Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a Jan2015 model (115ps) with about 29k on the odometer
If I charged it to full and drove until fuel gauge needle just touching the start of the red --- 100miles in summer ?
And is that about 10miles left in the tank to get to a charge point ?

In the advert for it I can see the needle is currently about 2/3rd full and it's showing 56 on the GOM
(mind you the outside temp is showing on a display as 24deg so it wasn't photographed last week in the cold .... )
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
The GOM mostly just reflects how it’s been driven recently, with a bit of shaping for outside temp.

I’m not familiar with the 1st gen e-Golf, but if it’s as efficient as the 35.8 kWh car, over 4 miles per kWh should be easily achievable.

Going to work last week in the warm weather I got 4.9 miles per kWh, giving a theoretical range of 150 miles, but I always plan on 125 miles being achievable from full.

For summer in the smaller battery model, I’d work on 4 x useable battery capacity less a bit to calculate your range. I’d make that closer to 80 miles range given a 20.5 kWh useable battery.

Drive quicker and/or get caught in the rain and it might even be lower.

I’m just being deliberately pessimistic here, it avoids disappointment.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I'd agree with @Tooks on this. You are unlikely to achieve 100 miles with 10 miles reserve from only 20.5 kWh. To do so requires about 5.5 miles/kWh which is achievable in warm weather driving conservatively, but will be arse tighteningly risky on a cold, dark, windy and wet night.
In the advert for it I can see the needle is currently about 2/3rd full and it's showing 56 on the GOM
Whilst no fan of any GOM, it sounds about right.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would say it depends on what driving, steady 70 on the motorway probably not A road and super careful perhaps but realistically you would be better assuming 85 miles, just do a quick few minutes charge part way. however if it's a daily commute it may not be the right car.

That said it's a fantastic car with great equipment and if you can't stretch to the price of a 2017 longer range model and they are not asking too much it's a fab drive. I notice AutoTrader has a 2015 with 40,000 miles with electrically heated seats for £14,500.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I notice AutoTrader has a 2015 with 40,000 miles with electrically heated seats for £14,500.
Bear in mind that whilst without the badge cache, a LEAF 30 is 25% less money with a genuine 100+ miles range.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Bear in mind that whilst without the badge cache, a LEAF 30 is 25% less money with a genuine 100+ miles range.
My friend with an L30 says he only gets 75-80 miles in winter from his driving at M/way speeds. Of course, wind direction can play a massive difference when you drive at 70. If its a headwind along with rain-soaked roads and below 5deg temps you are going to see closer too 70 miles. (what he tells me)

He drives to Belfast every day but has workplace charging. (120 mile round trip) I did the same trip in my 2019 golf and managed 108 (with 4 remaining) at a steady 70 with the heat on @21 outside temps where 4-5deg roads were wet but not raining at the time.

·
Registered
740 Posts
This was my extensive test done over 1 week commute on 18" wheels

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I did the same trip in my 2019 golf and managed 108 (with 4 remaining) at a steady 70 with the heat on @21 outside temps where 4-5deg roads were wet but not raining at the time.
I'm quite happy to agree with your point that a 2019 e-Golf has a better range than a LEAF30 being treated in the same way. That is partly due to the greater accessible energy in the battery - 33.5 kWh against 27.5 kWh when new, let alone with a degraded battery in the older LEAF. I could argue that yours should be compared to a 2019 LEAF which would have 37.5 kWh, but it's not relevant to someone buying a car for £14.5k as even in the current market neither are available at that price.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
To clarify my 100+ miles range claim for a LEAF30, that is being driven conservatively. If you want to drive at ICE motorway speeds it will be a LOT less. I totally understand Darren's friends experience of closer to 70 miles.

There's another thread on that elsewhere

Honest 30kw Leaf Tekna Range

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Useable battery on the 2019 e-Golf is 32 kWh, but on the 1st Gen model the OP mentioned useable is only 20.5 kWh.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
So based on @buck eejit 's trip with a range of 112 miles the earlier car would be 72 miles.
Would I be correct though in recalling that the Golf has some headroom in its use of the battery meaning that it will not initially appear to degrade as quickly as say a LEAF? FWIW our two '64 LEAF24s have dropped to 19 kWh from their nominal 22.5 when new.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
So based on @buck eejit 's trip with a range of 112 miles the earlier car would be 72 miles.
Would I be correct though in recalling that the Golf has some headroom in its use of the battery meaning that it will not initially appear to degrade as quickly as say a LEAF? FWIW our two '64 LEAF24s have dropped to 19 kWh from their nominal 22.5 when new.
I think they’re reasonable assumptions.

For me, unless you’re driving like a saint, the Mk1 e-Golf is an 80 mile car, and probably less if the weather is cold/bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts