Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have just purchased a Volt with 10k miles in White. We got what we consider a decent deal and collect the car tonight. I have heard that pre heating just prior to driving the car will increase the range slightly on EV only mode is this true? My partner needs to make a 32 mile commute on the motorway daily and was hoping to make this on the electric range.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,662 Posts
Preheating will use the mains power supply to help warm the cabin, it does seem to reduce the range slightly as it also pulls from the battery but no scraping windscreens and the car does not use as much battery power when moving so really want good.
Ps. Welcome.

·
Banned
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so does the car need to be left with the AC set as on before charging?

·
Banned
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice, the GF will love that :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,662 Posts
To activate, whilst plugged in, press remote button to lock the car (even if locked), then press and hold the lower right button on the remote until sidelights come on, a few seconds.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
In any case you will comfortably get 32 miles in electric in Summer; in Winter it will be more marginal but the pre-heat will help. Note the range is significantly higher at 65mph than 75mph and that the speedo under-reads - 70mph indicated is about 64mph actual, for instance :)

(At least that's true on cars without satnav and therefore GPS - I recommend comparing it against your phone showing the speed determined using GPS, or from a separate GPS satnav)

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
I would agree with @Richard Gledhill ^.

I have a 29.1 mile daily commute (each way) and most of that journey (about 24 miles) is either fast dual carriageway or motorway. I have managed it on battery every day since I got my car (March) with an increasing remaining range as the weather improved.

I tend to set the cruise at 65 if I'm running a little late, or 60 if I am in no particular rush. Those 5 miles an hour do make a difference too.

I charge at work so am able to complete my commuting on battery. My use of the engine kicks in on days when I am away from the office.

I'm sure you will love your Volt and welcome to the forum. :)

Derek

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Yes, welcome to the forum and to Ampera life! Should have said that before ;)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Don't forget to add yourself to the owner's map too.

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
Hi, we have just purchased a Volt with 10k miles in White. We got what we consider a decent deal and collect the car tonight. I have heard that pre heating just prior to driving the car will increase the range slightly on EV only mode is this true? My partner needs to make a 32 mile commute on the motorway daily and was hoping to make this on the electric range.

Welcome:)

32 miles in winter might not happen, on the coldest days we get about 27 miles and on the very cold days the ICE will run if the car wants it too no matter what you want or do.

Pre heating in winter is my wifes favourite feature, no more scraping windows or going out to a cold car.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
233 Posts
Perrin, I commute 45 miles each way to work and back and only twice haven't managed on battery only. Only had my car 9 weeks, so haven't had cold weather yet, so 29 miles should be a walk in the park!

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
The 2012 Volt will only give you a max of about 9.7 Kwh of power, in 15000 miles I have never (in a single charge) got near the 10 Kwh that the later model Ampera's get. Even if you for example go down a hill the Kwh shown will go down as you regen. 40 miles in summer is easy, 45 very doable, 50 quite hard and above that only possible with hyper-miling

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Welcome:)

32 miles in winter might not happen, on the coldest days we get about 27 miles and on the very cold days the ICE will run if the car wants it too no matter what you want or do.
You can set it to come on only in very cold weather though in the Ampera which in effect is never in my experience

1 - 15 of 15 Posts