Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I am just about to place an order for a VW ID4. I am cautious, first EV. Couple of questions; do I wait a extra month and get a car with a heat pump, it’s an extra and all the ones on route to this country don’t have them. Also although most of my journeys are well within the vehicle range, I do drive 260miles+ several times a year for holidays with a fully loaded car. What in reality are the uk charging networks like. Looking forward (nervously) coming onboard. Matt

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,058 Posts
Welcome... You seem to have created two posts, so you'll probably face some duplication. Unfortunately It isn't possible to delete a post here...

Anyway. Heat pumps for heating, as oppose to just AC for cooling, create some discussion between those who think they're worth it and those who don't. For me it depends how much extra it costs and whether you expect to cover distances in colder weather. That's where the heat pump can make a big difference. If you're just pootling around locally or have a short commute the extra efficiency of the heat pump is possibly not worth the extra cost.

Charging networks are variable. Instavolt and Osprey are currently the favoured chargers. Both allow contactless payment with no membership with a flat fee per kW. They also tend to be reliable. That's partly because they're quite new on the whole but they seem responsive to fault reports.

Failures or chargers being unavailable are always possible so it's wise to have a plan B (and maybe C, D and E) in case your selected charger is not available.

Things are getting better. There's a lot of investment right now. Instavolt are expanding to McDonalds and KFC drivethrough locations. BP Pulse are likely to start bringing 150kW rapid chargers to locations without a huge grid connection (they've invested in a company that builds these). Electric Highway is a source of much consternation with unreliable and ancient chargers. They're apparently all about to be replaced - at least there'll be a project started to do that.

It's worth noting Instavolt and Osprey both tend not to be on motorways, but not far away.

Bottom line, you're never that far away from working rapid until you are. Some parts of the UK are not well served and there are many areas where the infrastructure is limited to AC chargers, so a real world 6-11kW depending on what your car's onboard charger supports.

Planned right, your long journeys will have charging stops that are actually driving breaks and food stops where the car happens to also be charged.

·
Banned
367 Posts
The heat pump can help increase efficiency in the winter especially in the UK.
But it depends a lot on the heat pump, how efficient it is in freezing temperatures and how much it costs. Not all of them are designed well and operate well below freezing, OEM's can cheap out on this type of accessories.
If you're going to use the car for steady commutes with warm garages at both ends, you may not need the heat pump. Having ahuhge battery pack under your car provides thermal inertia.

It also depends on how you're planning to charge your car and how much the heat pump costs additionally. If you can charge for free at your workplace or a nearby grocery store, the heat pump may never earn itself back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In case you haven't discovered them. A couple of websites to play around with that are really useful for long journeys when you need to use the public charging network.
www.zap-map.com Has a map showing almost all the public charger locations, which network they belong to, charging speed, plug type, cost, payment method etc.
www.abetterrouteplanner.com Add make/model of ev and journey details and it will suggest suitable charging locations

·
Registered
297 Posts
Generally wouldn’t worry about the longer trips. Things are improving these days and all Motorway services should have at least more reliable chargers this year and some of them having many more stations.

as mentioned above, if you tend to travel to similar locations on longer trips, have a play with a better route planner. You can also experiment with temperature to estimate winter range, and add a bit back for heat pump to see if it makes any difference. I think the jury is likely still out in that so might be a bit of a guess from you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts