Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Administrator
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Looking for help in lots of places for this, but wondered if anyone here has the knowledge to help.

I just bought my new (used) Zoe from a franchised Renault dealer. It was advertised as a Q90 (as that is what I wanted) and on the documentation I have for the car it just says "Zoe" and the rear badge just says Z40 Electric i.

Tried charging tonight for the first time, and it didn't pull enough power, so I tried another quick/rapid charger, same thing...

Just seen the label on the B-Pillar that says R90.

Crap.

What recourse may I have, purchased yesterday?

The AutoTrader Ad is GONE, but fortunately I have the email enquiry I made via AutoTrader which includes their description of "Renault ZOE 65kW Signature Nav Q90 40kWh 5dr Auto". I appreciate the 65kW is also not correct (as far as I'm aware) but it was the Q model I was focusing in on.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Administrator
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction to the above, the 65kW is the engine power, so that wouldn't be a problem, it's just not a Q90, it's an R90. So I have bought a car based on a false description.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,617 Posts
It's not as described so you can ask for an immediate refund and return the car. It's incompetent for a main dealer to get it wrong. But not that unusual!

The Q doesn't actually charge in half the time. It's a bit of a swizz.

The Q models have a big metal box under the bonnet but the R has a plastic one. A photo of the engine bay would be good to double check which it is.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I Don't know a lot about the laws or anything like that, but I would like to think that you should be able to contact the dealer when they re-open and explain the situation where they would hopefully agree to take it back since it wasn't as described. While dealers typically are incompetent, they generally are reasonable when they are in the wrong, especially if you give them a little push. I have to deal with them a lot as part of my work and have never had any real hassle getting them to sort out their mistakes.

Never take a dealers word for what they are selling though. Always research the differences yourself, and then go to check it over yourself to be sure everything is correct. Especially with Zoes where there are a lot of different variations of batteries, motors and potential battery leases, with very little immediately obvious differences.

Depending on how good the car otherwise is, and the price you got it for, ask yourself if you really need the Q90 Though. They don't always charge at 43kW. You have to charge under just the right circumstances to achieve it, and it will rather quickly drop to lower speeds. The difference between the R(22kW) and Q(43kW) charging times aren't hugely different so unless you are regularly going to drive beyond the range of the battery it may not really matter much.

·
Administrator
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked all the obvious stuff, picked it up fully charged, was an "i" (says so on the badge) etc. No reason to doubt it wasn't a q model.

It's not so much I will regularly go beyond the range, but when I do I will be charging at service stations going to/back from holidays (usually with kids), and three years with a LEAF has taught me a rapid/quick charge can be worth its weight in gold in those situations.

Dealer is a LONG way away as well. Ouch.

Price different new was what, £1450 Q vs R with battery included?

·
Administrator
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not as described so you can ask for an immediate refund and return the car. It's incompetent for a main dealer to get it wrong. But not that unusual!

The Q doesn't actually charge in half the time. It's a bit of a swizz.

The Q models have a big metal box under the bonnet but the R has a plastic one. A photo of the engine bay would be good to double check which it is.
Definitely an R, has it on the B-Pillar sticker and I can't see a big metal box.

What's the different at 7kWh, isn't the R quicker? That'll be my usual home charge...

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,617 Posts
Q models are a very small percentage of Zoe 40s.

R and Q both charge at the same rate on 7kw home chargers. R is more efficient so if you mostly charge at home the Q uses more electricity than the R. The range on the R is also slightly more than the Q so in real world the extra charging speed on rapid chargers doesn't make as much difference as you'd hope either.

I spent ages looking for a Q before I got an R in the end.

·
Registered
344 Posts
E-mail the dealer, tell them they'v fluffed up and ask them what they plan to do about it? Find the cost of an equivalent R90 and ask for that much to be paid to you, or get a refund for the whole car and buy another one.

It is their issue to pay for the collection of the vehicle.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,865 Posts
IIRC Ian Sampson of YouTube fame had a similar issue. He bought a used e-NV200 Combi for his wife and specifically confirmed with the dealer that it had the 6.6kW OBC. She was going to be in and out and wanted to get a reasonable top up between errands. After the car had been delivered from some distance, he discovered that it was only capable of charging at 3.3kW.

The dealer was very apologetic and held his hands up to their mistake. They would of lost a lot of money by having to retrieve the vehicle, prepare it for resale and then wait for another buyer. Also, there would now be an additional keeper on the logbook. As the Combis could be difficult to get hold of, Ian accepted a couple of grand as compensation.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
E-mail the dealer, tell them they'v fluffed up and ask them what they plan to do about it? Find the cost of an equivalent R90 and ask for that much to be paid to you, or get a refund for the whole car and buy another one.

It is their issue to pay for the collection of the vehicle.
The key issue is that it's their problem, not yours. Do you really want a Q? If so, then they need to recover it and refund you. If you will accept an R then how much have you overpaid and what is the minimum compensation that you'll accept?
Good luck. Personally I could not ever see the point of the Q, the reduction in efficiency for normal use would only be justified if you regularly (as in multiple times per week) went significantly beyond the range of the R, in which case was a Zoe the right car for you rather than a Cleo assuming that you don't have Tesla money.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
297 Posts
you can return it as not being what its advertised. However note that the R90/R110 do more miles per charge than the q90. Also worth noting that the quick charge, isnt that much quicker. You should expect it to charge at about 34-35kw, not actually 42

·
Administrator
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And, now I’ve sussed the digital dashboard, it’s also 10,000 miles over the stated mileage on the AutoTrader ad and conversations we had between myself and the dealer. Ah crap…

·
Registered
15,859 Posts
And, now I’ve sussed the digital dashboard, it’s also 10,000 miles over the stated mileage on the AutoTrader ad and conversations we had between myself and the dealer. Ah crap…
Pretty clear cut then. Have the conversation with them and see what they say.

To be honest on a ZE40 it doesn’t make a huge difference in the real world, but worth a discount on what you’ve paid, I’m sure.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,865 Posts
Don’t know how you paid, but always a good idea to pay a deposit of at least £100 with a credit card. Then they become equally liable with the dealer for any issues such as incorrect descriptions.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds like you need to ask for a full refund, and have them collect it. Or negotiate a hefty sum off the price you paid, I am talking £2k+ here.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I would be very careful over all of this as the dealer making one mistake might be viewed as unfortunate but two as deliberate (apologies to Oscar Wilde).
Decide first if you could accept what you have been given if the price were right, and if so what that price is. Then go back to the dealer with a simple take it back or (if you are willing to accept it) refund me this amount for providing something different to what we contracted for. Mention contacting Renault and Trading Standards if they fail to resolve the issue to your satisfaction within 3 days.

·
Administrator
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is before we talk about the charger I ordered yesterday with OLEV funding (using the reg), insurance change over, charging costs, train tickets... Oh man.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Include all of those costs in the demand to the dealer if they take the car back. You are the innocent and wronged party in this transaction and they are supposed to be the experts (particularly as a Renault dealer).

·
Administrator
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've contacted the dealer now via email - I hope they're honest about the mistakes and sort it quickly for me. They seemed like an honest and helpful bunch during the sales process for sure.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
They seemed like an honest and helpful bunch during the sales process for sure.
The true test of customer service comes after they have your money. :devilish:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts