SUV in an urban environment? Surely a smaller, city sized car would be far more beneficial to the OP and everyone else around them.
Without wanting to sound like a hypocrite, I drive an I-Pace, it's great out in the rural environment where I live, but taking it into work in my local city is bloody stupid, it's a big lump of steel that takes up far too much room on the already congested roads and within carparks.

Bigger isn't always better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts