Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just parked at parents as I am staying the night and the car has essentially bricked itself. It's switched on and in park but the service Steerin
g Lock is on and I cannot turn the car off.

I will arrange to get the car to bellingers tomorrow (I hope). But does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do now.

I have tried fuse F2 to no avail.
Is there any way of turning the car off without ruining anything?

Sean

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You should have success pulling the fuse... Odd that it hasn't worked for you. Iirc it's the red one, one up from the bottom... Is that the one you've pulled?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Can you get into the boot, and do you have a 10mm spanner? If yes then disconnect the 12v battery for a while.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Pressing and holding the power button for a fews seconds worked to power mine off when I had an HV interlock problem in the past.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:
Breakdown service arrived with a truck to take the car away - but couldn't get at the car due to a narrow driveway so spent a couple of hours on the car trying to get it to work. They cleared the fault and the car worked with a booster battery plugged into the front engine compartment. They them moved the car, plugged in a charger and left.

What they didn't do was reconnect the 12V battery in the boot

I get back in the evening and the car is unsurprisingly dead due to the 12V battery not being connected. [Sigh]

Today I park up in the same place at Parents, but this time keep the wheels straight. Its on an uphill slope. A few hours later "Service Steering Lock" and the car don't work (I did have F2 pulled). This time however I put back F2 and then disconnected and re-connected the 12V battery which worked.

Due at Bellingers on the 8th - they are ordering me a new steering wheel lock whatsit

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bellinger's have replaced something and the car now drives again. They said the control module for the steering lock - which seems logical. Done on the NetworkQ warranty from when I bought the car.
Phew. We have had this twice in 6 years 86k miles on our Volt, fuse pull trick doesn't work for us either. But both times disconnect the 12v battery, wait 5 mins, reconnect and the fault is fixed. If it kept coming back every few days would also take it to Belingers but touch wood, not a big problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts