Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for journey planning/charging advice for a recent trip. Relatively new to our EV (40Kw Leaf, Dec 2019) and only done a couple of longer trips; only 2 rapid charges total so far (both on Polar, both got stuck)!

We're off to Pwllheli from Loughborough (170 miles) end of the month and was looking for some tips as Pwllheli is reasonably remote and lacking rapids further on than Oswestry. I believe we can make it (stopping at either Shrewsbury circa 80 miles or Oswestry circa 99 miles), but I'm intrigued to know if there might be other ways to make the journey. I'm working on the assumption that you should only rapid charge once every 24 hours, but I have seen advice to rapid charge at more often intervals as 'top ups'. We could find Type 2's but this would add considerable journey time and many appear at hotels after Oswestry. I'm also thinking about the terrain as the second leg (if stopping to charge back to nearly full at Shrewsbury or Oswestry) is across the mountains.

Options for charging are also limited once we are there to National Trust Type 2's. I am just checking if our Air BnB has an 3 pin plug accessible, however it is a 3rd floor flat! I've seen people report using extension leads for the brick, but I've also read you shouldn't so don't know what to believe? At home, I plug in straight to a socket on the garage circuit which is on it's own 16A fuse.

I considered lending an ICE from Nissan but it appears that scheme is no more despite it being advertised online when we got the EV. I could potentially swap with a friend for the week or dare I say it, hire an ICE :/

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
If I was making such a trip I think that the only safe way would be to go via Stoke and Chester and then follow the north coast route right around, past Anglesey and down the west coast. That will give numerous Chademo Rapid charge options starting at Nantwich. It's 176 miles that way and not as pretty but much safer in an EV.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
"A better route planner" is a good place to start. You can also set end charge levels to give you some buffer when you arrive.

Rapid charge as much as you need to. Clearly if your stopped anyway and a type2 charge fits the bill then why not, but deliberately using one instead of a rapid seems silly.

Extension leads can work, but you need a high quality one with decent thickness cable, your typical cheapy lead wont cut it. Consideration also needs given to waterproofing, and stuffing a cable out of a third floor flat window might well generate some complaints!

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,922 Posts
There isn't much in that bit of Wales to rely on. Zeronet chargers can be just cob webbed or nettled corners with a charger several feet inside a bush. There are a couple of tesla destination chargers around in local hotels.

I'd be inclined to hire a petrol auto and have a relaxing trip rather than take the Leaf. Only non Tesla EV I'd risk tripping around there in would be the 64kWh Niro, Soul or Konas. With 300 mile range they're far less hampered by the lack of charger choice.

There is a dual polar at a hotel in Snowdonia. Royal Oak I think it is. That's probably the nearest rapid to your destination.

You can repeatedly rapid charge the Leaf but charge speed slows down and it doesn't like repeated rapid charging and 70 mph driving. If you do 2 or 3 in a day with poodling along at max 60 mph between I'd think it would be fine unless it's scorching hot out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"A better route planner" is a good place to start. You can also set end charge levels to give you some buffer when you arrive.

Rapid charge as much as you need to. Clearly if your stopped anyway and a type2 charge fits the bill then why not, but deliberately using one instead of a rapid seems silly.

Extension leads can work, but you need a high quality one with decent thickness cable, your typical cheapy lead wont cut it. Consideration also needs given to waterproofing, and stuffing a cable out of a third floor flat window might well generate some complaints!
Re: the route planner (me + google maps and zap map) - any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I was making such a trip I think that the only safe way would be to go via Stoke and Chester and then follow the north coast route right around, past Anglesey and down the west coast. That will give numerous Chademo Rapid charge options starting at Nantwich. It's 176 miles that way and not as pretty but much safer in an EV.
Thanks, I’ll check it out. Although there’s that huge shopping complex at Chester and I don’t want to get stuck there all day :/

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
423 Posts
When choosing somewhere to stay filter zapmap for accommodation hotels. Then let them know you want to charge on arrival /overnight.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Shrewsbury has a pair of Instavolts at the Bannatyne Health Club, which most of us would say were the safest bet. You can realistically rapid charge a Leaf 40 twice in a day without hitting a limitation- you wouldn’t want to do it all the time, but occasionally will be OK.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Oh, and extension leads - this is the one I’ve got:

The weatherproof box takes the plug on the Leaf’s charger and can be closed - a lot of others can’t. Doesn’t get hot at all.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,527 Posts

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Thanks, I’ll check it out. Although there’s that huge shopping complex at Chester and I don’t want to get stuck there all day :/
It's fast and easy to by-pass Chester these days. The A55 starts East of Chester and circles South of the city. Its called the North Wales Expressway for good reason and follows the coast all the way to Menai. Going that way offers loads of Chademo choices. It's only 6 miles further but much faster as well as EV friendly when compared to over the mountains into charger wilderness. I wouldn't even consider any other route for that reason alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's fast and easy to by-pass Chester these days. The A55 starts East of Chester and circles South of the city. Its called the North Wales Expressway for good reason and follows the coast all the way to Menai. Going that way offers loads of Chademo choices. It's only 6 miles further but much faster as well as EV friendly when compared to over the mountains into charger wilderness. I wouldn't even consider any other route for that reason alone.
Seems sensible, thanks for the advice!

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,527 Posts
Ah - who’d have thought they would actually call the app that! Thanks, looks great.
There are iphone and Android apps too.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Driving from Shrewsbury Instavolt to Pwllheli should be fine. I think you will suffer about using ghe NT charger at Llanbedrog, it is frequently in use for long periods. As a simple matter of planning, only accept accommodation that will provide an outside 3 pin power source.

So no problem getting there, but not sure where you will recharge when there.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Heh, yeah when i said "A better route planner" i meant the website/app. I wasnt having a dig at you 😂

ABRP seems to suggest two routes for your suggested journey and they dont look particularly bad even for a LEAF30.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
So no problem getting there, but not sure where you will recharge when there.
That's precisely why I would go via the North Coast route because a second stop at somewhere in the Bangor area would mean that arrival at Pwllheli will still leave a good charge for local and/or the first leg of the return journey.

I would plan to stop first to fill at somewhere like Nantwich ( 70 miles ) then again at Talybont ( 80 miles ) then on to Pwllheli to leave sufficient charge to cover local trips and still get back to Bangor to fill again for the return journey.

If Nantwich failed for any reason there are around six alternatives within remaining range to give plan B, C and D and then again three alternatives around Bangor to fill the battery to overcome any charger desert in Pwllheli.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
you can set ABRP that you want to arrive with (say) 50% battery and it'll factor that into the stops too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts