Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_(watch)

The neat thing is it has an app for Tesla control! Not tried it at home yet, but I'm hoping it solves the main usability niggle I'm experiencing. I.e. Charge port opening / unlocking from outside the car.

Not sure if it's me, but with my Polar home unit, switching it to the off position doesn't unlock the charge port. My understanding was the US cable has a release button in the gun, with our plain type 2 cable, obviously this is missing.

This means I have to get in the car first to unlock the port from the screen, get back out, unplug the cable put it in the boot, then get back in the car to drive off (hopefully having remembered to close the flap).

I'm hoping I can work around this by just pressing some buttons on the watch, which is much more handy than getting the phone out of my pocket, especially if I have a charge cable in my hand at the time (which is generally when I notice I've forgotten the flap!)

Of course all the other Tesla control stuff is there, so instant battery usage display, honk horn/ flash lights there on your wrist.

I know it won't appeal to all the horologists out there, but I'll let you know how I get on. :)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I've been using a Pebble since feb13 (KS edition) and I now have a pebble steel.. it's a really nice watch and is very useful (check out "pebble locker")..

I'm tempted to buy an S just to go wih my pebble...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
yeah saw a demo of it and a similar one for googlewear watches as well. Hopefully apple will pull their finger out and get something out for us IOS types

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Nerds.

;)

Seriously though, that sounds very cool. If I didn't have tiny wrists (seriously!) and was a bit more decisive I'd have jumped on the smart watch/armband/thing on your wrist movement much sooner.

Although Tesla Control at first made me think of the James Bond scene where he drives his BMW with a (Nokia?) smart phone (communicator?). :D

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah saw a demo of it and a similar one for googlewear watches as well. Hopefully apple will pull their finger out and get something out for us IOS types
Went for the pebble over the googlewear purely for battery life. Of course the iWatch may address this, but I'm sure it won't be cheap.

The Pebble will work with an iPhone, but I can't say how well or if the "Tesla FTW" app works that well on it. Already I'm appreciating the notifications on the watch for text messages / emails.

In terms of the look, I'd have gone for the new Moto360, but again it's battery life will still be a big problem.

We actually do both Android and iOS development here, and I have spent a great deal of time on both. TBH for my own personal phone I won't go back to Apple now.

I've looked at the source code for the Pebble "Tesla FTW app", and it's really pretty simple stuff. I might have a crack at fixing some of the bugs (primarily connectivity issues), and tweak the order of the menus to better address my requirements as a simple charge port control tool. Need to see if it works quickly enough when both the car and my phone are hooked into my home WiFi, before investing too much time. It is a tad laggy over 3G.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Hopefully apple will pull their finger out and get something out for us IOS types
@jontracey Pebble does work on IOS.
In fact you may want to consider Pebble above other "more advanced" options, take a read http://www.androidcentral.com/pebbles-place-android-wear-world
The battery life and sunlight visibility are important!

Pebble steel is slightly smaller but thicker than the plastic version but well worth the extra money for quality. (click for uncropped image!)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been using a Pebble since feb13 (KS edition) and I now have a pebble steel.. it's a really nice watch and is very useful (check out "pebble locker")..
Yep I bought the Steel, with the leather strap it's decent enough looking watch for day to day use.
I'm tempted to buy an S just to go wih my pebble...
I can assure you the Model S will compliment it beautifully ;)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Nice. So I've Speak EV on a Pepple and Speak EV on a Model S screen... Should make this is a random challenge/competition thing. :D
technically that's just an email notification (for watched! thread) but I'll let you have it.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I got the LEAF to read me the main forum RSS feed, that was horrific but I still count it too. :D
@Paul Have you tried displaying it on paper? (bit old fashioned)

ok to keep this on topic here's the "Glance app" watchface:
IMG_20140820_165838.jpg

That 58 is my phone battery, not the Pebbles battery which is at 90% still (both charged overnight)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts