Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stats-Nerd alert - but hopefully useful to those considering a Kona, or wondering about a detour to a super-rapid.

Arrived at a super rapid at 23% state of charge --- went up to 76% in the 36mins I was connected.
Took on 40kw in 36mins ( which works out average speed of 66.6 )

Took in 13% in the time it took me to lock the car, walk into the BP-M&S get the cheapest coffee I could and come back out - that was good.

Speed went to 72 within a minute after I plugged in, maxing at around 76.
At 57% it dropped to 57kW speed.
Was it worth it ? To be honest I am not sure -- £16 !!!!! I took in 143 miles, so 11p a mile I think? Ouch .....
But that's 3hours+ of driving after a 36minute recharge stop.

(I had polar instant but it would not trigger charge and on this unit it had bankcard contactless so did that reluctantly.)
I guess I'm a little down at the fact the decent speed really is only on the first 55% of the battery.

IMG_2725.jpeg

·
Registered
394 Posts
I the same for the Niro. Average charge rate from 20 to 80% is around 50 to 60 KW. Depends on the battery temperature. Too hot or too cold reduces the charge rate to protect the battery.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
497 Posts
Speed went to 72 within a minute after I plugged in, maxing at around 76.
At 57% it dropped to 57kW speed.
Was it worth it ? To be honest I am not sure -- £16 !!!!! I took in 143 miles, so 11p a mile I think? Ouch
The question I want to ask is how often are you paying that £16? 95% of my miles are charged overnight at home, and it costs me £1 to £5 max to charge. So what if I have to pay top whack occasionally providing it is convenient, fast, easy and most of all works.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,817 Posts
The question I want to ask is how often are you paying that £16? 95% of my miles are charged overnight at home, and it costs me £1 to £5 max to charge. So what if I have to pay top whack occasionally providing it is convenient, fast, easy and most of all works.
I'm sorry, but you are comparing "apples Vs 🍊". You should be thinking what if I can charge those 5% at £0.20? Instead of £0.39? £8 Vs £16: I think that changes things...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I'm with Andy. I use a rapid charger maybe 5 times per year. Honestly even if it was £1k/kWh, I'd pay it if it was 100% reliable.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,817 Posts
I'm with Andy. I use a rapid charger maybe 5 times per year. Honestly even if it was £1k/kWh, I'd pay it if it was 100% reliable.
I understand, and I agree that if we have to, we would all pay the price.

But I do think that being real about it and understanding the implications, is essential. So now, taking your number we should be comparing £40 Vs £80 per year.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
77 Posts
I took in 143 miles, so 11p a mile I think? Ouch .....
Amazing isn't it all those petrol/diesel drivers out there are paying something like 14p per mile all the time.
Until the price goes up.

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I understand, and I agree that if we have to, we would all pay the price.

But I do think that being real about it and understanding the implications, is essential. So now, taking your number we should be comparing £40 Vs £80 per year.
Yep, and £40 is neither here nor there on a week's holiday when the total petrol/diesel cost would be a few hundred pounds!

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 64kWh Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
42 Posts
I also got 77kW charging on my MY2020 Kona 64kWh today! After trying four different Polar/BPChargemaster chargers all of which were faulty in one way, shape or form I found an Instavolt charger which works in exactly the same way as a "pay at the pump" petrol pump - connect the cable, swipe the card, sit back and wait. This is how charging should be, guys!

Initial charge from 16-34% was at just over 50kW and took about 15 minutes, presumably while the battery got to the correct temperature, then a solid 77kW from 34% to 50% which was enough to get me home with a comfortable safety margin. Total cost from 16%-50% was £9 for 25.7kW in 25 minutes, so not cheap, but not too bad and quite honestly I'm happy to pay a little extra for the "Instavolt experience".

The four Polar chargers were (as, sadly, expected) all awful. One I simply couldn't find even though the app told me I was a couple of metres away from it in the middle of an open-air carpark, one was in the middle of a building site but was still showing as "available", one was just dead, and one looked like it was going to work but after faffing for ages, I finally got the BP Chargemaster app to talk to the post, a few clunks, I thought "at last" - and then it simply cut off and the app wouldn't even reconnect. I tried calling the helpline, but after 20 minutes on hold, I simply got cut off. Polar/Chargemaster/whatever you call yourselves this week, I've given you seven chances to make a first impression, and I will now steer well clear of your "facilities". One lost customer - and from reading these fora, I don't think I'm the only one.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If you're on Twitter, it's good to let them know of your experiences, because they seem to be oblivious to the number of people having problems with their chargers. They just point to the stats of how many successful charges there are, completely missing the number of unsuccessful or aborted attempts.

In any case going to anything other than Instavolt is largely pointless if you can possibly help it - they really are the Ronseal of chargers. They do what they say on the tin!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
373 Posts
In any case going to anything other than Instavolt is largely pointless if you can possibly help it - they really are the Ronseal of chargers. They do what they say on the tin!
Even Instavolt have their issues, and try to hide it. One of the two at Tiverton has had issues for at least a month and it is still showing as available when they couldn't even start it remotely

·
Registered
369 Posts
When I drove my 28 kWh Ioniq, I've had the following issues:
Ecotricity - multiple non starts and calls to unhelp desk. 1 successful charge at first attempt.
Instavolt - several charges with no problems. 1 issue in Bristol - call to help desk - remote start and free vend.
Polar - Supposedly free charging in St David's, Cardiff - app didn't work.
Engenie - Several charges with no problems. 1 issue at Blackpole, Worcester - reset - charged.
Charging in Bath - Forget it! Multistorey always full and other chargers broken.
Shell - Used once, no problem.
BP - On free vend in Wales. Used it twice (even though I didn't need to) No problem.

I wonder if the weather has anything to do with it? You can guarantee that it is always raining when you have charger issues. :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Even Instavolt have their issues, and try to hide it. One of the two at Tiverton has had issues for at least a month and it is still showing as available when they couldn't even start it remotely
At this moment they are both showing in Zapmap as "finished charging yesterday" - suggesting they both worked yesterday.
Is that not true?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
373 Posts
At this moment they are both showing in Zapmap as "finished charging yesterday" - suggesting they both worked yesterday.
Is that not true?
It was over a week ago, so I don't know if they have sorted it now.
Zapmap had a number of reports stating that the post did not work correctly dating back at least 3 weeks, but according to the website it was working and available. Even after their CS agent had tried and failed to get the post working for me, the Instavolt website still showed it as available and working.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts