Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Beginning to plan my journey. This is still happening, I trust? I am gaining confidence in the long-range Berlingo after my successful London trip last weekend.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi All,

Also planning my journey from Great Malvern to Frenchay (~60 miles) in the RX8

I would like to stop en route for a safety top up. I've managed more than 60 miles before but never done all motorway so not 100% sure how the car will perform. I suspect I'll be fine as cruising rather than stop/start.

I never normally charge apublically but occasionally use podpoint and plugged in midlands.

Does anyone know what I need to use the ecotricity chargers at Michael Wood services? I ordered a card 6 weeks ago which hasn't arrived. Can I use them without a card?

Also, are they type 2 only? I'm J1772 and have misplaced my type1 - type2 lead.

Finally, I'll need to charge at the event, If anyone has one of the ZCW adaptors they could lend I would be most grateful. otherwise it'll be the (now illegal) UK 3pin to commando to j1772 cable!

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
We will be leafing there too, tickets booked for 2. Smoked salmon and lemon drizzle cake (went down well last time) in the making:). Will be charging Forrest Green Rovers about 11.30am unless anyone knows it is down (currently up on electric highway map).

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Duh, I've just realised it's Fathers Day on Sunday. I may not be able to make it after all, though most likely I'll pop in at some point for a little while as I'm less than 5 miles up the road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will be bringing my unmade type2 plug tomorrow. Does anyone here have the resistors and diode needed to make a type2>16a commando lead?

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
We will be leafing there too, tickets booked for 2. Smoked salmon and lemon drizzle cake (went down well last time) in the making:). Will be charging Forrest Green Rovers about 11.30am unless anyone knows it is down (currently up on electric highway map).
what is your recipe for the smoked salmon and lemon drizzle cake, sounds interesting:p

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Shame it's on fathers day (will be visiting).

Maybe I'll show up on the next meeting.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Managed to drop in for a couple of hours. Thanks to @aminorjourney and friends for organising.

Fascinating talk from @GBEV on drag and aerodynamics. Very interesting and insightful. Not sure I'll be taping up the doors and going all starsky & hutch though. Shame the keyfob doesn't have an option to remote open the windows!

Look forward to the next one :)

If I have finished the smart solar EVSE prototype by then I might be persuaded to do a show & tell if people are interested.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Just to repeat what @PaulMorris said.

Would anybody be interested in a similar event in malvern (worcestershire) in a few months time?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Managed to drop in for a couple of hours. Thanks to @aminorjourney and friends for organising.

Fascinating talk from @GBEV on drag and aerodynamics.
Look forward to the next one :)

If I have finished the smart solar EVSE prototype by then I might be persuaded to do a show & tell if people are interested.
You are welcome and Thanks, never got to the transparent mylar front wheel disc covers and rear wheel well close offs:D.

Definately interested in your device, bring it on.
By the way, meant to say if you have an SMA TL series solar inverter there is a crude option of taking a load straight off that to charge your batteries too but you may loose a bit of F.I.T. that way as well so simple but by no means ideal and it would just switch on and off whenever the set threshold was reached.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Many thanks Gary (GBEV) for your very interesting research / talk on aero dynamics , much appreciated i think by all , A super afternoon - where did all the time go ?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
:D
By the way, meant to say if you have an SMA TL series solar inverter there is a crude option of taking a load straight off that to charge your batteries too but you may loose a bit of F.I.T. that way as well so simple but by no means ideal and it would just switch on and off whenever the set threshold was reached.
Didn't understand the comments today re: loss of FIT. FIT is fixed and assumed 50% of your generation as I understood it. Hence I won't be loosing a single penny as my upload into the grid isn't metered. I thought only bigger installs required a feed in meter.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
GBEV is saying taking the load directly from the inverter into the car; that means that the energy doesn't go through the FIT meter first, so it doesn't register on the meter so you lose money.
Ah, I see. Different approach. My version is less invasive, so safer & easier to install but needs a bit more tech.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts