Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I’ve just purchased a 2017 30KW Tekna for my wife and now looking to get up to EV speed.
We’ve never had an EV before so can you help with the following questions and offer any other advice/tips you’ve gained:

Connected App - where to register?

What cables should I buy for public charging (type 1 to type 2) as the car only comes with the granny charger?

I think the car only has the 3.3 onboard charger So I assume no point in getting a home charger, just use granny charger?

What the the best rapid chargers (brands)for when needing to charge out in the road? Most reliable/cheapest. Most out of home charging will be required along the M4 or Milton Keynes/Oxford area.
Do these rapid charges need Apps on the phone, contactless payments or RFID card?
Which payment apps are the most Use

Any recommended accessories/apps?

Thanks in advance, we collect next Saturday.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Congratulations, that was quick. You don't hang around.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Do you have off road parking? Even if you just have the 3.3 (actually 3.6) charger then I would still go for a "proper" charge point. Get a 7Kwh one as there really will be no going back now. You are entitled to the OLEV grant so get the ball rolling.
Do you know how to check if it a 3.3 or 6.6?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I purchased type 2 to type 1 from eBay.

Home charger installation indoors safety. The wiring is split from meter and cable is sufficiently thick for constant 32A load rather than peak 13A of home wiring.

I'd keep granny for usage while waiting for installation.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
The Nissan app can be troublesome to get up and running.
Often needs a call to Nissan when you have the V5 as it may still be registered to the previous owner.
Nissan are pretty helpful.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The Nissan app can be troublesome to get up and running.
Often needs a call to Nissan when you have the V5 as it may still be registered to the previous owner.
Nissan are pretty helpful.
I used Sales invoice.. Had to email it to You+Nissan.

Start by calling them.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Most of the rapids around Milton Keynes are Polar so you should probably look into either a Polar Plus subscription (RFID) or try out the Polar app. Most of the Polar chargers are being upgraded (and some already have) to take contactless credit/debit card payments but those cost more than using the app or Polar plus.

Take a look at https://www.zap-map.com/ - that'll show you the chargers and help you decide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car will have been supplied with 2 cables. I’d go back to the seller and ask for the cable...
the car is coming from a Nissan main dealers and he is adamant that this car was only sold with one cable but that you could buythe other cable with a brand new car at a discounted price but many people didn’t.
Either way, we’ve agreed a price I’m happy with and I knew it only came with Granny charger at the time.
Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you have off road parking? Even if you just have the 3.3 (actually 3.6) charger then I would still go for a "proper" charge point. Get a 7Kwh one as there really will be no going back now. You are entitled to the OLEV grant so get the ball rolling.
Do you know how to check if it a 3.3 or 6.6?
Good advice/questions above. A "chargepoint" is generally more efficient than a "Granny" charger due to the inverter working at its designed current, and the faster charging rates gives you access to the cheaper off-peak rates such as Octopus Go. Strictly speaking "Granny" chargers are less safe so should be kept for "away from home" (visiting your Granny) charges rather than your main supply. Finally, if you do have the 6.6 kWh charger rather than 3.6 kWh then it is a must - a granny charger will only manage around 2.1 kWh so you are missing out significantly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts