Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
10,016 Posts
I didn’t know JD Power was still a thing?!

What’s it telling us then?

The spread from top to bottom is 1.45 problems per car for Kia vs 2.84 for Land Rover?

Or, most cars are good but the occasional lemon spoils the stats?

Or, that Tesla aren’t included but if they were they’d be number one, absolutely yes siree, cast iron, no question etc 😉😂

What do they class as a ‘problem’ by the way, anybody know?

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
I have to say that Landrover have been bottom of every reliability survey I have seen for years. I don't think that this is anti British propaganda.

Why are Tesla omitted I wonder?
But it's very fashionable in US motoring circles to laugh at Landrover reliability: a bit like UK used to laugh at BL.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
35,529 Posts
The thing I find utterly staggering, still, is that here is a company prepared to offer 7 year warranty (it is 10 year warranty in the US to the first owner) and ... as if by magic and surely not at all a related thing (like, they make their cars better and to last, or something? nah, surely not) ... their products are the most dependable.

And yet, the lack of offer of a 7/10 year warranty is no bar to people buying other brands.

Ergo, dependability is actually a low factor in purchasing decision.

Yeah, I don't get it either, but the data says it out loud.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Sometimes other factors are at play in people's leasing decisions: eg SIL desparate to fit in with local "gentry" and thinks that a Landrover is a good look. Also, can't see that William and Kate are going to drive around Carribbean islands in an open topped Kia.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
10,016 Posts
The thing I find utterly staggering, still, is that here is a company prepared to offer 7 year warranty (it is 10 year warranty in the US to the first owner) and ... as if by magic and surely not at all a related thing (like, they make their cars better and to last, or something? nah, surely not) ... their products are the most dependable.

And yet, the lack of offer of a 7/10 year warranty is no bar to people buying other brands.

Ergo, dependability is actually a low factor in purchasing decision.

Yeah, I don't get it either, but the data says it out loud.
Back when Kia and Hyundai were struggling to break into the UK market, the 5/7 year warranty thing tipped people who were unsure about the ‘quality’ of a Korean built car into a purchase.

Certainly that was the case with my late Mother, she purchased her first Kia about 15 years ago, and my step father still buys and drives them now. Funnily enough, they haven’t kept one longer than 5 years so have been unable to test the warranty beyond 3 or 4 years.

I had a 5 year warranty on my Golf GTE, 3 years factory and then extended for 2 more years at £220 a year.

Is a warranty different because you buy the later years at the 3 year point rather than up front?

Not arguing that Kia might build a better car than VW, but length of warranty doesn’t determine quality really.

So, has anybody found what a ‘problem’ is in JD Power land? I mean an EML or blown headlight is generally much less serious than a gearbox or engine failure.

There’s also the expectation thing, Skoda generally do better than VW in reliability surveys here in the UK, despite the cars underpinnings being the same and the parts coming from the same second and third tier suppliers. Does customer expectation come into it at all? There are some things that people on here take cars back to the garage for, but I wouldn’t.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Back when Kia and Hyundai were struggling to break into the UK market, the 5/7 year warranty thing tipped people who were unsure about the ‘quality’ of a Korean built car into a purchase.

Certainly that was the case with my late Mother, she purchased her first Kia about 15 years ago, and my step father still buys and drives them now. Funnily enough, they haven’t kept one longer than 5 years so have been unable to test the warranty beyond 3 or 4 years.

I had a 5 year warranty on my Golf GTE, 3 years factory and then extended for 2 more years at £220 a year.

Is a warranty different because you buy the later years at the 3 year point rather than up front?

Not arguing that Kia might build a better car than VW, but length of warranty doesn’t determine quality really.

So, has anybody found what a ‘problem’ is in JD Power land? I mean an EML or blown headlight is generally much less serious than a gearbox or engine failure.

There’s also the expectation thing, Skoda generally do better than VW in reliability surveys here in the UK, despite the cars underpinnings being the same and the parts coming from the same second and third tier suppliers. Does customer expectation come into it at all? There are some things that people on here take cars back to the garage for, but I wouldn’t.
On various US sites, the Landrover thing seems to be caused by hapless dealers not fixing minor problems in the first visit. Plus hangover from Range Rovers with their failed air suspensions.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts

I remember buying new cars when it was strictly one year. On day 366, the selling dealer would look you in the eye and explain what needed replacing.

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS RWD
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's customer satisfaction survey, not a technical analysis, so needs to be tempered with expectations vs reality - problems are anything the surveyee (not a word!) wants to regard as one.

You have to be a subscribed business to see the details.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I remember Toyota changing their warranty from 3 to 5 years coincided with a string or recall issues and may well have been geared to rebuilding trust. The cars all jumped in price though so I suspect the extra warranty was built into the price

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
35,529 Posts
I remember Toyota changing their warranty from 3 to 5 years coincided with a string or recall issues and may well have been geared to rebuilding trust. The cars all jumped in price though so I suspect the extra warranty was built into the price
Maybe they were just putting money into making better cars?

There's a guy who makes videos about engines and such, this one hits on this subject;-

Are OLD CARS more RELIABLE? Planned obsolescence and SUSTAINABILITY in the AUTO INDUSTRY - YouTube

He also makes a prediction about EV longevity towards the end of the video and explains/justifies that POV.

[FWIW, it isn't me, even though in this video he says exactly what I usually say about these things!! ;) ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts