Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

321 - 340 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd say "nice", but I've never understood the appeal of private plates. Also aren't they illegal if they don't have the name / address / postcode of the company that made up the number plate? (Sorry to sound like a party pooper!)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
I'd say "nice", but I've never understood the appeal of private plates. Also aren't they illegal if they don't have the name / address / postcode of the company that made up the number plate? (Sorry to sound like a party pooper!)
I've seen loads of folks getting these "trendy" 3D plates, yup technically illegal on current cars. Funny thing is 3D plates are very old fashioned.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
3D gel plates are legal just as pressed metal plates

Correct font, spacing and makers postcode needed to be legal.

You are correct that these are illegal because of the extra space

OC02 PUG would be legal
O C02 PUG is illegal

If correct then the manufacturer would put their postcode on it and request registration documents and ID.

on my smart cars I’ve had

H4LVD (instead of H4 LVD)
and
BR04BUS (instead of BR04 BUS)

both illegal plates

private plates (in my eyes) are just another relatively cheap way of personalising a car :)

some people spend lots of money on a car when buying on things like specific paint, options packs, Europe maps etc

JJ

·
Registered
98 Posts
private plates (in my eyes) are just another relatively cheap way of personalising a car :)

some people spend lots of money on a car when buying on things like specific paint, options packs, Europe maps etc

JJ
Maybe that's why I don't get it - I've never personalised a car! Always gone with the colour that's available, trim that's available, spec that's available etc. It's just a car after all!!

The only things I've ever added to a car are an updated stereo (to add bluetooth and CD/MP3) and a tow bar (strangely satisfying to DIY that job).

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Only a car ;) ooooooh ;)

then why not buy a £500 one haha

I’ve always modified cars - whether it be spotlights, wheels or fluffy dice ;)

Smart Fortwo 600cc turbo
Lowered
Wider wheels with spacers
Twin exhaust
Induction kit
Remapped
Dump valve
Brabus body kit
Vertical wiper conversion
Full audio upgrade
Finished off with a private plate ;)

JJ

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #329

smart ForFour Brabus 1.5 turbo
Remapped to 210bhp
Lowered adjustable suspension
Wide wheels
Stainless exhaust and sports cat
High flow manifold
Forge turbo pipes
Lightened flywheel
Paddle clutch
Etc etc
And a private plate

I’m middle of the toad for modding
Don’t spend lots (that was all over a 10yr period)
But people do like to personalise their cars as they do their house

JJ

·
Registered
98 Posts
LOL, I'm well aware I'm unusual!! It's a mode of transport during which fun can be had, but what the car really looks like is irrelevant to me.

I did have a chrome exhaust fitted to a Fiat Barchetta once, but that was because it was the same price as the spec exhaust because it was an unusual car.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Predicted Range down to 150 miles today after a full charge

but 3 trips and it’d still showing the same

I have been running scheduled pre conditioning every morning (since I worked out how to do it) while unplugged though so it makes sense

JJ

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'm gonna get me some of them there plates.

You are with Octopus, so is it guaranteed No CO2?
The UK grid is never 100% green, but Octopus will only "buy" renewable energy for you, regardless of what you're actually being powered by.

321 - 340 of 371 Posts