Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was at Renault getting somethings sorted,a lady was sitting next to me why I waited, me and her started talking and she said she was just looking for a little run around to do the school runs, so she said she was looking at the 1L Clio, there was a zoe leaflet on the table, she picked it up and said these are a joke,I saw how crap they are on top gear, I told her that was a leaf and top gear was an entertainment show,and it was all lies, she said there Bad for the environment as top gear said the land fills will be full of old battery's in 5 years, I tried to tell her The truth, and she replied more fool you.

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
Today I was at Renault getting somethings sorted,a lady was sitting next to me why I waited, me and her started talking and she said she was just looking for a little run around to do the school runs, so she said she was looking at the 1L Clio, there was a zoe leaflet on the table, she picked it up and said these are a joke,I saw how crap they are on top gear, I told her that was a leaf and top gear was an entertainment show,and it was all lies, she said there Bad for the environment as top gear said the land fills will be full of old battery's in 5 years, I tried to tell her The truth, and she replied more fool you.

Been there done that, head sore from rapid repeated contact with wall:D

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
That's a tricky one. I had a similarly frustrating conversation last week. Guy at work, in a well paid technical role, telling me they'll never work and he's done the maths etc. His maths included a battery replacement at 5 years, since the warranty ends then. I'm showing him, my car is 3 years old, 25k miles, and about 94% of new capacity. Nope, he needs a new battery in 5 years. He lives about 15 miles away from work....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
May has the i3 now,Hammond fancies a Tesla..what's next..? Clarkson liked that electric Merc,though I seem to recall him having an issue with the amount of petrol the EV premium would pay for..:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
May has the i3 now,Hammond fancies a Tesla..what's next..?:rolleyes:
Clarkson will buy the outlander, tow a caravan with it for a bit and then "oh no, what a shame, the batteries have set on fire and burned down my lovely caravan"

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Clarkson is an entertainer first and foremost. His style is very similar to Chris Moyles. Loud and brash and on the surface, quick witted; but when challenged to any serious debate will resort to siiliness or just being plain obtuse. It's difficult to counteract that; Hammond tries, but can't really compete. Of the three, I find May the most balanced and the funniest....but he doesn't really share the same 'audience' as the others. I prefer his solo programmes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
top gear was an entertainment show
I think of it as a comedy show. It helps me deal with it. Sometimes I even watch it a little and chuckle at the pratfalls! Then I realise the joke is on me and they are laughing all the way to the bank. Then I leave it alone.:(

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you want to experience first-hand the damage that Clarkson does, ride a bike.
I do. And regularly get grief from idiots yelling at me as they go past.
But what pisses me off more is the idiots that deliberately pull in to the kerb as I slowly undertake them as they're queued up at a roundabout.
Actually, what pisses me off more is when they try to crash into me as I go around a roundabout because they're too busy fiddling with the radio or yakking on the phone.
No wait, what really pisses me off is my local MP telling me I shouldn't be riding on the road because I live in Milton Keynes and we have a fantastic 'Red Way' cycle route system.

FFS. I wonder if he's actually tried commuting on the Red Way? I've been cycling to work for five years and I try it occasionally, and it more than doubles my commute time, and puts me in more danger than the grid roads...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There was a court case a few years ago in which a guy called Daniel Cadden was prosecuted by police for riding his bike on the road. He was doing about 30 mph in a 40 limit when three car drivers decided to overtake him, crossing the double white line as they did so. Rather than prosecute the drivers for breaking the law they stopped him and did him for inconsiderate cycling because there was a cycle path, albeit covered in broken glass and dogshit, which ran alongside the road. The judge was a complete cretin named Bruce Morgan, the same guy who acquitted two police officers for doing 159mph in a 30 limit when they were just testing a new car.

Of course, the CTC appealed on Cadden's behalf and he was acquitted, with no case to answer, because he was not breaking the law. You might like to cite that case when contacting your MP. It's well documented on line.

I remember Daniel Cadden being subject to a very hostile interview by the R5 Live Drive bozo - Nicky Campbell? - and for someone with no specific media training he gave a brilliant account of himself.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
@leave please dont use that term for those with learning difficulties, one of my best friends has a little girl with Down syndrome and every time he hears that word it destroys him. Thx for the consideration

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
WRT Clarkson and Hammond they have hit on a successful formula, they are not going to radically change that while they are among the highest earners at the BBC. I agree with @Brooktop May does seem to be the sensible one but be aware he is an entertainer just like the other two.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
No wait, what really pisses me off is my local MP telling me I shouldn't be riding on the road because I live in Milton Keynes and we have a fantastic 'Red Way' cycle route system.

FFS. I wonder if he's actually tried commuting on the Red Way? I've been cycling to work for five years and I try it occasionally, and it more than doubles my commute time, and puts me in more danger than the grid roads...
I've been using the redway and not the roads for the best part of 30 years, would only chose the roads if desperate, redway is so much safer and more sensible... and easy to use. Forget pulling away at a roundabout on my bike!

Also, edited post to remove offensive term as highlighted above by @jontracey

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've been using the redway and not the roads for the best part of 30 years, would only chose the roads if desperate, redway is so much safer and more sensible... and easy to use. Forget pulling away at a roundabout on my bike!

Also, edited post to remove offensive term as highlighted above by @jontracey
I wouldn't cycle on the roads in MK if you paid me. Come to that, I avoid cycling on roads whenever possible: there's only ever going to be one loser in a cycle-car collision.
MK's Redways may not be perfect, but they are pretty damn good compared to most towns' cycle infrastructure.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I wouldn't cycle on the roads in MK if you paid me. Come to that, I avoid cycling on roads whenever possible: there's only ever going to be one loser in a cycle-car collision.
MK's Redways may not be perfect, but they are pretty damn good compared to most towns' cycle infrastructure.
Come try the cycle lanes in Cambridge where potholes are so bit that entire civilisations have grown up in the bottom of them,cut off from the world above

·
Registered
307 Posts
I prefer the roads to the redways. You need to develop your confidence and cycle assertively and make sure you take the whole lane on making turns or at roundabouts. Take the same line as you would in a car. Come and join the local cycling clubs on a Sat am run.

Redways are awful for no visibility when coming up to road junctions along with having to stop every time and there's a fair amount of broken glass around. Remember that you're also supposed to be going slower than 15 mph on them...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I prefer the roads to the redways. You need to develop your confidence and cycle assertively and make sure you take the whole lane on making turns or at roundabouts. Take the same line as you would in a car. Come and join the local cycling clubs on a Sat am run.

Redways are awful for no visibility when coming up to road junctions along with having to stop every time and there's a fair amount of broken glass around. Remember that you're also supposed to be going slower than 15 mph on them...
Bicycles are not subject to speed limits because they don't have to be fitted with speedos (or vice versa) and can only be charged with "cycling furiously" (which is one I have always wanted to have on my record :)!)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts