Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Jan2015 reg - likely 90% range , 100 miles ?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  6652 
#1 ·
Looking at a Jan2015 model (115ps) with about 29k on the odometer
If I charged it to full and drove until fuel gauge needle just touching the start of the red --- 100miles in summer ?
And is that about 10miles left in the tank to get to a charge point ?

In the advert for it I can see the needle is currently about 2/3rd full and it's showing 56 on the GOM
(mind you the outside temp is showing on a display as 24deg so it wasn't photographed last week in the cold .... )
Thanks

#2 ·
The GOM mostly just reflects how it’s been driven recently, with a bit of shaping for outside temp.

I’m not familiar with the 1st gen e-Golf, but if it’s as efficient as the 35.8 kWh car, over 4 miles per kWh should be easily achievable.

Going to work last week in the warm weather I got 4.9 miles per kWh, giving a theoretical range of 150 miles, but I always plan on 125 miles being achievable from full.

For summer in the smaller battery model, I’d work on 4 x useable battery capacity less a bit to calculate your range. I’d make that closer to 80 miles range given a 20.5 kWh useable battery.

Drive quicker and/or get caught in the rain and it might even be lower.

I’m just being deliberately pessimistic here, it avoids disappointment.

#3 · (Edited)
I'd agree with @Tooks on this. You are unlikely to achieve 100 miles with 10 miles reserve from only 20.5 kWh. To do so requires about 5.5 miles/kWh which is achievable in warm weather driving conservatively, but will be arse tighteningly risky on a cold, dark, windy and wet night.
In the advert for it I can see the needle is currently about 2/3rd full and it's showing 56 on the GOM
Whilst no fan of any GOM, it sounds about right.

#4 ·
I would say it depends on what driving, steady 70 on the motorway probably not A road and super careful perhaps but realistically you would be better assuming 85 miles, just do a quick few minutes charge part way. however if it's a daily commute it may not be the right car.

That said it's a fantastic car with great equipment and if you can't stretch to the price of a 2017 longer range model and they are not asking too much it's a fab drive. I notice AutoTrader has a 2015 with 40,000 miles with electrically heated seats for £14,500.

#5 ·
I notice AutoTrader has a 2015 with 40,000 miles with electrically heated seats for £14,500.
Bear in mind that whilst without the badge cache, a LEAF 30 is 25% less money with a genuine 100+ miles range.

#7 ·
This was my extensive test done over 1 week commute on 18" wheels

#9 ·
To clarify my 100+ miles range claim for a LEAF30, that is being driven conservatively. If you want to drive at ICE motorway speeds it will be a LOT less. I totally understand Darren's friends experience of closer to 70 miles.

There's another thread on that elsewhere

Honest 30kw Leaf Tekna Range

Reactions: buck eejit
#11 ·
So based on @buck eejit 's trip with a range of 112 miles the earlier car would be 72 miles.
Would I be correct though in recalling that the Golf has some headroom in its use of the battery meaning that it will not initially appear to degrade as quickly as say a LEAF? FWIW our two '64 LEAF24s have dropped to 19 kWh from their nominal 22.5 when new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.