Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last time i posted you guys helped me out a lot deciding to do full EV not hybrid range extender etc. I had pretty much decided on a 60ah I3 with a nice spec. Then i spotted a Mercedes B250E in autotrader and found that they seem to be pretty well priced. So questions are ......

Whats the difference between sport premium and electric art premium they seem to have similar/same specs on the used market.

Has anybody had a B250E or better still that and an I3 i'm guessing range is pretty similar given the same conditions. I drove an I3 but not the Merc again from what i have read its a more comfortable ride with plenty of poke and a bit bigger all over. I need to fit a baby in the back (18 months old) and a Frenchie in the boot and planning on running it for 5 years ish

Are they all key start (watched a vid on youtube) My Mrs likes having a key in her bag somewhere and just getting in the car and going.

Is the extended range feature button thingy on all of them or did you have to specifically add it as an option.

I love that the i3 was built as an electric car but also like the idea of the merc being a baby Tesla that's got to be a good thing hasn't it.

Already know about the lack of fast charge and i'm fine with that as i doubt it will ever do long journeys just get charged over night.

Thanks again chaps you guys are an awesome wealth of knowledge on here

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
106 Posts
I think that as soon as your baby grows old enough to belt/unbelt his/herself, you'll be cursing the stupid I3 doors.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The Mercedes (assuming you mean the original all EV 250E) is a good car, it was a tie up Mercedes did with Tesla for their tech so no issues with the quality of the actual EV bit, the only thing I’d be aware off is servicing/repairs and warranty work, it’s quite a rare model and MB main dealers were never that clued up with them in the first place, so whether they could even be bothered now is anyone’s guess.
The B Class is a bigger car than the i3, and even though we own and love the i3, for you carrying babies/kids around it might be a bit of a stretch.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
I love that the i3 was built as an electric car but also like the idea of the merc being a baby Tesla that's got to be a good thing hasn't it.
Since you don't need rapid charging, you are probably better off with the Mercedes.

Early i3s (2013-2015) are not as reliable as the later ones. i3 parts can be very expensive.

Both cars have a decent safety margin - the space between 100% SOC and the true full capacity of the battery.

The margin on the Mercdes is unusually big. There is a software limiter. Cars without the extended range button still have the same battery. I'd guess the battery on a B250e without the extended range button will out live the car by many years.

I've driven both and own an i3. The Merc feels heavy. It drives like a heavy car.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Mercedes bought a 9% stake in Tesla as part of the partnership deal. By 2014 they had sold all of shares. I can imagine the second guessing on that decision.

If you had $7bn worth of Tesla stock what would you do ?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
My advice would be not to own either of them without a comprehensive warranty - both can and sometimes do go wrong and as above the parts are eye-wateringly expensive. Most MB garages know little about them so you will need to find a knowledgeable one locally to support you. Also be prepared for there sometimes to be a delay to mechanical repairs - a lot of parts appear to come from Tesla on special order rather than be in stock anywhere at MB, UK or otherwise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the speedy replies, Simon-g thank you so much for the pic that really will make life easier when i look at them.

I do like that the I3 felt nimble especially for city driving.

It would be the original B250E around 2016 ish or 2015 ish for an I3

So its worth ringing my local MB dealer to see if they can repair work on the B250e First ..... good call, i'd never heard of it until this weekend to be fair.

Is there any warranty on the MB battery, i think there is 8 years on the I3 maybe ?

The 3rd option is still a 30kw leaf which would be 2017, i didn't have an issue with the Leaf just didn't grab me as much as the I3

I'm guessing the funky suicide doors wear this after a while then. I didn't really think about that as my daughter gets older.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
The i3 is doubtless a better car to drive than the same age LEAF, but the LEAF is cheaper to buy and maintain. The i3 is a fantastic city car but suffers on motorways, particularly in crosswinds, where the LEAF is better. I am not convinced that the i3 boot is ideal for a dog - it is quite deep with a narrow hatch at the top. With any car try to get a test drive with the dog - some cars make noises that disturb them whilst being unnoticeable to humans.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,781 Posts
The 3rd option is still a 30kw leaf which would be 2017
It's the most practical option. Typically a bit more reliable than the other two, has rapid charge should you ever need to go on a long distance trip, and it's going to be probably the cheapest and easiest to repair should anything go wrong.

With any car try to get a test drive with the dog - some cars make noises that disturb them whilst being unnoticeable to humans.
I would agree with this, especially with the i3 which has the motor right in the rear. I noticed when driving with the rear seats folded down just how much noise the motor really makes, so a dog back there may not be happy with the loud, high pitched noises it makes. I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded much worse to animals than my human ears.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,762 Posts
The i3 is doubtless a better car to drive than the same age LEAF, but the LEAF is cheaper to buy and maintain. The i3 is a fantastic city car but suffers on motorways, particularly in crosswinds, where the LEAF is better. I am not convinced that the i3 boot is ideal for a dog - it is quite deep with a narrow hatch at the top. With any car try to get a test drive with the dog - some cars make noises that disturb them whilst being unnoticeable to humans.
I'd be amazed if one could even get a dog in the boot of an i3 - especially if the range extender is fitted. That boot is barely big enough for a set of teacups!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
You beat me to it....

As I said before, I can't help but laugh at people with the monster SUVs carrying no more than I put in the i3.

The i3 is well designed. There is very little wasted space. LEAF is bigger but the space is not as usefull.

If you need to carry 4 adults on a regular basis, LEAF is better. For cargo there is not much in it.

Things we fit in the i3:

50 inch TV in the factory box
4 adults, 2 small suitcases
Great Dane, Labradoodle, 2 Adults, 2 dog beds, 2 small suit cases.
Female olympic barbell, dumbells and a bunch of plates (I use a 15kg bar. Better match for my ability)
2 Adults, 2 large suitcases, 2 small suitecases, 1 duffel bag
Typical garden centre run - bags of mulch, plants, contianers and things we never knew we wanted...

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,212 Posts
Just get Leaf on a 2 year lease. That is the best way to dip your toe in the water. Then spend the next two years looking at all the competitors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts