Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all sorts of cars in my life so far, including a V8 proper 110 LandRover, and not long ago a 2cyl Fiat 500 which was equally a hoot as the Landy, I had wanted to drive more environmentally friendly, and, continue the reduce the cost of my journeys --- so a couple of different Toyota HSDs which led in 2016 a Golf GTE PHEV.
The last 4 years with it, whereby most weekdays the ICE never started, and often it was recharged several times a day, the benefits of preheat for clear winter windows, there was no way back and I knew I'd replace it with a BEV of some kind. I'd thought I was going to get a Leaf40 as I'd seen some nice 2yr deals, but then stumbled across in-stock Kona64 P-SE for less than the best Leaf62 price that I couldn't quite stretch to. I'd also assumed the Konas were still 14month lead.

So .... vehicle is in in country, deposit secured, and in a few weeks due to payroll date reasons mostly, I'm collecting a red 64 P-SE. Speak ev was so useful when I got the Golf, I tried to give back as much as I learnt, and I'm slowly now working my way through the old threads here in your part of the EV world.
Ecotricity y/n, and an idiots' guide to setting up the phone app are my 2 areas still to tick off.

So Hello and thanks already to great stuff I have read.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,395 Posts
It's been good, but enjoy the Kona. It is my second choice if the ID.3 doesn't work out.

Reactions: gladini

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
If it's a brand new car with the latest updates to the car, Ecotricity should now be ok.

·
Registered
202 Posts
No no Ecotricity is not ok, go find higher rates chargers and leave the Ecotricity's to the 38kwh Ioniq/Kona/E-niro owners.
Last few trips started to have to queue for Ecotricity CCS and taken a bit of ac to get the next charger.

·
Registered
319 Posts
After two bad experiences with Ecotricity, I no longer use them. Instavolt and Engenie usually have chargers within 2 miles of a motorway junction and are in a much better environment than the motorway services.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
30k miles into ownership and can't fault the car. I'm sure you'll love it.

Did Ionity a few days ago at Peterborough services on A1. 76Kw and free for now!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
To be clear, I wasn't recommending Ecotricity! However I'm not aware of anyone who has had the latest battery management system (BMS) successfully applied (note: successfully...) finding any problem with Ecotricity chargers any more. Certainly @stageshoot is reporting that all the Ecotricity chargers he's tried now work whereas they didn't before. (Last I heard anyway).

That said, I would very strongly recommend InstaVolt as being the cream of the crop, with Engenie and Shell also being really good. Polar are a real mixed bag, and forget anything that doesn't accept contactless as a payment unless you do a lot of charging.

Reactions: Gadget Geek

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ecotricity is usually OK for me, and often has freevend, so its worth persevering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts