Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 'new' battery last year, guaranteed for 24 months, from EV Workshops. It never performed well. I kept on calling and calling Ric, the man who owns and runs EV Workshopes, to investigate and he came out to see it a couple of times, tweaked it, and said it would be fine but it wasn't. Eventually because I kept complaining he suggested he take it off to his workshop to investigate. After a lot, a very lot, of now shows, my car was taken away (still plugged in and causing damage). Then I heard nothing. He was then elusive and evasive for over a month, ignoring my many calls and texts, sending me a couple of texts saying he'd call later on but not doing so, and eventually telling me the battery WAS faulty but that it was because I had cracked the motor casing and that wasn't covered by the warranty. He said it was my fault the battery wasn't working. He then demanded £472 from me before I could have my car back. This money, he said, was for taking my car, stripping it down, reassembling it and then delivering back.

He was very shouty at me over the phone. Shouting that it wasn't his fault if he'd left his phone on silent. Then shouting that he'd left his phone at a job.

I finally got my car back just yesterday after going to collect it myself. I didn't trust him to deliver it to me as I'd heard some horror stories about people never getting their car back even though they'd paid upfront.

I don't think I cracked the motor or its casing as I have never had any bumps in my car. I've spoken to other G-Wiz mechanics and they said that even if there was a crack in the casing of the motor that wouldn't affect the performance of the battery, more likely the car just wouldn't work at all.

Trading Standards couldn't help and neither could my local police.

On Ebay I've noticed that he seems to have changed his trading name from EV Workshops to Electric Car Workshop.

I'm posting this because I want to warn people not to use this man. I have had a very costly, stressful and upsetting experience and the end result is that in thinking I was saving money by buying a battery from him for £1,250 (and then yesterday paying him another almost £400 because he claims to have 'stripped it down and reassembled it') I now have to get a real new battery put into it anyway at £1,850.

I'm sure many others must have had awful experiences with this man/workshop.

Unavailable, Unreliable, Unbelievable, and, very Unpleasant.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,041 Posts
What an awful experience for you, traders like him make me so angry.

You probably want to put it behind you and move on with life, but if you feel aggrieved why not consider the small claims court?

It can all be done online, perhaps a chat with CAB first to check whether they think you'd have a case?

Failing that, get onto the Rogue Traders type programmes on the BBC, they often like this sort of thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Tooks. I don't want to put it behind me just yet. I want my money back because I feel robbed (and need it to go towards a proper battery) and I feel strongly that he must not continue to get away with this type of behaviour. I am going to be pursuing this through the small claims court - I'm just going to see what the mechanics at the garage say where I had my car towed to last night. Meanwhile I want to alert people. I'm lucky, compared to some, because I got my car away from him. I've heard that some people never get their car back at all.

What an awful experience for you, traders like him make me so angry.

You probably want to put it behind you and move on with life, but if you feel aggrieved why not consider the small claims court?

It can all be done online, perhaps a chat with CAB first to check whether they think you'd have a case?

Failing that, get onto the Rogue Traders type programmes on the BBC, they often like this sort of thing.[/QUOTE

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
If he's permanently depriving people of their property, then I don't understand why the police won't get involved?

Best of luck with taking him to court, I really hope he gets what's coming!

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Some good advice here about using the small claims process.

Small claims - Citizens Advice

The bit about ensuring you've exhausted all reasonable ways to resolve it before court is particularly important.

Perhaps the next step is to contact the garage in writing one more time to state what you want to happen and warn that you will take it to court if he doesn't respond?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some good advice here about using the small claims process.

Small claims - Citizens Advice

The bit about ensuring you've exhausted all reasonable ways to resolve it before court is particularly important.

Perhaps the next step is to contact the garage in writing one more time to state what you want to happen and warn that you will take it to court if he doesn't respond?
I had already said to him, before I caved in and told him I'd come to give him cash to get my car back, that he was leaving me no choice but to take him to court. He replied that he wasn't in the wrong so he had no problem with that.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,172 Posts
Have the car inspected by an independent garage, I suspect they will find that the nuts and bolts he is claiming to have undone will not have been touched, this would be very obvious, the same for the cracked motor, I bet it's undamaged and he is just trying it on, don't touch it yourself until it has been looked at by an independent source.

Then sue his arse off (y)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
In the interest of getting to the bottom of this I'm happy to have a look over it free of charge if you can get the car to us.

Going Green in London are also worth speaking to for G-Wiz service/repairs.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
10,172 Posts
In the interest of getting to the bottom of this I'm happy to have a look over it free of charge of you can get the car to us.

Going Green in London are also worth speaking to for G-Wiz service/repairs.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Depending where you are in the country I may be able to get it to Mike's for some diesel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's a great shame.

I have done business with Ric from EV Workshops twice before, I bought a G Wiz from a garage in London and he transported it up to my home in Merseyside for me ; a couple of years later he bought it back from me and transported it back to London.

He was a nice man, hard working and very helpful, he gave me quite a reasonable deal on both occasions and I am surprised that anyone on here should have had any problems with him.

Of course I don't know the circumstances of this disagreement apart from what I read here, but perhaps you could bring my post to his attention as an indication that he has an otherwise good reputation which he might avoid losing if he reconsidered this case and was a bit more helpful.

I do hope that you can come to some agreement with Ric as I count him as a friend and don't believe he is a rip off merchant.

·
10,172 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's a great shame.

I have done business with Ric from EV Workshops twice before, I bought a G Wiz from a garage in London and he transported it up to my home in Merseyside for me ; a couple of years later he bought it back from me and transported it back to London.

He was a nice man, hard working and very helpful, he gave me quite a reasonable deal on both occasions and I am surprised that anyone on here should have had any problems with him.

Of course I don't know the circumstances of this disagreement apart from what I read here, but perhaps you could bring my post to his attention as an indication that he has an otherwise good reputation which he might avoid losing if he reconsidered this case and was a bit more helpful.

I do hope that you can come to some agreement with Ric as I count him as a friend and don't believe he is a rip off merchant.
Unfortunately I know I am not alone. I'm glad your experiences were good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That explains the change of business name, EV Workshop has probably been wound up leaving massive debts everywhere, I know a business that used to do this quite regularly, the new business buys the assets of the old business at a knock down price.
How terrible! I'd seen one of those but not the other. It's SO shocking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have the car inspected by an independent garage, I suspect they will find that the nuts and bolts he is claiming to have undone will not have been touched, this would be very obvious, the same for the cracked motor, I bet it's undamaged and he is just trying it on, don't touch it yourself until it has been looked at by an independent source.

Then sue his arse off (y)
I have sent the car to an independent garage to do just this. Believe me, as soon as I got back into my car after over a month I knew that nothing had been done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
North London is good for me :)
Well I wish I'd known before I sent it 17 miles away! For the sake of acquiring evidence for my case against Ric, I have to go to the garage tomorrow (the car is already there) to film the mechanics taking out the seats of my G-Wiz and examining the batteries. And, as has been said, they will be able to see if he's done anything to the motor. Are you a mechanic? How much would you think is reasonable, by the way, to pay for a good battery for a G-Wiz? (if you know)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I am based in Colchester and can assist you. I have supplied a pack for a Mega van recently, and also replaced its motor and other issues. Im sure Going Green could help as well they are now located in Hayes.
This sort of thing really gives independant business like mine , going green and Mikes a hard time. I spend a lot of time developing a decent relationship with my customers, sometimes there are problems, but theres always a solution. I am currently having a dispute with a car sales company who employed me to go to manchester to repair a car, but now wont pay for the 13 hours of travel. (the warranty company will pay , but not for thr travel) All this despite explaining my costs and getting an email from them agreeing to my terms. The online money claim system is actually very good, but you have to have made various attempts to resolve things first. Send a letter , signed for outlining your claim and issues,dont just email. Give them a set time say, 5 days to respond, then use the online service. It does cost you an upfront fee.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts