Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a lovely informative piece of journalism from Mr Clarkson, not!!!

People think Top Gear and Clarkson provide a factual programme providing insight to the world of motoring but actually it is simply light entertainment. But people don't see it, they think Clarkson says something so it must be true!!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Inevitable the mainstream press focus on the 12 hour journey time and I hope that in future we think a little more about the marketing message... Model S and Supercharger is what we need to challenge mainstream perceptions on this drive IMO.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Flippin 'eck Kevin, do you have 'Model S' and 'Supercharger' as a keyboard shortcut? :eek:
No but I think we need to be a little smarter here... if we are complaining about the mainstream press then we need to think about the image we are presenting... ~400 miles in just under 14 hours will not go down well with most people, but an 8 hour trip will :)

If you have any doubts then read what's happening in the US now;

http://speakev.com/threads/teslas-cannonball-run.1115/

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
But how many Superchargers will we get? For a large part of the population they'll be inaccessible!
Why do you imagine Tesla would handicap their Model S sales when they have such a successful strategy? The issue for Tesla is manpower not cash or intent. Superchargers are in the UK (I've seen one) and we will have an effective network this year. If you have the skills and desire then Tesla are recruiting.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Flippin 'eck Kevin, do you have 'Model S' and 'Supercharger' as a keyboard shortcut? :eek:
I agree - there is something not right here. The whole thrust of Kevin's post have turned strongly to pro-Tesla, anti short-range EV and any EV infrastructure - specifically CHAdeMO.
Kevin - we need to know if you have a commercial interest in the success of Tesla, in UK.
If Mainpine Ltd are developing products for Tesla cars, users whatever - you need to desist from using SpeakEV to promote your interests.
SpeakEV needs to have a no-commercial perspective and to the largest extent possible agnostic about brands and technologies. We want users of this website to get the best of what they have got and/or to make the best choices going forward.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
SpeakEV needs to have a no-commeracil perspective and to the largest extent possible agnostic about brands and technologies.
Not so, but people need to be upfront, and not spammy, that's pretty much it. I'd encourage suppliers and manufacturers to post here, and I'd expect them to be "pro", but not overtly sales/spammy, hence the commercial posting rules.

Too many websites/forums get hung up about commercial interests, but more often than not it's to not upset their own advertising revenue/sponsors, I'm not going down that path of protectionism, I just want openness.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Oh yes, and to get back on subject, Clarkson is a brilliant popularist and wind-up merchant who changes his views as often as his socks who – I believe – once worked as a motoring journalist before becoming a parody of himself and other "car nuts" on BBC2's motoring version of Last of the Summer Wine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yes, and to get back on subject, Clarkson is a brilliant popularist and wind-up merchant who changes his views as often as his socks who – I believe – once worked as a motoring journalist before becoming a parody of himself and other "car nuts" on BBC2's motoring version of Last of the Summer Wine.
Totally agree. Long gone is the Top Gear of the 80's with Noël Edmonds and co providing insight into the world of cars!

Scary really that the BBC only provides one motoring programme ( top gear - which isn't truly informative ) but does provide 101 programmes on cooking and baking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Irrespective of Kevin's commercial interests or not, I do agree with his advice to concentrate on the positives of our electric chariots!

There's no doubt that range will increase and with that times for long journeys will diminish but in the meantime let's celebrate #EV running costs and how they can demolish their ICE powered cousins on a drag strip ;) Smoke that Mr Clarkson!

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
Let's be clear. The focus of the original piece was on the journey being free and that a few extra hours (in reality 3.5 to 4) was a worthwhile trade off. We said 7 necessary charges and two other stops.

At some point the focus was changed and 9 charges was added to the headline.

Clarkson has obviously picked up on this and the discussion around "theft of electricity" that has gone on.

What is not shown in that image is the story he juxtaposed it with.

1391334076897.jpg

·
Banned
558 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Kevin but for dear god stop bloody spamming us over the bloody Tesla!
The media response to the London to Edinburgh trip was completely predictable and to a large extent preventable by using a long range car for the trip.

MO we really need to get a lot smarter about the way we manage the media if we want to see more electric cars.

I'm sorry but I do not believe that ~400 miles in ~14 hours is much of a mainstream story, although challenging the BBC and pushing the 'free' angle was worthwhile.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Let's be clear. The focus of the original piece was on the journey being free and that a few extra hours (in reality 3.5 to 4) was a worthwhile trade off
IMO this is where we get into difficulties... the trip took just under 14 hours and many of us have driven it in an ICE in ~8 hours. IMO we should avoid talking about journey time and focus on cost.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
IMO this is where we get into difficulties... the trip took just under 14 hours and many of us have driven it in an ICE in ~8 hours. IMO we should avoid talking about journey time and focus on cost.
That's exactly what we did do.

Plus you keep talking about this "just under 14 hours". As we have already said, the actual drive and charging time was 12 hours. Had we been familiar with the car (plus not been told that some of the northern legs were nigh-on impossible) it can be done in 11.

The more you repeat this 14 hours line, the more likely it is to show up in the mainstream press. Oh look, it did.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Plus you keep talking about this "just under 14 hours". As we have already said, the actual drive and charging time was 12 hours.
I make the total journey time 13 hours 48 minutes based on what you posted previously;

http://speakev.com/threads/london-to-edinburgh-in-a-day.1019/page-6#post-7265

Either it took this long or it didn't... if I undertake a timed stage in a race it's from the moment I leave until the moment I arrive at the finish... why is your trip different?

This is clearly OT so I've moved the question here

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Let's face it, it doesn't really matter which EV this was undertaken in, the "mainstream" media would have picked at it.

Tesla: Too expensive "could have done it for less in my Fiesta, and in less time".
LEAF: Too slow "could have done it on my push-bike, and in less time"...

The point is the media, or certainly significant members of it, and probably of the wider world too, are anti EV.

They are not anti Nissan, they're not anti Telsa, they're not anti BMW, they're anti EV. They're the stereotypical "ICE-agers", whatever you think your master plan is, they will find an angle, they will find fault.

Did the superior range and performance of the Tesla Roadster stop those jokers at the BBC from pushing it into a garage to demonstrate what "could happen" if it ran of our charge?! Of course it didn't.

They don't demonstrate what could happen if your Aston Martin range of petrol? Why? Because EVs – for whatever reason – scare the bejesus out of them. They don't need a good reason to find an angle, they will take any reason to find an angle.

Unless those of us who really, really like EVs are really, really pro EV, then they'll have the upper hand, always.

Please let's not keep undermining each-others choices and technology, this an EV forum, with the intention of being pro EV... in-fighting sucks and I don't want it here. If I were Clarkson I'd be wetting myself at some of the behaviour in here, and probably at my attempts to keep it on-track.

But I believe we can all share a common ground, otherwise we might as well give up and get back to our petrol cars, because if we cant respect each-other's EV choices, then quite frankly we don't deserve the respect of the wider motoring world, we're screwed.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts