Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go to 05:28...

Misunderstanding that it is only NEW sales that will be banned.

Judging by some of the comments, he is not the only one to think that all petrol car sales will be banned.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Back when DVD players first became available, I was asked in all seriousness 'But... what will I do with all my VHS tapes?'.

I bet someone is already starting an online petition to make the government rethink its policy of banning all petrol cars from the roads in 2030!!!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
More to the point, when did he become James Whale circa 2001?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Back when DVD players first became available, I was asked in all seriousness 'But... what will I do with all my VHS tapes?'.

I bet someone is already starting an online petition to make the government rethink its policy of banning all petrol cars from the roads in 2030!!!
This is very circular, when Jim was last relevant he was making money off Big Break VHS sales. I’ve not watched the video, but have had a couple suggested in my YouTube (need to check my watch timeline to see what has caused that, I think it may have been the odd fringe video I watched around the US election) and the titles alone give me shivers of David Ike-ism for the lad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is Davidson actually ignorant, or is he just trying to appeal to ignorant people? Either way I feel like I've lost a couple of points off my IQ simply by listening to him...

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone care what J D says or thinks
A lot of people do. Like him or not, he has a fan base who clearly think he is wonderful and think he speaks for '75% of the British population' to quote one commenter on that video.

He doesn't 'listen to Lefties' (his words), but it is important for him to be made aware of the facts, not the fiction, rather than just ignore him. The more sceptics that can be converted, the better.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...More worrying Iain Duncan Smith has a strange take on this.
He is not without influence is the Tory Party and I wonder generally if there is a single MP who is clued up on EVs
Your YT link starts in the wrong place. I just wasted several minutes listening to him going on about the other 'thing'.

Correct start is from 01:15...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,855 Posts
Are you saying that we should give up trying to inform people that are difficult to inform then?
That’s a difficult one. There are some people who are uninformable either because they will not engage with you in good faith or because they’re actually perfectly well informed and are playing to a crowd for money.

We’ve seen this a lot recently with Brexit being a particularly good example in the UK. It doesn’t matter how many of a brexiter’s arguments you can immediately prove are nonsense with facts, nothing changes.

all this is precisely why we need government decisions. People will rant, moan and whine (often while referring to others as snowflakes) but ultimately it doesn’t matter. The decision is made, the r&d and tooling money invested, it’s going to happen.

I do think there’s lots of room to tell a positive story. Attempting to counter the negative is wasted energy.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
More worrying Iain Duncan Smith has a strange take on this.
He is not without influence is the Tory Party and I wonder generally if there is a single MP who is clued up on EVs
Not a strange take on it at all, you realise who are large contributors to the Tory party? The oil and gas industry.
Who makes hydrogen? The oil and gas industry.
Who loses money from reduced oil consumption? The oil and gas industry.
Whose industry would lose out if battery electric vehicles are the norm? The oil and gas industry.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Not a strange take on it at all, you realise who are large contributors to the Tory party? The oil and gas industry.
Who makes hydrogen? The oil and gas industry.
Who loses money from reduced oil consumption? The oil and gas industry.
Whose industry would lose out if battery electric vehicles are the norm? The oil and gas industry.
This.
And "this" is why our whole response to global warming has been so slow and awkward. When the history of this time is written (hopefully there will be someone to write it!) it won't reflect well on the moneyed classes and their lackeys.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To be fair, Boris is quite into green technology and climate change issues, and so is the Secretary of State for Transport Grant Shapps.

It's a difficult balancing act, trying to get as green as possible whilst protecting businesses. After all, it is business that provides the structures that finance the public services.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts