Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
All of those figures are the same as my 2020 Purchased 06 June updated two days before and does not have the battery saver in menu. The car is going back in for the satnav update a week today on 10th July. The dealer only got the update for that last weekend. I asked about it after stageshoot first mentioned it. By the way stageshoot how do you like that camera you purchased?

Dan.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
All of those figures are the same as my 2020 Purchased 06 June updated two days before and does not have the battery saver in menu. The car is going back in for the satnav update a week today on 10th July. The dealer only got the update for that last weekend. I asked about it after stageshoot first mentioned it. By the way stageshoot how do you like that camera you purchased? View attachment 131970
Dan.
Really like the dashcam not had any events where I have needed it yet but that’s always the best way to have one,

Reactions: Gadget Geek

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I think they do the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) and any software updates to the cars when they arrive at Tilbury so it's likely they have more diagnostic tools there than the local dealers.

Meanwhile I shall make sure the car is turned off when we rapid charge it next...

·
Registered
247 Posts
@stageshoot ,40C is pretty high for Kona (based on my experience). I've noticed the cooling comes on somewhere around 30C on 50KW chargers. And coolant keeps the battery in reasonable temp (even on 3rd, 4th charge it wouldn't go beyond 33-35C). On HPC it went up to 38C this year (the highest I've seen so far on hot summer day) and it throttles (185amps). Cooling cannot cope with high temps. Once charging is finished it then uses about 1% on Battery Care for about 15-30 minutes (depending on how fast you drive),
Those numbers are from my memory so may not be 100% accurate but this is roughly what I noticed.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
@stageshoot ,40C is pretty high for Kona (based on my experience). I've noticed the cooling comes on somewhere around 30C on 50KW chargers. And coolant keeps the battery in reasonable temp (even on 3rd, 4th charge it wouldn't go beyond 33-35C). On HPC it went up to 38C this year (the highest I've seen so far on hot summer day) and it throttles (185amps). Cooling cannot cope with high temps. Once charging is finished it then uses about 1% on Battery Care for about 15-30 minutes (depending on how fast you drive),
Those numbers are from my memory so may not be 100% accurate but this is roughly what I noticed.
Yes on HPCs ours was getting up to 46c, and the coolant was not cooling it it stayed at that as per chart, had to drive for 90mins to 2 hours to get it down to 30c with BattMaint using 5%

And this was first charge of the day not after previous charging

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Did a comparison charge today on the 20Reg Loaner Kona, to compare it to the charge on our Kona that is getting hot while charging

Both Charging Sessions were 15% to 80%... Both sessions were on the same Ionity 150Kw unit at Leeds Skelton Services

On Our Car, The Battery Reached 45c, The Coolant Started at 25c and rose to 35c.. the battery stayed in BatteryCare mode the whole 90min drive home trying to cool the battery

Graph for OUR CHARGE

On DSGS Loaner Kona, The Coolant Started at 23c and dropped to 12c as soon as the Chillers kicked in, it stayed at that temp through the charge, kept the battery to a max of 35c, and it even started to cool as the charger got to 80%. NO BATTCARE at all in the entire drive home.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I charged a few times since the update and my Battery Temperature varies between the 4 modules. Module 4 is the hottest. It reaches a maximum temperature of 100.4F (38 Celsius) and stays there. When battery cooling kicks in, it manages to keep the battery temperature where it is.. It does not drop the temperature but it stops it from rising. The coolest battery module stays at 96.8F (36C) while the hottest one stays at 38C. Day time air temperature in summer where I live is between 32 and 38C (90 - 100F). So, the battery is only a little hotter than the environment temperature. Intake Air temperature with the chiller on never drops below 64F (17C) in summer..
I got similar results before the update..

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It does indeed. Pity that skill, intelligence, powers of deduction and communication don't extend to the manufacturers themselves :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Well despite all the info given to the Hyundai have just come back to us and asked permission to drive the car another 300 miles to empty the battery so they can charge it again as they have not a conclusion on the issue yet

really getting silly now that despite all the info given they seem no closer and the testing is running into multiple thousand miles of charging and discharging with what we, the dealer, and now Hyundai are doing

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It is ridiculous given all the information you've given them :mad:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Don't Hyundai have a duty of care to sell goods fit for purpose? A car that can't rapid charge is not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well had an update from Hyundai.

They say they have tested it alongside another Kona, and its within tolerance

Basically they charged it at 15c ambient and after it had stood so the battery was cold, and say it didnt cut off hot so they are happy with that.

The fact it was reported to them and documents showed that it was on hot days and with a warm battery that the issues occurred they didnt give a rats ass

Just said they were using official equipement and our app was 3rd party so would give "unreliable" Results.

So basically feet dug in and live with it, we dont care.

So thats 100% End of Hyundai for me car will be traded when it gets back from them, despite side by side graphs showing the chiller working on one car and not on ours, thats the Apps fault as long as it takes a rapid charge at 15c ambient and the battery does not explode they are happy.

Anyway end of rant lifes too short to keep messing around with this, Other choices out there now not sure where we will go but it 100% will never by Hyundai/Kia again

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sh*t creek - No paddle. I'm gutted for you!
Hyundai Motor UK, hang your heads in shame, you've just shot your most important ambassador!

John.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Basically they charged it at 15c ambient and after it had stood so the battery was cold, and say it didnt cut off hot so they are happy with that.
So basically feet dug in and live with it, we dont care.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Given that you have nothing to lose complain publicly on their Twitter feed saying that their car isn't fit for purpose if you have to wait hours before being able to Rapid charge it. Out of interest, how long does the battery take to cool down to ambient temperature once heat soaked after a run at legal Motorway speeds? Many hours I'd presume, so they presumably had left it overnight?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Try emailing their CEO detailing all the information you have gathered and maybe a link to this thread. The internet is a very powerful publicity machine (good and bad), you only have to look at Tesla who have spent $0 on advertising.
Hyundai Motor UK Limited
Mr Ashley AndrewManaging Director
Email[email protected]
Telephone01494 428600
Switchboard01494 428600
Fax01494 428741
Websitehttps://www.hyundai-car.co.uk
Postal Address728 London Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 1HEM
Company Number05446560

41 - 60 of 570 Posts