Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Jeremy Clarkson review, so as usual has its good parts and then goes downhill rapidly...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/…/the-clarkson-review-jaguar-i-p…

A few years ago the people at Jaguar got it into their heads that they wanted to part company with their rather caddish customer base, with its gin and tonics and dodgy import-export ventures. So Jaguar stopped making comfortable, quiet and pretty cars and concentrated on small, shouty sports saloons.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It was very positive. His only negative points were aggressive regenerative braking (read the manual Jeremy), his lack of home charging (his problem) and lack of charging infrastructure (everyone’s problem). I thought it was fair?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It was very positive. His only negative points were aggressive regenerative braking (read the manual Jeremy), his lack of home charging (his problem) and lack of charging infrastructure (everyone’s problem). I thought it was fair?
Lack of charging infrastructure? For a car with that range? What a consignment of geriatric shoemakers.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Subscription only
I actually posted a copy of the text but it was removed by admin as presumably it’s copyright. Clarkson has done a couple of EV reviews in last few months and they have actually been very positive, but he, like others points out the infrastructure is still a hotch potch affair and needs a big simplification shakeup.

It is subscription only, but it’s free, so you can just sign up then go to preferences and remove all the spam emails.

·
Registered
368 Posts
One of his problems was that, charging the car at home on a 3-pin socket, it tripped the house's breakers.

My electrical knowledge is basically zero, but my dad's Leaf 40 is regularly charged from the mains with no problems. It's a new house whereas presumably Clarkson's is an old one, is that likely to be the difference?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of his problems was that, charging the car at home on a 3-pin socket, it tripped the house's breakers.

My electrical knowledge is basically zero, but my dad's Leaf 40 is regularly charged from the mains with no problems. It's a new house whereas presumably Clarkson's is an old one, is that likely to be the difference?
Yep, older properties often have a lower main rated fuse of I think 80A, whereas newer properties have 100A. It probably tripped cos he had too many other things running, like shower, cooker, hob, etc.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
It was very positive. His only negative points were aggressive regenerative braking (read the manual Jeremy)
Umm, he said that he turned on (high) regeneration on purpose when he was running short of range, so he clearly knows how to turn it off as he had it off (or on a low setting) prior to that. Sounds like he just doesn't like the feel of high lift-off regeneration - it's not everybody's cup of tea. He describes it as "driving into a pit of glue", which is pretty apt actually. :) I prefer the feel of regen divided between accelerator pedal and initial brake pedal movement and I suspect many drivers may be the same.

I thought he was surprisingly positive about the overall driving experience (pit of glue with max regen aside) and it was the range and charging he was mostly unhappy about.

He complained that the claimed range is 300 miles yet the range remaining was going down a lot faster than the miles travelled. Which is a legitimate complaint - I think we all know that the actual range of the i-Pace doesn't live up anywhere near the WLTP claims (about 67% on some independent tests, worse than all other WLTP rated EV's relative to their claimed range) so I can't argue his complaint there.

Not sure what's going on when he says he plugged it into his friends house's AC (presumably with a granny charger) and only got 29 miles of range added in 8 hours. That doesn't seem right.

Even if you assume 2kW for granny charging, that's 16kWh x 4 miles/kWh = 64 miles range added. So either he was driving like a complete idiot the day before pulling the car down to about 2 miles/kWh average or something went wrong with the charging...

Embellished as all his reviews are but apart from the complaint about it blowing the circuit breaker in his house (get your wiring checked out Jeremy!!) all his other complaints actually had a basis in fact, for once.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
As the granny cable would only pull around 10A, either he was using it on an external socket running off old wiring on his extended estate, or it was on a shared ring main that had a kettle and hair dryer running at the same time!

More likely is that he made it up as I have used a granny cable for years and never tripped a breaker.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
As the granny cable would only pull around 10A, either he was using it on an external socket running off old wiring on his extended estate, or it was on a shared ring main that had a kettle and hair dryer running at the same time!

More likely is that he made it up as I have used a granny cable for years and never tripped a breaker.
No need to make it up.

I have a 100 amp main fuse and circuit breaker, and a relatively small house and I've come fairly close to that limit while charging the car (at only 3.6kW!) and using many other devices at once. (Electric shower, oven, kettle, etc) It was an unusual but un-staged confluence of events on a Saturday morning. My loop monitor was showing about 22kW for a period of time which is about 91 amps. If the car had been capable of 7kW charging it would have been another 16 amps so well over the 100 amp limit, and may have tripped the breaker if it continued for long enough.

Even a house with a 100 amp fuse can rely on diversity of devices to stay under the limit and if you have something like an electric shower (40 amps or 10kW) and an unusual combination of other high power devices in use at once it can be exceeded.

Or on a ring main with a 32 amp circuit breaker it only takes three high power devices on the same ring to blow the breaker - so car, portable electric heater, and a hair drier, kettle or toaster could do it easily.

Which is why EV owners should be encouraged to get proper charge points with a dedicated circuit installed...

·
The best there is at what I do
10,630 Posts
He's a journalist. Likes to get a rise. Great for a laugh but no-one should pay any attention to him otherwise.
I really don't understand why anyone gives any credence to anything he says about cars,he has consistently demonstrated that he has no technical ability whatsoever, he probably has to get someone to change light bulbs for him.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm just glad he's not on Top Gear anymore. That show did definitely make him influential, but thankfully the number of people willing to shell out for a Prime subscription or pick up regular copies of the Sunday Times (which somehow is considerably more expensive than Prime) is in the minority.

Maybe I should write in and say it's unprofessional for a millionaire car reviewer not to have a wallbox... they do like publishing complaints in the Times.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Clarkson’s house in Oxfordshire is new. I clearly remember him dynamiting his old one on an oh so funny episode of something he was involved in a couple of years ago. So what he probably did was sling an old unsuitable extension lead out of a window and trip an RCD. He is extremely unlikely to have installed any proper EVSE. Something that was clearly lost on Jaguar, who should have known better.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It may be new, but is it not rented.... since his divorce. I seem to recall an article about choice of finishes for his new build that he is specifying now, as a result of the old new one going in the settlement.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,630 Posts
It may be new, but is it not rented.... since his divorce. I seem to recall an article about choice of finishes for his new build that he is specifying now, as a result of the old new one going in the settlement.
He got planning permission about 5 or 6 years ago to demolish Curdle Hill Farm near Chadlington, don't think it ever went ahead but the new planning permissions looks to be the same place.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5958797/Jeremy-Clarkson-building-Cotswolds-mansion-replace-cottage-BLEW-Grand-Tour.html

He's not very popular in Chipping Norton, house looks nice though, I wish I had a house with a five car garage.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think Jeremy Clarkson probably tripped the RCD in his house when he plugged the I-Pace in. When I test drove the I-Pace I plugged it in the Zappi in my garage and it immediately tripped the RCD in the house. The granny plug did the same. Our E-tron and i3 had never caused this problem. I have had the I-Pace now for six weeks and it trips the RCD at unpredictable intervals.
Got an electrician in today and his take is that the I-Pace has a small earth leak probably less than the 30 mA needed to trigger the RCD by itself but when other household appliances are also in use it leads to a cumulative leak to the RCD of over 30 mA, then it trips and also explains why the tripping is intermittent. There is a separate breaker in the garage but it never trips suggesting that the I-Pace, by itself, isn't the issue.
He says it is normal practice for the garage of a house to be wired via the RCD in the main box. The solution, of course, was to give the garage its own fuse in the main board separate from the RCD, so hopefully that will solve the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts