Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JLR produce some of the most polluting vehicles on the UK car market today. They have Steyr produce the excellent i-Pace for them in Austria but it only sells in relatively small numbers due to its excessive price. It was recently announced that Jaguar was to become an "all electric" brand by 2025 but that turned out to mean that they would have one EV version of each Jaguar model and the rest would be hybrids.
Now it has been announced that the new purely EV XJ that was on track for launch at the end of the year and would be built in the UK has been cancelled.
Electric Jaguar XJ plans axed at last minute | Auto Express

Clearly JLR intends to remain wedded to SUVs built abroad.

Tut tut. :mad:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Abroad where? They're an Indian owned company, so the UK is abroad. Slapping a Union Flag on the car is the equivalent of the MPs flag off that's going on at the moment every time they appear on the TV.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Porsche and Audi are selling 3x more vehicles than the I-Pace at a higher price .. so price isn't the issue. I also don't see many deals on the I-Pace, so I suspect they are selling all they make.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sad news to read about the XJ being axed. Maybe the chunkier Land Rovers and Jaguar SUVs are bigger sellers, so their money's being invested there. I really do wish them the best of luck.
I think JLR have been one of the greatest branding successes of the last 20 years. I thought they were down and out (I remember seeing an XJR painted in British telecom yellow at an auction alongside the vans ) but the Range Rover has become one of the most aspirational vehicles ever. Will it make a successful transition to electric . Would love to think so but electric is such a game changer. I drive a Subaru. Nothing sounds quite like it . Once cars go electric there may be quite a few characteristics we lose which attracted us to those brands in the first place. Wait and see.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
JLR produce some of the most polluting vehicles on the UK car market today. They have Steyr produce the excellent i-Pace for them in Austria but it only sells in relatively small numbers due to its excessive price. It was recently announced that Jaguar was to become an "all electric" brand by 2025 but that turned out to mean that they would have one EV version of each Jaguar model and the rest would be hybrids.
Now it has been announced that the new purely EV XJ that was on track for launch at the end of the year and would be built in the UK has been cancelled.
Electric Jaguar XJ plans axed at last minute | Auto Express

Clearly JLR intends to remain wedded to SUVs built abroad.

Tut tut. :mad:
I am quite perplexed by the "going all electric by 2025" thing.
2025 appears to actually mean 2036!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I think JLR have been one of the greatest branding successes of the last 20 years. I thought they were down and out (I remember seeing an XJR painted in British telecom yellow at an auction alongside the vans ) but the Range Rover has become one of the most aspirational vehicles ever. Will it make a successful transition to electric . Would love to think so but electric is such a game changer. I drive a Subaru. Nothing sounds quite like it . Once cars go electric there may be quite a few characteristics we lose which attracted us to those brands in the first place. Wait and see.
I'd guess an all electric Range Rover should translate quite well. Electric drive should preserve much of what makes a RangeRover appealing? TBH I've never owned one, so maybe I don't get it somehow, but to me looks like it should be a good bet.
Your Subaru on the other hand would be less distinct without that flat four, so as you say may struggle to retain its character.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Unfortunately, whether or not it is still true, they have a reputation for expensive cars that aren't very reliable.

If they could get more people into their brand by producing a cheaper small car, I think that it would do them a lot of favours and build trust in the brand. After all, that's what Mercedes and others do and it doesn't affect their higher end sales.

I know that Rover tried that and made a complete hash of it, but that's another story altogether.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I don't get the 'Jack of all trades' approach to transmission, having to compromise space to accommodate an ICE and an electric transmission seems a bit odd. A dedicated EV allows the design to change to give more passenger space not less in the same length car. Be bold and go pure EV on a dedicated platform. Regulations are going to force manufacturers go that way in the next few years. Designing a dedicated platform now will improve their future market position. Sticking with old tech rarely leads to a market leading position. There's a reason Tesla is the most valuable car company in the world even though they currently have modest sales and only occupy a small sector of the market.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,500 Posts
I don't get the 'Jack of all trades' approach to transmission, having to compromise space to accommodate an ICE and an electric transmission seems a bit odd. A dedicated EV allows the design to change to give more passenger space not less in the same length car. Be bold and go pure EV on a dedicated platform. Regulations are going to force manufacturers go that way in the next few years. Designing a dedicated platform now will improve their future market position. Sticking with old tech rarely leads to a market leading position. There's a reason Tesla is the most valuable car company in the world even though they currently have modest sales and only occupy a small sector of the market.
Totally agree.

I guess the reason is perhaps they are an ICE manufacturer first and foremost. So going full electric effectively kills a large and lucrative division of the company.

In those companies that make ICE, walking into board meetings to suggest going full electric is as popular as suggest killing the golden goose.

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Abroad where? They're an Indian owned company, so the UK is abroad. Slapping a Union Flag on the car is the equivalent of the MPs flag off that's going on at the moment every time they appear on the TV.
Most of JLR is in the UK. They may be owned by Tata but the good paying jobs are in England.

Whitley - Powertrain engineering and Global Corporate ...
Gaydon - Principal design and engineering
Solihull - Builds F-PACE, Discovery, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover Velar.
Manchester - Software and IT
Castle Bromwich - XF, XJ, F-TYPE and XE
Wolverhampton - Petrol and Diesel engine plant
Halewood - Evoque, Discovery Sport

Outside the UK but in the EU:

Shannon - Software Engineering: automated driving, electrical architecture, next-generation telematics, cyber security, cloud services and benchmarking.
Budapest - New office. EU Supply chain managment, design.
Nitra, Slovakia - Defender EDIT: and Discovery.

Graz, Austria - Magna Steyr builds the i-Pace under contract.

JLR have several sites in China for the Chinese market.

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
From the press release --

Land Rover to have six pure BEVs by 2025. First due in 2024.

The next generation XJ and XJ BEV both cancled. There may be a new car called XJ.

Jaguar at 0% tail pipe emissions by 2030. Lard Rover at 60% zero emissions by 2030. Jaguar going to pure BEV. Land Rover mix of BEV and Hybrid.

Ramp up hydrogen fuel cell work. First fuel cell protypes on the road within a year. JLR see fuel cells as the best solution for large vehicles.

All plants to stay open.
Castle Bromwich will stop making complete cars.
Solihull to manufacture all Jaguar EVs.

Non manufacturing locations to be reduced. No details, but I know they are spread out.

JLR Press release --> JAGUAR LAND ROVER REIMAGINES THE FUTURE OF MODERN LUXURY BY DESIGN | Land Rover Homepage UK

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Reading between the lines...

I expect an all new BEV XE that is set to compete with Model 3.
Other Jaguar BEV will be crossovers like the iPace and set to compete with other EV crossovers. Probalby a crossover on the same platform as the XE and one on the larger platform.

The Jaguar versions will be BEV only and the Lard Rovers will be BEV or Hybrid. All will be on the new MLA and ELA platforms.

Throwing money at hydrogen may be the end of JLR.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nitra, Slovakia - Defender

Graz, Austia - Magna Styr builds the i-Pace under contract.
Some corrections:
  • Both the Discovery and Defender are built at Nitra
  • Steyr, not Styr.
  • Austria

I like your neologism 'Lard Rover'. The new Defender is a hideous monstrosity.

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Thanks. I should proof read before hitting post.

Oddly JLR still list Solihull as building Discovery --- I thought maybe they moved it back there when the Defender went to Nitra.

They need to update the website for Solihull . Two years should have been enough time :)

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
The new Defender is a hideous monstrosity.
Of the English cars we've owned, the 110 Hardtop is by far my favourite.

I am glad we sold it but I constantly miss having it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Of the English cars we've owned, the 110 Hardtop is by far my favourite.
The previous Defenders were well proportioned and were/are good for pootling around a farm.

The new Defender represents what Land Rover has become: Catering to their clientele of various breeds of the nouveau-riche: footballers, reality TV stars (see their product placement in the new celebs go dating series), etc.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts