Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pod Point installed in my local Tesco less than a mile from my home so charge-ups are free at the moment albeit I have to wait over 2hrs for a full charge.
I'm thinking ahead for when lock-down is lifted & we can go away & holiday in the UK again.
Our GTEs have a low 30 mile electric range so I'm asking, apart from Pod Point, where would you recommend to charge while on a long journey and what app etc is required?
I'm a new owner & have only tried Pod Point.
Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn’t worry too much about charging when going on long journeys and holidays.You have a very capable engine and a recuperation system that will help improve consumption. Apparently you should be able to do over 40 mpg which is better than a lot of cars out there. If you stay in a hotel with a free or cheap charger that’s a plus but many chargers can be quite expensive so not that cost effective. Not had my GTE long and the longest journeys I have done was a couple of 95 mile trips. On one I averaged over 60 mpg and on the other over 70 mpg.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,529 Posts
Yes, there is not much point in charging when away from home. I can see only two possible scenarios:
  • destination charging, you are parked for a while;
  • and it is free.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
As per the other replies - I don't bother with charging on the journey, but use the zap map app to find destination chargers where I am on holiday.

EG when we went on holiday last summer I charged at a local Tesco whilst we got a shop in (free), and also charged at a National Trust property we visited that had a free charger.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm the same as Chris. Once I found a hotel that had EV charging but I didn't realise it was a 43kW ultracharger. I felt bad blocking it for 2 hours so left a note on my windscreen and then Polar sent me a £10 fee for overstaying. So... yeah. It's a plug in hybrid, enjoy it for the hybrid as well as the electric. A great bridge to pure EV when you'll be able to use all of the EV chargers out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts