Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Can anyone help please?
My wife's mentioned the charge lead getting more difficult to remove lately on our 2014 Electron & this morning it has stuck firm!
I've pushed, wriggled & pulled it for some time but without success. Now (after turning off the power at the board) I've dismantled the handle/grip section and freed the release tag (which I've examined in the past & still seemed to be activating freely this morning) but the actual central barrel piece remains jammed solid.
Is there something else that holds the charger in place, maybe a solenoid that I can get to...?!? any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi, Can anyone help please?
My wife's mentioned the charge lead getting more difficult to remove lately on our 2014 Electron & this morning it has stuck firm!
I've pushed, wriggled & pulled it for some time but without success. Now (after turning off the power at the board) I've dismantled the handle/grip section and freed the release tag (which I've examined in the past & still seemed to be activating freely this morning) but the actual central barrel piece remains jammed solid.
Is there something else that holds the charger in place, maybe a solenoid that I can get to...?!? any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks
Andy
I had the same.
I photographed it and posted it on here.
I will see if I can find it.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,670 Posts
Yes, search is lost. It is terrible.

Go to google or yahoo and type in "site:speakev.com {AAA}".

It sounds like it is the lead, not the car. I am having difficulty understanding what is a 'central barrel piece'.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, bit of a delay getting back on the site! but thanks Will and also for your Q. Donald, but I managed to free the charge lead with the help of some WD40.
However, yesterday ( 9 mnths later!) I had the same issue which only freed after a day's worth of WD40 soak. This time I can see there's been some severe heat on the top r/h contact on the male section, which has distorted the insulating plastic around the contact...and subsequently caused the same scorching to the female connection on the wing of the car.
My nearest Ampera dealer 'GoVauxhall' 40m away as usual have no idea so want me to book in for some costly 'diagnostics' before they'll commit to even answering whether it'll be covered under warranty.
Would value any thoughts on what may have happened, please, as I'm not an auto electrician..?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Eeek!

You are going to need a new tethered lead on the wall EVSE (approx £100 new) and a new charge port on the car £?

The charge port is covered by the 8 year Voltec warranty, though this depends on whether the wall EVSE gets blamed or not.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Is that lead the original Vauxhall one? If not I suspect that they may try to avoid the issue and blame the lead. Has the car end of the lead been left in the water at some point?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eeek!

You are going to need a new tethered lead on the wall EVSE (approx £100 new) and a new charge port on the car £?

The charge port is covered by the 8 year Voltec warranty, though this depends on whether the wall EVSE gets blamed or not.
Thanks for your comment Roger; the car's booked in with the dealer tomorrow so I'll have the 'good news' (!) on the cost sometime next week I suspect. The charge point was installed by Polar/BG in Nov or Dec 2014...and I think the plug section may have subsequently been replaced due to a fault a year or two later but will have to check that.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This looks like water into the lead, corrosion, and followed by 'thermal problems'.
The lead is always hanging in its cradle when not plugged in to the car Donald, but you may be right about water ingress starting teh problem...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is that lead the original Vauxhall one? If not I suspect that they may try to avoid the issue and blame the lead. Has the car end of the lead been left in the water at some point?
No doubt they'll try to wriggle out of any liability - but as I posted a moment ago the lead is always hanging in its cradle - never "left" in any water other than the usual rainfall...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Thanks for your comment Roger; the car's booked in with the dealer tomorrow so I'll have the 'good news' (!) on the cost sometime next week I suspect. The charge point was installed by Polar/BG in Nov or Dec 2014...and I think the plug section may have subsequently been replaced due to a fault a year or two later but will have to check that.
A quick Google shows the cost of the port itself being about $100 in the US. Changing it is pretty easy; takes about 15-20 mins. I've done it myself while troubleshooting an error message (turned out not to be the charge port so I reinstalled the original). The HV battery must be disconnected first though. I can't imagine a dealer would charge more than an hour's labour.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
A quick Google shows the cost of the port itself being about $100 in the US.
I can't imagine a dealer would charge more than an hour's labour.
Let's hope that it ends up being relatively inexpensive. You'll also need a new tethered lead which are relatively inexpensive on eBay.

the lead is always hanging in its cradle - never "left" in any water other than the usual rainfall...
If as I would presume the problem was started by the tethered lead on the charge point being substandard then it'll be hard to get Vauxhall to accept any responsibility.

The charge point was installed by Polar/BG in Nov or Dec 2014...and I think the plug section may have subsequently been replaced due to a fault a year or two later
Interesting choice of language - was it installed before you lived at the property? If so the damage could have been initiated during the previous ownership as they may not have been so assiduous in keeping the plug engaged in the socket when not in use?

·
Registered
637 Posts
It looks like the cable and port are not maintenance free,i'll be giving my pins a good clean with some contact cleaner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let's hope that it ends up being relatively inexpensive. You'll also need a new tethered lead which are relatively inexpensive on eBay.

If as I would presume the problem was started by the tethered lead on the charge point being substandard then it'll be hard to get Vauxhall to accept any responsibility.

Interesting choice of language - was it installed before you lived at the property? If so the damage could have been initiated during the previous ownership as they may not have been so assiduous in keeping the plug engaged in the socket when not in use?
No, I had it installed, just that my memory fails me slightly on what exactly the issue was we had at the start, but pretty sure we replaced the trigger rather than the whole lead for some reason and it was from the internet not Vauxhall...
Many thanks for everyone's comments - feel more optimistic now that the repair costs shouldn't be too high.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A quick Google shows the cost of the port itself being about $100 in the US. Changing it is pretty easy; takes about 15-20 mins. I've done it myself while troubleshooting an error message (turned out not to be the charge port so I reinstalled the original). The HV battery must be disconnected first though. I can't imagine a dealer would charge more than an hour's labour.
Any idea if the 8yr warranty could be invalidated if the port were changed by a non-Vauxhall dealer..? i will check anyway but in case you already know..?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts